Chief EditorJ. S. Sandhu
Print ISSN 0250-5371
Online ISSN 0976-0571
NAAS Rating 6.67
Impact Factor 0.8 (2023)
Morphological and Molecular Screening of Soybean Genotypes against Yellow Mosaic Virus Disease
First Online 28-09-2020|
Methods: The field screening was performed to identify YMV resistant genotypes. The field data was compared with molecular data recorded on the basis of gene specific SSR molecular markers.
Result: During field study, 11 genotypes were found to be highly resistant, 26 resistant, 6 moderately resistant, 4 moderately susceptible, 3 susceptible, while three genotypes namely: JS335, JS 97-52 and RVS 2001-4 were found to be highly susceptible. In molecular analysis three genotypes viz.,: JS 20-29, JS 20-69 and JS 20-98 were found to be resistant against YMV. Among the polymorphic SSR markers the highest genetic diversity (0.4785) was observed with Satt554 while lowest genetic diversity (0.037) was observed with Satt308. Similarly polymorphism information content (PIC) was highest (0.364) in Satt554 and lowest (0.0363) in Satt308 among all polymorphic markers used for screening against YMV. The resistant genotypes identified in this study may be used as donor of resistance gene against YMV to develop improved genotypes which would stand as barrier against spread of the disease to newer areas and thus it can boost production and productivity of soybean in the country.
- Anonymous, (2015). Soybean Scenario-A Snippet. ICAR-Directorate of Soybean Research. pp 2.
- Bhattacharya, P.K., HariHar, R., Kole, P.C. (1999). Inheritance of the resistance to yellow mosaic virus in the interspecific crosses in soybean. Euphytica. 108: 157-159.
- Bock, C.H., Poole, G.H., Parker, P.E., Gottwald, T.R. (2010). Plant disease severity estimated visually, by digital photography and image analysis and by hyperspectral imaging. Critical Reviews in Plant Sciences. 29: 59-107.
- Buruah, S., Sharma, M.K., Baishya, D., Sharma, A.A., Borah, R., Bhuyan, J. (2014). Genetic variation for seed yield and Yellow Mosaic Virus Resistance in Soybean [Glycine max (L.) Merrill]. International Journal of Scientific and Research Publication. 4: 2250-3153.
- Clemente, T.E., Cahoon, E.B. (2009). Soybean oil: Genetic approaches for modification of functionality and total content. Plant Physiology. 151:1030-1040.
- Ganapathy, T. (2003). Annual Meeting and Symposium on Recent Developments in the Diagnosis and Management of Plant Diseases for meeting Global Challenges, December 18-20, 2003, University of Agricultural Sciences, Dharwad, p.30.
- Govindan, K., Nagarajan, P., Angappan, K. (2014). Molecular studies on transmission of mung bean yellow mosaic virus (MYMV) by Bemisia tabaci Genn. in mungbean. African Journal of Agricultural Research. 9: 2874-2879.
- Gupta, G.K., Chouhan, G.S. (2005). Symptoms Identification and Management of Soybean Diseases. Technical Bulletin no.10, National Research Centre for Soybean. Indore. 92p.
- Haq, Q.M.L, Ali, A., Malathi, V.G. (2010). Engineering resistance against Mungbean yellow mosaic India virus Using Antisense RNA. Indian Journal of Virology. 21:82-85.
- Hyten, L., Choi, I., Song, Q., Specht, J.., Carter, T.E., Shoemaker, R.., Hwang, E., Matukumalli, L.K., Cregan, P.B. (2010). Integrated genetic linkage map of soybean and the development of a 1536 universal soy linkage panel for quantitative trait loci mapping. Crop Science. 50: 960-968.
- Karthikeyan, A.S, Vanitharani, R., Balaji V., Shivprasad P.V., Parameshwari, C., Saminathan, M., Veluthambi, K. (2004). Analysis of an isolate of mungbean yellow mosaic virus (MYMV) with a highly variable DNA B component. Archives of Virology. 149: 1643-1652.
- Koranne, K.D., Tyagi, P.C. (1985). Screening of soybean germplasm against yellow mosaic diseases. Indian Journal of Genetics and Plant Breeding. 45: 30-33.
- Kumar, B., Talukdar, A., Verma, K., Bala, I., Harish, G.D., Gowda, S., Lal, S.K., Sapra, R.L., Singh, K.P. (2015). Mapping of yellow mosaic virus (YMV) resistance in soybean [Glycine max (L.) Merr.] through association mapping approach. Genetica. 143:1-10.
- Pancheshwar, D.K., Mishra, S., Kumar, S., Singh, G. (2016). Screening of resistance soybean [Glycine max (L.) Merr.] genotypes against the yellow mosaic virus (YMV) disease. International Journal of Agriculture Sciences. 8: 1362-1363.
- Pandhya, B.P., Singh, D.P., Sharma, B.L. (1977). Screening of mungbean [Vigna radiata (L.) Wilczek] germplasm for field resistance to yellow mosaic virus. Tropical Grain Legume Bulletin. 7:13-14.
- Ram, H.H., Pushpendra, K., Singh, K., Verma, V.D. (1984). New breeding lines of soybean having a gene for resistance to yellow mosaic virus from Glycine soja Linn. Sieb and Zucc. Indian Journal of Agriculture Sciences. 54: 1027-1029.
- Rani, A., Kumar, V., Gill, B.S., Morya, V., Rawal, R. (2016). Assessment of genetic diversity of soybean genotypes differing in resistance against yellow mosaic virus using simple sequence repeat markers. Legume Research-An International Journal. 39: 674-681.
- Saghai-Maroof, M.A., Soliman, K.M., Jergensen, R.A., Allard, R.W. (1984). Ribosomal DNA spaces-length polymorphism in barley Mendelian inheritance, chromosomal location and population dynamics. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA, 81: 8014-8018.
- Sahu P., Khare D., Tripathi N., Saini N. (2012). Molecular screening for disease resistance as strategic and tactical gene pool in soybean. Journal of Food Legumes. 25: 200-205.
- Salam, S.A, Patil, M.S., Salimath, P.M. (2009). Evaluation of mungbean cultures against MYMV in Karnataka under natural conditions. Legume Research. 32: 286-289.
- Sharma, A.N., Gupta, G.K., Verma, R.K., Sharma, O.P., Bhagat, S., Amaresan, N., Saini, M.R., Chattopadhayay, C., Sushil, S.N., Asre, R. (2014). Integrated Pest Management for Soybean. pp. 2 (http://www.ncipm.org.in).
- Silodia, K., Bhale, U., Bhale, M.S. (2018) Status and evaluation of soybean varieties against Mungbean Yellow Mosaic (MYMV) disease under changing climatic conditions of Kaymore plateau zone, Madhya Pradesh, India. Indian Journal of Agricultural Research. 52: 686-690.
- Singh B.B., Mullick, A.S. (1978). Inheritance of resistance to yellow mosaic in soybean. Indian Journal of Genetics. 34: 400-404.
- Srivastava, A.K., Prajapati, R.K. (2012). Influence of weather parameters on outbreak of Mungbean Yellow Mosaic Virus in Black gram (Vigna mungo L.) of Bundelkhand zone of central India. Journal of Agricultural Physics. 12: 143-151.
- Tomar, J., Saini, N., Goyal, B.S., Tripathi, N., Shrivastava, A.N., Verma, R.K., Tiwari, S. (2011). Assessment of genetic diversity among Rhizoctonia root rot resistant soybean genotypes. Journal of Food Legumes. 24(4): 267-272.
- Tripathi, N., Khare, D. (2016). Molecular approaches for genetic improvement of seed quality and characterization of genetic diversity in soybean: a critical review. Biotechnology Letters. 38: 1645-1654.
- Varma, A., Dhar, A.K., Mandal, B. (1992). In: Proceedings of Mungbean Yellow Mosaic Disease. [Green, S.K. and Kim D. (eds.)], Asian Vegetable Research and Developmental Centre, Bangkok, Thailand, pp. 8.
- Yadav, C.B., Bhareti, P., Muthamilarasan, M., Mukherjee, M., Khan Y., Rathi, P., Prasad, M. (2015). Genome-wide SNP identification and characterization in two soybean cultivars with contrasting Mungbean Yellow Mosaic India Virus disease resistance traits. PLoS ONE. 10: e123897.
All claims expressed in this article are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of their affiliated organizations, or those of the publisher, the editors and the reviewers. Any product that may be evaluated in this article or claim that may be made by its manufacturer is not guaranteed or endorsed by the publisher.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.