Chief EditorJ. S. Sandhu
Print ISSN 0250-5371
Online ISSN 0976-0571
NAAS Rating 6.67
Impact Factor 0.8 (2023)
Organic seaweed nano powder effect on growth and yield attributes of pigeonpea
First Online 16-11-2016|
In the field experiment Sargassum myricocystum extract at 1% concentration for 3 h soaking with foliar spray 5% at vegetative and flowering stages were effective by recording higher plant height, total chlorophyll content, leaf area index, crop growth rate, relative growth rate and yield attributes, such as pod yield plant-1 and seed yield ha-1 in both kharif, 2014 and rabi, 2015 seasons. The per cent increase of pod yield plant-1 and seed yield ha-1 was 13.4 and 18.3%, respectively. The other seaweeds viz., Gracilaria edulis, Caulerpa racemosa were less effective, but the effect was better than water.
- Abdel-Mawgoud, A. M. R., Tantaway, A. S., Hafez, M. M. and Habib, H. A. M. (2010). Seaweed extract improves growth, yield and quality of different watermelon hybrids. Res. J. Agri. & Biol. Sci., 6: 161-168.
- Abhilash, E.S., Jacob, J. and Parayi, S. P. (2013). Effect of sea weed (Caulerpa racemosa) extract on biochemical variations, growth and yield of Vigna mungo. Asia Pacific Journal of Environment Ecology and Sustainable Development, 1: 3-5.
- Arnon, D. L. (1949). Copper enzymes in isolated chloroplast polyphenoloxidase in Beta vulgaris. Plant Physiol., 24: 1 –15.
- Arthur, G. D., Strik, W. A. and Van Staden, J. (2003). Effect of seaweed concentrated on the growth and yield of three verities of Capsicum annum. S. Afr. J. Bot., 69: 207- 211.
- Asir Selin Kumar, R., Effie, A. and Saravana Babu, S. (2007). Studies on the effect of seaweed and seagrass liquid fertilizers on the fruit length and weight of Abelmoschus esculentus L. var. hybrid- 10. Seaweed Res. Utiln., 29: 101- 103.
- Bhosle, N. B., Dhargalkar, V. K. and Untawale, A. G. (1975). Effect of seaweed extract on the growth of Phaseolus vulgaris L. Indian Journal of Marine Science, 4: 207-210.
- Blunden, G. (1994). Agricultural uses of seaweeds and seaweed extracts. In: Seaweed resources in Europe: Uses and potential. [M. D.Guiry and G. Bluden (eds)]. Wiley, Chicester. pp: 65- 81.
- Blunden, G. and Gordon, S. M. (1986). Betaines and their sulphono analogues in marine algae. In: Progress in Phycological Research, [Round F.E, Chapman D.J (eds)] 4. Biopress Ltd, Bristol, pp 39–80.
- Dhargalkar, V. K. and Pereira, N. (2005). Seaweed: Promising plant of the millennium. Sci. Cul., 71: 60-66.
- Flora, G. and Rani, S. M. V. (2012). Seaweed concentrates as an alternative source to control tikka disease in groundnut. Seaweed Res. Utiln., 34:127-131.
- Kocira, A., Kornas, R. and Kocira, S. (2013). Effect assessment of kelpak on the bean yield Phaseolus vulgaris (L.). J. Cent. Eur. Agric., 14: 67-76.
- Rangaswamy, R. (2002). A Text book of Agricultural Statistics. New Age International Ltd., India. Pp. 244-433.
- Rathore, S.S., Chaudhary, D. R., Boricha, G.N., Ghosh, A., Bhatt, B.P., Zodape, S.T. and Patolia, J.S. (2009). Effect of seaweed extract on the growth, yield and quality of soybean (Glycine max) under rain fed conditions. South African Journal of Botany, 75: 351-355.
- Renuka Bai, N., Lijomol Jacob, Mary Christi, R. and Christy Kala, T. and Subitha Shajini, R. (2013). Bioefficiency of seaweed liquid fertilizer on the growth and yield of Vigna radiata. Seaweed Res. Utiln., 35: 150-156.
- Sivakumar, K. and Gandhi, A. (2010). Potentiality of Sargassum wightii as a fertilizer on blackgram and their growth and yield by image analysis. Seaweed Res. Utiln., 32: 75-83
- Strik, W. A., Novak, M. S. and Van Staden, J. (2003). Cytokinins in macroalgae. Plant Growth Regul., 41: 13 - 24.
- Suganthi, A. (2014). Studies on organic eco- friendly regulatory effect of seaweed extracts on sunflower hybrid CO 2. M.Sc. (Ag.) Thesis, Tamil Nadu Agricultural University, Coimbatore.
- Sujatha, K. and Vijayalakshmi, V. (2013). Foliar application of Caulerpa racemosa seaweed extract as bio-stimulant for enhancement of growth and yield of blackgram (Vigna mungo L.). International Journal of Advancements in Research & Technology, 2: 216-230.
- Sylvia, S., Baluswami, M., Vijaya Partha Sarathy, M. D. and Krishnamurthy, V. (2005). Effect of liquid seaweed fertilizers extracted from Gracilaria edulis, Silva, Sargassum wightii and Ulva lactuca on the growth and yield of Abelmoschus esculentus. Indian Hydrobiology, 7: 69- 88.
- Tiwari, T. N., Dipti Kamal, Rajiv, K. Singh and Rajendra Prasad, S. (2014). Relative efficacy of seed priming with potassium nitrate and tap water in relation to germination, invigoration, growth, nitrate assimilation and yield of pigeon pea (Cajanus cajan L.). Ann. Agric. Res. New Series., 35: 164-170.
- Williams, R. E. (1946). The physiology of plant growth with special reference to the concept of NAR. Ann. Bot., 10: 41 – 71.
- Zhang, X. and Ervin, E. H. (2004). Cytokinin-containing seaweed and humic acid extracts associated with creeping bentgrass leaf cytokinins and drought resistance. Crop Sci., 44: 1737- 1745.
- Zodape, S. T., Mukhopadhyay, S., Eswaran, K., Reddy, M. P. and Chikara, J. (2010). Enhanced yield and nutritional quality in greengram (Phaseolus radiata) treated with seaweed (Kappapyucus alvarezii) extract. J. Sci. and Ind. Res., 70: 215-219.
All claims expressed in this article are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of their affiliated organizations, or those of the publisher, the editors and the reviewers. Any product that may be evaluated in this article or claim that may be made by its manufacturer is not guaranteed or endorsed by the publisher.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.