Chief EditorJ. S. Sandhu
Print ISSN 0250-5371
Online ISSN 0976-0571
NAAS Rating 6.67
Impact Factor 0.8 (2023)
Full Research Article
Foliar Nutrition with Water Soluble Macro and Micro Nutrient Fertilizers for Yield Maximization in Bush Vegetable Cowpea
First Online 01-11-2021|
Methods: The field experiment was conducted at Coconut Research Station, Balaramapuram, during Rabi 2020-21. The experiment was laid out in randomized block design with 13 treatments in three replications. The treatments comprised of recommended dose of conventional fertilizers (RDF) NPK 20:30:10 kg ha-1 as control and RDF + foliar application of water-soluble fertilizers 19:19:19 (0.5%) and potassium nitrate (0.5%) with zinc sulphate (0.05%) and solubor (0.025%) in twelve different combinations.
Result: Results revealed that compared to RDF alone, RDF + foliar application of water-soluble macro and micro nutrient fertilizers at 45 DAS significantly improved the dry matter production, number of pods per plant and pod weight and recorded a yield enhancement of 22 to 55 per cent. Among the treatments, RDF + foliar application of 19:19:19 (0.5%) and solubor (0.025%) at 45 DAS recorded the highest dry matter production per plant (39.51 g), pods per plant (30.88 no.), pod yield (7410 kg ha-1), net return (82651 Rs ha-1) and B:C ratio (2.26). The treatments, RDF + foliar application of 19:19:19 (0.5%) at 45 DAS; RDF + foliar application of 19:19:19 (0.5%), zinc sulphate (0.05%) and solubor (0.025%) at 45 DAS; and RDF + foliar application of potassium nitrate (0.5%) and solubor (0.025%) at 45 DAS also recorded comparable number of pods per plant, green pod yield, net return and B:C ratio. Considering the highest green pod yield, net return and B:C ratio, RDF + foliar application of NPK 19:19:19 (0.5%) and solubor (0.025%) at 45 DAS could be recommended for yield maximization in bush type vegetable cowpea.
- Ali, M.R., Mehraj, H. and Uddin, A.F.M.J. (2015). Effects of foliar application of zinc and boron on growth and yield of summer tomato. Journal of Bioscience and Agriculture Research. 6(1): 512-517.
- Ali, S., Khan, A.Z., Mairaj, G., Arif, M., Fida, M. and Bibi, S. (2008). Assessment of different crop nutrient management practices for yield improvement. Australian Journal of Crop Science. 2(3): 150-157.
- Arora, S.K. Pandita, M.L. and Singh, K. (1990). Response of tomato varieties to plant growth chemical and micro-nutrients during summer and rainy season. Research Development Reporter. 7(1-2): 77-85.
- Bansode, C. and Math, K.K. (2018). Effect of foliar feeding of 19:19:19 and potassium nitrate water soluble fertilizers on major nutrient status of soybean in a vertisol. International Journal of Chemical Studies. 6(3): 2251-2252.
- Cochran, W.G. and Cox, G.M. (1965). Experimental Designs. John Willey and Sons Inc., New York, 182p.
- Dey, S., Prasad, S., Tiwari, P. and Sharma, P. (2017). Effect of urea, KCl, zinc placement and spray on growth of cowpea. Journal of Pharmacognosy. Phytochemistry. 6(6): 971-973.
- Directorate of Pulses Development. (2017). Cowpea. Available online http://dpd.gov.in [Accessed on 25 June 2021].
- Dixon, R.C. (2003). Foliar fertilization improves nutrient use efficiency. Fluid Journal 11: 11-12.
- Elhindi, K., El-Hendawy, S., Abdel-Salam, E.M. and Schmidhalter, U. (2016). Foliar application of potassium nitrate affects the growth and photosynthesis in coriander (Coriander sativum L.) plants under salinity. Progress in Nutrition. 18(1): 63-73.
- Fageria, N.K. (1992). Maximizing Crop Yields. Marcel Dekker, Inc., 274p.
- FIB (Farm Information Bureau). (2021). Farm Guide. Farm Information Bureau, Thiruvananthapuram. 452p.
- Guievence, I. and Badem, H. (2000). Effect of foliar application of different sources and levels of nitrogen on growth and yield of tomato. Indian Journal of Agricultural Science. 72(2): 104-105.
- Haleema, B., Rab, A. and Hussain, S.A. (2018). Effect of calcium, boron and zinc foliar application on growth and fruit production of tomato. Sarhad Journal of Agriculture. 34(1): 19-30.
- Haque, M.E., Paul, A.K., and Sarker, J.R. (2011). Effect of nitrogen and boron on the growth and yield of tomato (Lycopersicon esculentum Mill). International Journal of Bio-resource and Stress Management. 2: 277-282.
- Harris, K.D., Vanajah, T., and Puvanitha, S. (2018). Effect of foliar application of boron and magnesium on growth and yield of green chilli (Capsicum annum L.) [on-line]. Available: http://doi.org/10.4038/agrieast.v12i1.49 [15 Sep.2021].
- KAU (Kerala Agricultural University) (2016). Package of Practices Recommendations: Crops (15th ed.) Kerala Agricultural University, Thrissur. 392 p.
- Kavitha, M.P., Balakumbaham, R. and Prabukumar, G. (2019). Effect of foliar spray and fertilizer levels on growth and yield of vegetable cowpea [Vigna unguiculata (L.) Walp. Indian Journal of Agricultural Research. 53(6): 745-748.
- Khanda, C.M., Mohapatra, A.K. and Mishra, P.K. (1999). Effect of nitrogen and phosphorus fertilization on growth, yield and nutrient uptake of winter rice bean (Vigna umbiculata). Indian Journal of Agronomy. 44(4): 791-794.
- Krishna, O.N. and Kaleeswari, R.K. (2018). Response of pulses to foliar application of multi nutrients on yield, quality, uptake and soil nutrient status. Madras Agricultural Journal. 105(4-6): 176-181.
- Krishnasree, R.K., Chacko, S.R. and Raj, S.K. (2021). Foliar nutrition in vegetables-A Review. Journal of Pharmacognosy and Phytochemistry. 10(1): 2393-2398.
- Kuwar, P., Durgude, A.G., Kadam, S.R. and Patil, A.A. (2014). Response of water melon to foliar application of different water-soluble fertilizer. Asian Journal of Horticulture. 9(2): 431-434.
- Marschner, H.J. and Cakmak (1989). High light intensity enhances chlorosis and necrosis in leaves of zinc, potassium and magnesium deficient bean (Phaseolus vulgaris) plants. Journal of Plant Physiology. 134: 924-934.
- Meena, D., Bhushan, C., Shukla, A., Chaudhary, S. and Sirazuddin. (2017). Effect of foliar application of nutrients on nodulation, yield attributes, yield and quality parameters of urd bean [Vigna mungo (L.) Hepper]. Bioscan. 12(1): 411-414.
- Meena, R.S. (2010). Effect of boron on growth, yield and quality of tomato (Lycopersicon esculentum Mill.) cv. Pusa Ruby grown under semi-arid conditions. International Journal of Chemical Engineering Research. 2(2): 167-172.
- Mini, V. and Mathew, U. (2019). Yield maximization in okra through nutrient interventions in typic Ustipsamments of Kerala, India. International Journal of Plant Sciences. 14(1): 10-13
- Mondal, R., Mandal, J., Mallick, R. and Mohanta, S. (2017). Study of foliar fertilization of cucumber (Cucumis sativus L.). Hortflora Reserach Spectrum. 6(1): 31-34.
- Muthumanickam, K. and Anburani, A. (2017). Effect of combined application of inorganic and water-soluble fertilizers on growth parameters of chilli hybrid (Capsicum annuum L.). Asian Journal of Horticulture. 12(1): 117-120.
- Narayan, K., Dubey, P, Sharma, D., Katre, V.T. and Rajhans, K.C. (2011). Effect of foliar application of water-soluble fertilizers on flowering, yield and quality attributes of tomato. The Asian Journal of Horticulture. 6(1): 225-228.
- Narayanamma, M., Rani, R., Lalitha, K., Kameshwari, P. and Reddy, R.V.S.K. (2009). Effect of foliar application of micronutrients on the yield components, yield and nutrient content of bitter gourd. Orissa Journal of Horticulture. 37(2): 1-5.
- Pandav, A.K., Nalla, M.K., Aslam, T., Rana, M.K. and Bommesh, J.C. (2016). Effect of foliar application of micronutrients on growth and yield parameters in eggplant cv. HLB 12. Environment and Ecology. 35(3): 1745-1748.
- Praveena, R., Ghosh, G. and Singh, V. (2018). Effect of foliar spray of boron and different zinc levels on the growth and yield of Kharif green gram (Vigna radiata). International Journal of Current Microbiology and Applied Sciences. 7(8): 1422-1428.
- Premsekhar, M. and Rajashree, V. (2009). Performance of hybrid tomato as influenced by foliar feeding of water-soluble fertilizers. American Eurasian Journal of Sustainable Agriculture. 3: 33-36.
- Raj, A.B. (2019). Seed invigouration for yield enhancement in grain cowpea [Vigna unguiculata (L.) Walp]. M.Sc. (Ag) thesis, Kerala Agricultural University, Thrissur. 155p.
- Rajpoot, S.K. and Rana, D.S. (2016). Crop diversification with vegetable cowpea. Indian Farming. 66(1): 5-9.
- Ramadan, M.E. and Shalaby, O.A.E-S.A.E-N. (2016). Response of egg plant (Solanum melongena L.) to potassium and liquorice extract application under saline conditions. Acta Scientiarum Polonorum Hortorum Cultus. 15(6): 279-290.
- Reddy, T.T., Bidari, B.I. and Reddy, P.V.K. (2017). Correlation studies of quality, nutrient uptake and yield of chilli with the application of organic manures and foliar spray of water-soluble fertilizers. Journal of Research ANGRAU. 45(3): 52-55.
- Rout, G.R. and Das, P. (2003). Effect of metal toxicity on plant growth and metabolism: I. Zinc. Agronomie. 23(1): 3-11.
- Saravaiya, S.N., Wakchaure, S.S., Jadhav, P.B., Tekale, G.S, Patil, N.B. and Dekhane, S.S. (2014). Effect of foliar application of micronutrients in tomato (Lycopersicon esculentum Mill.) c.v. Gujarat tomato-2. Asian Journal of Horticulture. 9(2): 297-300.
- Sathya, S., Mahendran, P.P. and Arulmozhiselvan, K. (2013). Availability of nutrients as influenced by boron application in boron deficient soil of typic haplustalf. Agricultural Science Digest. 33(4): 317-320.
- Shnain, R.S., Prasad, V.M. and Saravanan.S. (2014). Effect of zinc and boron on growth, yield and quality of tomato (Lycopersicon esculentum Mill.) cv. Heem Sohna under protected cultivation. European Academic Research. 2(3): 4572-4597.
- Singh, H.M. and Tiwari, J.K. (2013). Impact of micronutrient spray on growth, yield and quality of tomato (Lycopersicon esculentum Mill). HortFlora Research Spectrum. 2(1): 87-89.
- Singh, S.S. and Tiwari, R.S. (1989). Effect of micro-nutrients on the growth characters of onion (Allium cepa L.) cv.” Pusa Red”. Haryana Journal of Horticultural Science. 18(2): 146-149.
- Singhal, V.K., Patel, G.G., Patel, D.H., Kumar, U., and Saini, L.K. (2015). Effect of foliar application of water-soluble fertilizers on growth, yield and economics of vegetable cowpea production. The Ecosan. 8: 79-83.
- Sultana, S., Naser, H.M., Akhter, S. and Begum, R.A. (2016). Effectiveness of soil and foliar application of zinc and boron on the yield of tomato. Bangladesh Journal of Agricultural Research. 41(3): 411-418.
- Tariq, M. and Mott, C.J.B. (2007). Effect of boron on the behavior of nutrients in soil-plant systems- A review. Asian Journal of Plant Science. 6(1): 195-202.
- Thakur, D., Kumar, P. and Shukla, A.K. (2019). Impact of foliar feeding of boron supplements on growth, yield contributing characters and quality of cauliflower. Biological Forum- An International Journal. 11(2): 77-82.
- Thakur, O.P. Sharma, P.P. and Singh, K.K. (1991). Effect of nitrogen and phosphorus with and without boron on curd yield and stalk rot incidence in cauliflower. Vegetable Science. 18(2): 115-121.
- Vekaria, G.B., Talpada, M.M., Sutaria, G.S. and Akbari, K.N. (2013). Effect of foliar nutrition of potassium nitrate on the growth and yield of green gram (Vigna radiata L.). Legume Research International Journal. 36(2): 162-164.
- Wasaya, A., Shabir, M.S., Hussain, M., Ansar, M., Aziz, A., Hassan, W. and Ahmed, I. (2017). Foliar application of zinc and boron improved the productivity and net returns of maize grown under rainfed conditions of Pothwar plateau. Journal of Soil Science and Plant Nutrition. 17(1): 33-45.
- Yadav, H.K., Dogra, P. and Yadav, V. (2014). Effect of foliar application of N and Zn on growth and yield of cauliflower (Brassica oleracea var. botrytis L.) cv. Snowball. Agriculture for Sustainable Development. 2(1): 56-58.
- Zhao, D., Oosterhuis, D.M. and Bednarz, C.W. (2001). Influence of potassium deficiency on photosynthesis, chlorophyll content, and chloroplast ultra-structure of cotton plants. Photosynthetica. 39: 103-109.
All claims expressed in this article are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of their affiliated organizations, or those of the publisher, the editors and the reviewers. Any product that may be evaluated in this article or claim that may be made by its manufacturer is not guaranteed or endorsed by the publisher.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.