RESPONSE OF PIGEONPEA(CAJANUS CAJAN) + MUNGBEAN (PHASEOLUS RADIATUS) INTERCROPPING SYSTEM TO PHOSPHORUS AND BIOFERTILIZERS
Citation :- RESPONSE OF PIGEONPEA(CAJANUS CAJAN) + MUNGBEAN (PHASEOLUS RADIATUS) INTERCROPPING SYSTEM TO PHOSPHORUS AND BIOFERTILIZERS .Legume Research.2013.(36):323-330
A field investigation was carried out during the kharif season of 2005-06 and 2006-07. Present study revealed that inter cropping of mungbean did not show adverse effect on the growth attributes, yield attributes and yield of pigeonpea. Phosphorus application @ 40 and 80 kg P2O5/ha and seed inoculation with Rhizobium and Rhizobium + Phosphorus Solubalizing Bacteria (PSB) significantly improved growth and yield attributes and grain yield of pigeonpea and pigeonpea + mungbean inter-cropping system. Cropping system (intercropping) markedly recorded higher pigeonpea equivalent yield (1451 and 1751 kg/ha) over sole pigeonpea (1235 and 1476 kg/ha) in both the years, respectively. The intercropping of mungbean in pigeonpea did not affect grain yield of pigeonpea (1194 and 1443 kg/ha) and instead gave an additional grain yield of mungbean (237 and 256 kg/ha). This additional grain yield of mungbean along with pigeonpea grain yield significantly produced higher pigeonpea equivalent yield (1451 and 1719 kg/ha) over sole pigeonpea as well as sole mungbean. The pigeonpea + mungbean intercropping system recorded significantly higher organic carbon in soil over sole pigeonpea. The phosphorus applied to crops markedly enhanced organic carbon, available P and K content of soil after the harvest of pigeonpea and mungbean.
- Ahlawat, I.P.S., Saraf, C.S. and Singh, A. (1985). Production potential of summer and rainy season pigeonpea intercropped with cowpea and green gram. Indian J. Agric. Sci., 55: 565-569.
- Chaudhari, P.R. and Gavhane, V.N. (2005). Effects of phosphate solubilizing biofertilizers on growth, nutrient uptake and yield of pigeonpea cv. ICPL-87. Research-on-Crops, 6(3): 454-456.
- Cochran, W.G. and Cox, G.M. (1957). Experimental Designs. 2nd edition, John Wiley and Sons, Inc., New York.
- Jat, H.S., Ahlawat, I.P.S. and Jat, M.L. (2000). Effect of land layouts, post-monsoon irrigation and fertilizers on nutrient uptake, water use efficiency and soil moisture extraction pattern by pigeonpea (Cajanus cajan). Journal of Farming System Research and Development 6(1&2): 138-141.
- Jat, H.S. and Ahlawat, I.P.S. (2003). Response of pigeonpea (Cajanus cajan) + groundnut (Arachis hypogaea) intercropping system to planting and phosphorus management. Indian Journal of Agronomy 48(3): 156-159.
- Kantwa, S.R., Ahlawat, I.P.S. and Gangaih, B. (2005). Effect of land configuration, post-monsoon irrigation and phosphorus on performance of sole and intercropped pigeonpea (Cajanus cajan). Indian Journal of Agronomy 50(4): 278-280.
- Kantwa, S.R., Ahlawat, I.P.S. and Gangaiah, B. (2006). Performance of Sole and inter cropped pigeonpea (Cajanus cajan) as influenced by land configuration, post-monsoon irrigation and phosphorus fertilization. Indian Journal of Agronomy 76(10): 635-637.
- Tisdale, S.L, Nelson, W.L., Beaton, J.D. and Havlin, J.L. (1995) Soil Fertility and Fertilizers. Fifth Edition, New Delhi, Prentice hall of India Pvt Ltd, pp 62-75.