Chief EditorJ. S. Sandhu
Print ISSN 0250-5371
Online ISSN 0976-0571
NAAS Rating 6.67
Impact Factor 0.8 (2023)
Effect of nitrogen application to intercrops on yield, competition, nutrient use efficiency and economics in potato (Solanum Tuberosum L.) + French bean (Phaseolus Vulgaris L.) system in north-western hills of India
First Online 29-05-2017|
The present study was carried out at Central Potato Research Institute, Shimla for three years to work out the nitrogen requirement of french bean and competition in potato + french bean (1:1) intercropping system. Application of 100% N to French bean, gave 29% higher pod yield than sole cropping, on area basis, however, the mean yield of french bean pods with 100% N was statistically at par with that under 50% N and significantly higher over 0 or 25% N. Land Equivalent Ratio (LER) values were >1 at all N levels to French bean, the highest being 1.296 with 100% of N to french bean. The relative crowding coefficient (RCC) values of both the crops were more than one indicating that both the crops produced greater than ‘expected’ yields under intercropping, however, the aggressivity values indicated that french bean was a dominant species whereas potato was dominated species in intercropping, irrespective of N dose to french bean i.e. the extent of proportionate yield increase of french bean was more than potato in intercropping. The competition ratio also showed that french bean was more competitive than potato when fertilized properly. There was a positive mean balance of NPK and 36-68% of applied N, 64-74% of applied P and 44-77% of applied K was left as residual fertility under various intercropping treatments. Intercropping also gave higher net returns (Rs. 69 to 82 thousand/ha) and benefit:-cost ratio (2.43 to 2.66) than sole cropping of either of the crop. It can be concluded from the study that in potato + French bean (1:1) intercropping in north- western hills, N dose to french bean can be reduced by 50% without impairing soil health in terms of NPK balance.
- Ali, M. and Kumar, S. (2001). An overview of chickpea research in India. Ind. J. Pulses Res. 14: 81-89.
- De Wit, C.T. (1960). On competition. Verslag Landbouwkundige Onderzoek. 66: 1–28.
- Dua, V.K., Lal, S.S. and Govindakrishnan, P.M. (2005). Production potential and competition indices in potato (Solanum tuberosum) + French bean (Phaseolus vulgaris) intercropping system in Shimla hills. Indian J. agric. Sci. 75(6): 321-323.
- Ganajaxi, S.I.H., Hiremath, S.M. and Chittapur, B.M. 2010. Intercropping of maize and french bean- a review. Agri. Review. 31 (4): 286 – 291.
- Govindakrishnan, P.M., Rawat, Shashi., Pandey, S.K., Singh, J.P., Lal, S.S. and Dua, V.K. (2011). Computer aided advisory system for potato crop scheduling (CAASPS)- A decision support tool for potato planting strategies. International Journal of Agricultural and Statistical Sci. 7 (2): 571-577.
- Jatav, M. K., Chimote., V.P., Chandran., K..P., Dua, V. K., Kumar, Manoj. and Singh, B. P. (2011). Role of nutrient composition, organelle genome and breeding attributes on dry matter in Potato. International Journal of Agricultural and Statistical Sci. 7 (2): 445-455.
- Kumar, Manoj., Jatav, M K., Dua, V K., Rawat, Shashi. and Lal, S. S. (2011). Precise nutrient recommendations using targeted yield equation based on spatially mapped available nutrients. International Journal of Agricultural and Statistical Sc. 7 (2): 605-612.
- Manorama, K. and Lal, S.S. (2010). Potato based intercropping systems for southern hills. Indian. J Argon. 15(3): 215-219.
- McGilchrist, C.A. (1965). Analysis of competition experiments. Biometric. 21: 975–85.
- Mead, R. and Willey, R.W. (1980). The concept of land equivalent ratio and advantages in yields from intercropping. Exp. Agric. 16: 217-28.
- Sardana, Virender., Dhingrae, K.K., Gille, M.S. and Singh, I.J. (2000). Production technology of French bean (Phaseolus Vulgar SL.) cultivation: A review. Agrlc. Rev. 21 (3):141-154
- National Horticultural Research and Development Foundation Nasik. 2016. A Brief Report on Potato Production in the Country
- Walter, R., Eugen, A., Pusparaj, G. and Penjor, D. (1992). Potato intercropping systems with maize and faba bean. American J. Potato Res. 69(3): 62–69.
- Willey, R.W. (1979). Intercropping its importance and research needs. Part I. Competition and yield advantage. Field Crops Abs. 32: 1–10.
- Willey, R.W. and Rao, M.R. (1980). A competitive ratio for quantifying competition between intercrops. Exp. Agric. 16: 117–125.
All claims expressed in this article are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of their affiliated organizations, or those of the publisher, the editors and the reviewers. Any product that may be evaluated in this article or claim that may be made by its manufacturer is not guaranteed or endorsed by the publisher.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.