Chief EditorJ. S. Sandhu
Print ISSN 0250-5371
Online ISSN 0976-0571
NAAS Rating 6.67
Impact Factor 0.8 (2023)
Full Research Article
Effect of Irrigation Pattern and Irrigation Level on Growth of Glycyrrhiza inflata and the Medicinal Quality of its Root
First Online 15-07-2022|
Methods: Two irrigation patterns (surface drip irrigation and subsurface drip irrigation, i.e. DI and SDI) and three irrigation levels (40%-50%, 60%-70% and 80%-90% of the maximum soil water capacity) were used in this study.
Result: The plant height, crown width, root length, root biomass and concentrations of the five medicinal components (glycyrrhizic acid, glycyrrhetinic acid, glycyrrhizin, liquiritigenin and isoliquiritigenin) of the SDI treatments were significantly higher than those of the DI treatments. The above parameters reached their maximum under the SDI90 treatment (SDI with 80%-90% of the maximum soil water capacity). The rhizome growth of the liquorice was promoted with an increase in irrigation amount, but the biomass of the rhizomes under SDI treatment was significantly lower than that under DI treatment. Thus, the regime of SDI with a relatively high water supply can effectively promote the yield and medicinal quality of liquorice roots, while inhibiting the development of its rhizomes.
- Alam, M., Trooien, T.P., Dumler, T.J., Rogers D.H. (2002). Using subsurface drip irrigation for alfalfa. Journal of the American Water Resources Association. 6: 1715-1721.
- Albergaria, E.T., Oliveira, M., Fernando, A., Albuquerque, U.P. (2020). The effect of water deficit stress on the composition of phenolic compounds in medicinal plants. South African Journal of Botany. 131: 12-17. DOI: 10.1016/j.sajb.2020.02.002.
- Alshameri, A.M., Alghamdi, S.S., Gaafar, A.Z., Almunqedhi, B.M., Qahtan, A.A., Hodhod, M.S., Migdadi, H.M. (2020). Effect of water deficit on yield of different faba bean (Vicia faba L.) genotypes. Legume Research. 6: 718-722.
- Cao, Y.Y., Xu, W.X., Huang, Y.Y., Zeng, X. (2020). Licochalcone B, a chalcone derivative from Glycyrrhiza inflata, as a multifunctional agent for the treatment of Alzheimer’s disease. Natural Product Research. 5: 736-739. DOI: 10.1080/14786419.2018.1496429.
- Chen, P.Y., Chang, H.L., Ma, M. (2021). Feeding preference of Altica deserticola (Coleoptera: Chrysomelidae: Alticinae) for leaves of Glycyrrhiza inflata and G. uralensis. Anais da Academia Brasileira de Ciencias. 2: e20190267. DOI: 10.1590/0001-3765202120190267.
- Chinese Pharmacopoeia Commission. (2020). Pharmacopoeia of the People’s Republic of China. China Medical Science Press: Beijing (in Chinese).
- Colmer, T.D. and Voesenek, L.A.C.J. (2009). Flooding tolerance: Suites of plant traits in variable environments. Functional Plant Biology. 8: 665-681.
- Fan, M., Cao, A.N., Jin, X.J., Jin, L.J., Zhang, H. (2016). The effect of fertilization on yield and quality of triennial licorice in semiarid regions of Gansu province. Journal of Arid Land Resources and Environment. 12: 175-180.
- Farag, M.A., Porzel, A., Wessjohann, L.A. (2015). Unequivocal glycyrrhizin isomer determination and comparative in vitro bioactivities of root extracts in four Glycyrrhiza species. Journal of Advanced Research. 1: 99-104. DOI: 10.1016/ j.jare.2014.05.001.
- Fu, F., Chen, J., Li, Y.J., Zheng, Y.F., Li, P. (2013). Antioxidant and anti-inflammatory activities of six flavonoids separated from licorice. Food Chemistry. 2: 1063-1071.
- Githui, F., Hussain, A., Morris, M. (2020). Incorporating infiltration in the two-dimensional ANUGA mode for surface irrigation simulation. Irrigation Science. 4: 373-387.
- Kang, Y.H., Wang, F.X., Liu, H.J., Yuan, B,Z. (2004). Potato evapotranspiration and yield under different drip irrigation regimes. Irrigation Science. 3: 133-143.
- Kumar, P.R., Mali, S.S., Singh, A.K., Bhatt, B.P. (2021). Impact of irrigation methods, irrigation scheduling and mulching on seed yield and water productivity of chickpea (Cicer arietinum). Legume Research. 10: 1247-1253.
- Lal, G., Singh, R., Metha, R. S., Meena, N.K., Maheriya, S.P., Choudhary, M.K. (2020). Study on irrigation levels based on IW/CPE ratio and irrigation methods on growth and yield of Fenugreek (Trigonella foenium graecum L.). Legume Research. 6: 838-843.
- Ma, X.C., Sanguinet, K.A., Jacoby, P.W. (2020). Direct root-zone irrigation outperforms surface drip irrigation for grape yield and crop water use efficiency while restricting root growth. Agricultural Water Management. 231: 105993. DOI: 10.1016/j.agwat.2019.105993.
- Nie, K.H., Zou, X., Ji, S.L., Jiang, Z., Liu, C.H., Gao, H.Y., Li, G.Q. (2018). Clonal growth response of Hippophae rhamnoides ssp. sinensis to irrigation intensity and its hormone regulation mechanism. Acta Ecologica Sinica. 14: 4942-4952.
- Ram, H., Singh, G., Aggarwal, N. (2016). Effect of irrigation, straw mulching and weed control on growth, water use efficiency and productivity of summer mungbean. Legume Research. 2: 284-288.
- Reddy, M., Ganachari, A., Marradi, K.S., Patil, A.P. (2020). Growth of watermelon under surface and subsurface drip irrigation system in semi-arid region. Journal of Pharmacognosy and Phytochemistry. 9: 1300-1304.
- Umair, M., Hussain, T., Jiang, H.B., Ahmad, A., Yao, J.W., Qi, Y.Q., Zhang, Y.C., Min, L.L., Shen, Y.J. (2019). Water-saving potential of subsurface drip irrigation for winter wheat. Sustainability. 10: 2978. DOI: 10.3390/su11102978.
- Wang, J.W., Li, Y., Niu, W.Q. (2020). Responses of bacterial community, root-soil interaction and tomato yield to different practices in subsurface drip irrigation. Sustainability. 12: 2338. DOI: 10.3390/su12062338.
- Wang, H.Q., Song, W., Tao, W.W., Zhang, J.H., Zhang, X., Zhao, J.J., Yong, J.J., Gao, X.J., Guo, L.P. (2021). Identification wild and cultivated licorice by multidimensional analysis. Food Chemistry. 339: 128111. DOI: 10.1016/j.foodchem.2020.128111.
- Xiao, Y., Tang, J.B., Qing, H., Zhou, C.F., Kong, W.J., An, S.Q. (2011). Trade-offs among growth, clone and sexual reproduction in an invasive plant Spartina alterniflora responding to inundation and clonal integration. Hydrobiologia. 1: 353-363.
- Xu, B., Wu, G.R., Zhang, X.Y., Yan, M.M., Zhao, R., Xue, N.N., Fang, K., Wang, H., Chen, M., Guo, W.B., Wang, P.L., Lei, H.M. (2017). An overview of structurally modified glycyrrhetinic acid derivatives as antitumor agents. Molecules. 6: 924.
- Xu, J., Li, C.F., Meng, Q.F., Ge, J.Z., Wang, P., Zhao, M. (2015). Effects of different drip-irrigation modes at the seedling stage on yield and water-use efficiency of spring maize in northeast China. Acta Agronomica Sinica. 8: 1279-1286.
- Ye, Y.H., Xue, J.G., Xie, X.F., Huang, Z.Y. (2020). Effects of different disturbances on plant growth and content of main medicinal ingredients of rhizomatous clonal plant Glycyrrhiza uralensis in a natural population. Chinese Journal of Plant Ecology. 9: 951-961.
- Zhang, Q.Y. and Ye, M. (2009). Chemical analysis of the Chinese herbal medicine Gan-Cao (licorice). Journal of Chromatography A. 11: 1954-1969.
All claims expressed in this article are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of their affiliated organizations, or those of the publisher, the editors and the reviewers. Any product that may be evaluated in this article or claim that may be made by its manufacturer is not guaranteed or endorsed by the publisher.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.