PERFORMANCE OF LENTIL [Lens culinaris (Medic.)] AS INFLUENCED BY SULPHUR AND PHOSPHORUS FERTILIZATION
Citation :- PERFORMANCE OF LENTIL [Lens culinaris (Medic.)] AS INFLUENCED BY SULPHUR AND PHOSPHORUS FERTILIZATION.Legume Research.2014.(37):607-613
A field experiment in a factorial randomized block design with three replications were conducted to study the effect of three levels of phosphorus (0, 40 and 80 kg ha-1) and four levels of sulphur (0, 30, 60 and 90 kg ha-1) on yield and yield components of Sazak -91 cultivar of lentil in a calcareous alkaline soils in Yuzuncu Yil University campus during 2003 to 2005. The study showed that the lentil seed yield is 1750 kg ha-1 under the treatment of 40 kg ha-1 phosphorus and 90 kg ha-1 as compared to other treatments under study. Information gained from this study will be utilized to develop more efficient sulphur and phosphorus fertilization levels in winter lentil.
Yield and yield components
- Aktas, M. (1994). Plant nutrition and soil productivity. Ankara Univ. Agricultural Fac. Pub.:1361, Practice Guide:395.
- Aydeniz, A. (1985). Soil Amendment. Ankara Univ. Agricultural Fac. Pub.:928, Practice Guide, 263.
- Bremner, J.M. (1965). Methods of Soil Analysis, Part: 2, American Society of Agronomy Inc., Publisher Medison, Wiconsin, USA.
- Bouyoucos, G.S. (1951). Recalibration of the hydrometer methods for making mechanical analysis of soil. Agronomy J. 43 (1): 434-438.
- Cimrin, K.M. Togay, Y., Togay, N. and Sönmez, F. (2008). Effect of different sulphur and pyrite levels on yield, yield components and nutrients uptake of lentil (Lens culinaris Medic.). Indian Journal of Agricultural Sciences. 78 (6):543-7.
- Ciftci, C.Y. and Sehirali, S. (1984). The determination of varies phenotype and genotype differences in dry bean species. Ankara Univ. Institute of Science Publishing No, No:Field Crops 4, Ankara pp: 17.
- Dwivedi, A. K., Nayak, G. S. and Patel, K. S. (2000). Interaction effects of sulphur and phosphorus fertilizer on yield and nutrient composition of lentil grown on a vertisol. Journal of Soil Sci. & Crops, 2: 203-205.
- Eyuboglu, F. (1999). Productivity stage of Turkey’s soils. Republic of Turkey. Ministry of Village Affairs. Soil and Fertilizer Research Institute Pub. General Pub. No:220. Technical Pub. No: T-67.
- FAO, (2012). Food and Agriculture Organization. http// www.fao.org.
- Jackson, M.L. (1962). Soil Chemical Analysis. Engle Wood Cliff-New Jersey, Prentice Hall Inc.
- Kacar, B. (1984). Plant Nutrition. Ankara Univ. Agricultural Fac. Pub.: 899 Practice Guide:250.
- Kadýoglu, A. (2004). Plant Physiology. Practice Guide. Trabzon, Turkey.
- Kumar, P., Agarwal, J. P. and Chandra, S. (1993). Effect of inoculation, nitrogen and phosphorus fertilization on growth and yield of lentil. Lens Newsletter, 20 (1), 57-59.
- Matar A, Tarrent J, Ryan J (1992). Soil and fertilizer phosphorus and crop responses in the dry land Mediterranean zone. Advances in Soil Sci.18 (81):146.
- SAS (1998). Statistical Analysis Software. Version 6.12. SAS Institute, Cary, NC, USA.
- Sekhon, H. S., Kaul, J. N. and Sandhu, T. S., (1998). Effect of sulphur fertilization on growth and yield of lentil. Lens Newsletter, 25 (1/2): 30-32.
- Sepetoðlu, H. (2002). Grain legumes. Departmant of Field Crops, Faculty of Agriculture, University of Ege Publication: 24/4, Ýzmir, Turkey.
- Shivakumar, B. G., (2001). Perfomance of chickpea (Cicer arientinum) varieties as influenced by sulphur with and without phosphorus. Indian Journal of Argonomy. 46(2): 273- 276.
- Singh, B. P. and Singh, B. (1990). Response of french bean to phosphorus and boron in acid alfisols in Meghalaya. Journal of the Indian Society of Soil Science, 38 (4): 769-771.Singh, S., Singh, K. P., Sarkar, A. K. and Singh, S. (1998). Effect of sulphur on yield, protein content and S uptake by lentil in acid soil. Journal of Research. 10(2): 131-134;8 ref
- Singh, S. P. and Sing C. D. (2002). Response of lentil (Lens culinaris) cultivars to sources and levels of sulphur. Indian Journal of Agronomy 47(1): 94-97.
- Togay, Y. (2002). The effect of different zinc and phosphorus levels on the yield and yield components in lentil (Lens culinaris Medic.). Unpublished PhD Thesis Yuzuncu Yýl University, Van, Turkey.
- Togay, Y. Togay, N. and Dogan, Y. (2008 a). Research on the effect of phosphorus and molybdenum applications on the yield and yield parameters in lentil (Lens culinaris Medic.) African Journal of Biotechnology 7 (9): 1256-1260
- Togay, Y., Togay, N. Erman, M. and Dogan, Y. (2008 b). Performance of dry bean (Phaseolus vulgaris) as influenced by phosphorus and sulphur fertilization. The Indian Journal of Agricultural Sciences. 78 (4): 299-303.
- Venkateswarlu, U. and Ahlawat I. P. S. (1993). Effect of soil-moisture regime, seed rate and phosphorus fertilizer on growth and yield attributes and yield of late –sown lentil (Lens culinaris). Indian J. Agron. 38 (2): 236-243.
- TSMS, (2007). Reports of Turkish State Meteorological Service, Ankara, Turkey.
- Usta, S. (1995). Soil chemistry. Agricultural Fac.Pub.No:1387 Practice Guide: 401.