Chief EditorJ. S. Sandhu
Print ISSN 0250-5371
Online ISSN 0976-0571
NAAS Rating 6.67
Impact Factor 0.8 (2023)
Influence of seed polymer coating with micronutrients and foliar spray on seed yield of chickpea (Cicer arietinum L.)
First Online 13-06-2016|
A field experiment was conducted at the Department of Seed Science and Technology, College of Agriculture, University of Agricultural Sciences, Raichur to study the influence of seed polymer coating with micronutrients and foliar spray on seed yield of chickpea. The experiment consisted of seventeen different seed polymer coating and foliar spray treatments with various combinations of ZnSO4, boron, ammonium molybdate, FeSO4 including control. Among the different treatments imposed, seed polymer coating ( @ 6 ml/kg) of chickpea seeds with the combination of ZnSO4 + Boron + Ammonium molybdate + FeSO4 (each @ 2 g/kg) of seed along with two foliar sprays (0.5 % + 0.2 % + 0.1 % + 0.5 %, respectively, ZnSO4 and FeSO4 in EDTA form) at an interval of 10 days during flowering stage (50 and 60 DAS) recorded significantly higher leaf area index, chlorophyll content, plant height, effective root nodules plant-1, pods plant-1, seed yield compared to all other treatments and control.
- Anonymous (2011). Guidelines for use of micronutrients, soil ameliorants and integrated nutrient management practices in National Food Security Mission States. pp 1-27.
- Awad, S. G., Attia, S. A. M., Bakr, A. A. and Osman, A. O. (1994). Effect of micronutrients-vitavax interaction on peanut plant grown on sandy soils. Ann. Agric. Sci. Caire, 39: 227-237.
- Balachander, D., Nagarjan, P. and Gunasekharan, S. (2003). Effect of micronutrient on nodulation and yield of black gram in acid soil condition. Legume Res. 26: 153-154.
- Barker, A. V. and Pilbeam, D. J. (2007). Handbook of Plant Nutrition. New York, USA, pp 613.
- Campo, R. J., Albino, U. B. and Hungria, M. (2000). Importance of molybdenum and cobalt to the biological nitrogen fixation. In: Pedrosa, [F.O., Hungria, M., Yates, G., Newton, W.E. (eds.)]. Nitrogen Fixation: From Molecules to Crop Productivity, Springer, Netherlands, pp. 597-598.
- Dixit, P. M. and Elamathi, S. (2007). Effect of foliar application of DAP, micronutrients and NAA on growth and yield of green gram (Vigna radiata L.). Legume Res. 30: 305-307.
- Geeta Goudar, Mudenoor, M. G. and Savalgi, V. P. (2008). Effect of micronutrient supplemented Bradyrhizobium biofertilizers on nodulation, dry matter production and yield of soybean (Glycine max (L.) Merrill). Legume Res. 31: 20-25.
- Geetha, K. N., Sahankar, A. G. and Shivashankar, K. (1996). Effect of Mo, Zn and Ca on productivity of groundnut. J. Oilseeds Res. 13: 167-172.
- Gupta, S. C. and Sahu, S. (2012). Response of chickpea to micronutrient and biofertilizers in vertisol. Legume Res. 35: 248-251.
- John S. S., Bharati, Natesan, P. and Raja, K. (2005). Seed film coating technology for maximizing the growth and productivity of maize. Karnataka J. Agric. Sci. 18: 349-356.
- Johnson, S. E., Lauren, J. G., Welch, R. M. and Duxbury, J. M. (2005). A comparison of the effects of micronutrient seed priming and soil fertilization on the mineral nutrition of chickpea (Cicer arietinum L), lentil (Lens culinaris), rice (Oryza sativa) and wheat (Triticum aestivum) in Nepal. Experimental Agriculture. 41: 427-448.
- Kaleeswari. R. K., Rajeswari. R. and Prabhaharan. J. (2013). A handbook of Soil Fertility. Satish Serial Publishing House. pp 9-18.
- Mahakulkar, B. V., Bathkal, B. G. and Wanjari, S. S. (1991). Effect of S, B and Mn on growth and yield of summer peanut. Ann. Plant Physiol. 5: 129-131.
- Marschner, H. (1995). Mineral Nutrition of Higher Plants, 2nd edn. Academic Press, London, UK.
- Masuthi, D., Vyakaranahal, B. S. and Deshpande, V. K. (2009). Influence of pelleting with micronutrient and botanical on growth, seed yield and quality of vegetable cowpea. Karnataka J. Agric. Sci. 22: 898-900.
- Mengel, K., Kirkby, E. A., Kosegarten, H. and Appel, T. (2001). Principles of Plant Nutrition. Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht, The Netherlands.
- Panse, V. G. and Sukhatme, P. V. (1985). Statistical Methods for Agricultural Workers, ICAR-New Delhi (India). pp. 167-174.
- Poongothai, S. and Chitdeshwari. T. (2003). Response of blackgram to multi-micronutrients. Madras Agric. J. 90: 442-443.
- Ramesh, K. and Thirumurugan, V. (2001). Effect of seed pelleting and foliar nutrition on growth of soybean. Madras Agric. J. 88: 465-468.
- Singh, B., Natesan, S. K. A., Singh, B. K. and Usha, K. (2003). Improving zinc efficiency of cereals under zinc deficiency. Current Sci. 88: 36-14.
- Srimathi, P., Kavitha, S. and Renugadevi, J. (2007). Influence of seed hardening and pelleting on seed yield and quality in green gram (Vigna radiata ) Cv. Co-6. Indian J. Agric. Res. 41: 122-126.
- Tanaka, M. and Fujiwar, T. (2008). Physiological roles and transport mechanisms of boron: perspectives from plants. European J. Physiol. 456: 671-677.
- Tripathy, S. K., Patra, A. K. and Samui, S. C. (1999). Effect of micronutrients on nodulation, growth, yield and nutrient uptake by groundnut. Indian J. Plant Physiol. 4: 207-209.
- Vijaya, J. and Ponnuswamy, A. S. (1998). Effect of seed fortification and pelleting in Black gram. Madras Agric. J. 85: 549-551.
All claims expressed in this article are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of their affiliated organizations, or those of the publisher, the editors and the reviewers. Any product that may be evaluated in this article or claim that may be made by its manufacturer is not guaranteed or endorsed by the publisher.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.