Chief EditorJ. S. Sandhu
Print ISSN 0250-5371
Online ISSN 0976-0571
NAAS Rating 6.67
Impact Factor 0.8 (2023)
Detection of Epistasis for Biometrical Traits in Urdbean [Vigna mungo (L.) Hepper] under Mid-hill Conditions of Northwestern Himalayas
First Online 07-01-2021|
Methods: Eighty one triple test cross progenies developed by crossing 27 lines with three testers viz., HPBU-111, Him Mash-1 and their F1s cross between (HPBU-111 x Him Mash-1). F1 seeds were produced by cross between HPBU-111 x Him Mash-1 during Kharif 2015. By crossing these three testers with 27 lines (females), 81 hybrids were developed during Kharif 2016. The eighty one F1 hybrids along with 27 lines and 3 testers were sown during Kharif 2017 in a randomized block design with three replications.
Result: Epistasis was found to be an integral part of genetic variations for the traits viz., days to 50% flowering, days to 75% maturity, plant height (cm), number of branches per plant, pod length (cm), number of pods per plant, number of seeds per pod, seed yield per plant (g), biological yield per plant (g), 100 seed weight, harvest index (%) and protein content (%). i type epistatic interactions (additive x additive) had significant effects for all the traits except, plant height (cm), pod length (cm), number of seeds per pod and protein content (%). In addition to i (additive x additive), j+l (additive x dominance + dominance x dominance) type epistatic interactions was observed for all of the traits. Both additive and non-additive gene actions are important for most of the traits studied hence, simple selection procedures in the immediate progenies will not be so effective for achieving improvement in these traits.
- AOAC. (1970). Official Methods of Analysis of the Association of Analytical Chemists, 11th edition. AOAC, Washington, USA.
- Barona, M.A.A., Filho, J.M.C., Santos, V.D.S. and Geraldi. I.O. (2012). Epistatic effects on grain yield of soybean [Glycine max (L.) Merrill]. Crop Breeding Applications Biotechnic. 12: 231-36.
- Bindra, S., Mittal, R.K., Sood, V.K. and Chaudhary, H.K. (2017). Genetic analysis of various quantitative traits in inter-varietal crosses of Vigna mungo. Legume Research. 40: 795-802.
- Comstock, R.E. and Robinson, H.F. (1952). Estimation of average dominance of genes. In: Heterosis, Iowa State College Press and Ames: 494-516.
- Crawford, L., Zeng, P., Mukherjee, S. and Zhou, X. (2017). Detecting epistasis with the marginal epistasis test in genetic mapping studies of quantitative traits. PLoS Genet. 13: e1006869. https:// doi. org/10.1371/journal pgen. 1006879.
- Datt, S., Noren, S.K., Bhadana, V.P. and Sharma, P.R. (2011). Gene action for yield and its components in soybean [Glycine max (L.) Merrill]. Vegetos. 24: 89-92.
- Jinks, J.L. and Perkins, J.M. (1970). Detection and estimation of genotype environmental, linkage and epistatic components of variation for a metrical trait. Heredity. 25: 157-177.
- Jinks, J.L. and Perkins, J.M. (1970). A general method for the detection of additive, dominance and epistatic components of variation III F2 and backcross populations. Heredity. 25: 419-29.
- Jinks, J.L. and Virk, D.S. (1977). A modified triple test cross analysis to test and allow for inadequate testers. Heredity. 39: 165-170.
- Jinks, J.L., Perkins, J.M. and Breese, E.L. (1969). A general method of detecting additive, dominance and epistatic variation for metrical traits. II. Application to inbred lines. Heredity. 24: 45-57.
- Kearsey, M.J. and Jinks, J.L. (1968). A general method of detecting additive, dominance and epistatic variation for metrical traits I. Theory. Heredity. 23: 403-09.
- Keerthi, C.M., Ramesh, S., Byregowda, S., Chandrakant, N., Vaijayanthi, P.V, Shivakumar, M.S and Mohan Rao A. (2015). Epistasis-driven bias in the estimates of additive and dominance genetic variance in Dolichos bean (Lablab purpureus L.) Var. Lignosus. Journal of Crop Improvement. 29: 542-564.
- Khajudparn P., Poolsawat, O. and Tantasawat, P.A. (2019). Genetic studies in mungbean [Vigna radiata (L.) Wilczek]. Legume Research - An International Journal. 42: 50-54.
- Khattak, G.S.S., Haq, M.A., Ashraf, M., Tahir, G.R. and Marwat, E.U.K. (2001). Detection of epistasis and estimation of additive and dominance components of genetic variation for synchrony in pod maturity in mungbean [Vigna radiata (L.) Wilczek]. Field Crops Research. 72: 211-219.
- Kumar, N., Sood, B.C., Sharma, T.R., Chahota, R.K. and Sood, S. (2011). Determination of gene action for some biometrical traits in Lens culinaris Medik. under mid-hill conditions of northwestern Himalayas. Journal of Genetics. 90: 493-497.
- Lal, C., Hariprasanna, K., Chikani, B.M. and Gor, H.K. (2014). Inter-allelic interactions in the inheritance of physical-quality traits in peanut (Arachis hypogaea L.). Australian Journal Crop Sciences. 8:1049-55.
- Lukoki, L., Marechal, R. and Otoul, E. (1980). Les ancetres sauvages des haricots cultives: Vigna radiata (L.) Wilczek et V. mungo (L.) Hepper. Bulletin du Jardin Botanique National de Belgique. 50: 385-391.
- Moreto, A.L., Ramalho, M.A.P. and Bruzi, A.T. (2012). Epistasis in an Andean × Mesoamerican cross of common bean. Euphytica. 186: 755-60.
- Nehvi, F.A., Wani, S.A. and Dar, Z.A. (2007). Triple test cross analysis of forage yield components in oats (Avena sativa L.). Indian Journal of Genetics. 67: 211-212.
- Parihar, A.K., Dixit, G.P. and Singh, D. (2016). Gene interactions and genetics for yield and its attributes in grass pea (Lathyrus sativus L.). Journal of Genetics. 95: 947 956.
- Patial, R., Mittal, R.K., Sood, V.K. and Ahmed, S. (2020). Studies on combining ability for seed yield and its related traits in blackgram [Vigna mungo (L.) Hepper]. Legume Research. online Published article, doi: 10.18805/LR-4187.
- Rialch, I. and Sharma, J.D. (2020). Determination of gene action for yield and its related traits in soybean under north-western Himalayas conditions of India. Journal of Environmental Biology. 41: 79-84.
- Saleem, M.Y., Mirza, J.I. and Haq, M.A. (2009). Triple test cross analysis of some physiomorphological traits in basmati rice (Oryza sativa L.). Pakistan Journal of Botany. 41: 2411-2418.
- Senthamizhselvi, S., Muthuswamy, A. and Shunmugavalli, N. (2019). Genetic variability, correlation and path coefficient analysis for yield and yield components in blackgram [Vigna mungo (L.) Hepper]. Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding. 10: 1600-1605.
- Sharma, A., Singh, G., Singh, Y. and Sood, S. (2008). Detection of genetic components of variation for biometrical traits in garden pea. International Journal of Vegetable Sciences.14: 67-80.
- Singh, H.C., Srivastava, R.L. and Singh, R. (2006). Additive, dominance and epistatic components of variation for some metric traits in field pea. Indian Journal of Pulses Research. 19: 170-172.
- Singh, S. and Singh, R.B. (1976). Triple test cross analysis in two wheat crosses. Heredity. 37: 173-177.
- Singh, V., Singh, R.J., Singh, P.K., Pandey, R. and Shahi, B.P. (2011). Additive, dominance and epistatic variation for seed yield and its components in pea. Environment and Ecology. 29: 2113-2115.
- Sinha, S., Mishra, S.B., Kumar, A. and Pandey, S.S. (2020). Estimation of gene effects for yield attributing traits in mungbean and urdbean for intra and interspecific crosses. Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding. 11: 81-85.
- Sohel, M.H., Miah, M.R., Mohiuddin, S.J., Islam, A.K.M.S., Rahman, M.M. and Haque, M.A. (2016). Correlation and path coefficient analysis of Blackgram (Vigna mungo L.). Journal of Bioscience and Agriculture Research. 7: 621-629.
- Virk, D.S. and Jinks, J.L. (1977). The consequences of using inadequate testers in the simplified triple test-cross. Heredity. 38: 237-51.
- Yadav, S.M., Prakash, V. and Khedar, O.P. (2017). Gene action of yield and its contributing characters in mungbean [Vigna radiata (L.) Wilczek] under different environments. Journal of Pharmacognosy and Phytochemistry. 6: 999-1003.
All claims expressed in this article are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of their affiliated organizations, or those of the publisher, the editors and the reviewers. Any product that may be evaluated in this article or claim that may be made by its manufacturer is not guaranteed or endorsed by the publisher.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.