Chief EditorJ. S. Sandhu
Print ISSN 0250-5371
Online ISSN 0976-0571
NAAS Rating 6.67
Impact Factor 0.8 (2023)
Field evaluation of mungbean (Vigna radiata L.) germplasm for resistance against pod borer complex
First Online 29-05-2017|
Field evaluation of 44 mungbean Vigna radiata (L.) germplasm was carried out during kharif and rabi 2012 for screening against resistance to pod borer complex. The population of legume pod borer, Maruca vitrata (Geyer) larva was assessed at flowering stage. The damage in the pods were estimated in the harvested pods for different borer pests viz., M. vitrata, gram pod borer Helicoverpa armigera (Hub.), blue butterfly Lampides boeticus L., pod bug Riptortus sp. Based on cumulative pod damage, Pest Score Index (PSI) was worked out for all the germplasm. The results revealed that population of legume pod borer larva were more during kharif (0.33- 3.75/plant) than rabi (0.13-1.50/plant) season. The damage based scoring, PSI indicated that none of the mungbean germplasm was recorded as resistant. However, five entries were moderately resistant with PSI 3 during kharif. In rabi season two entries were recorded as moderately resistant. Four germplasm viz., KM 2-B, NPM 3-1, VGG 90, VGG 04-016 grouped as moderately resistant in both seasons with consistency in their level of resistance against pod borer complex.
- Ali, M. (1998). Research, Development and Management for production of pulses. In: IPM system in Agriculture. Vol.4- Pulses. Upadhyay, R.K., K.G. Mukerji and R.L.Rajak (Eds.), Aditya Books Private Limited, New Delhi. pp 1-40.
- Anonymous (2005). All India Co-ordinated Research Project (AICRP) – MULLaRP, Progress Report, Annual Group Meet 2004, Indian Institute of Pulses Research, Kanpur, India, 238p.
- Jackai, L.E.N. (1982). A field screening technique for resistance of cowpea (Vigna unguiculata) to the pod borer Maruca testulalis (Geyer) (Lepidoptera: Pyralidae). Bull.Entomol.Res.,72 (1): 145-156.
- Jayadeep, H. and Srinivasan, S. (2007). Biochemical basis of resistance against Maruca vitrata (Geyer) in urdbean. Ann.Pl.Prot.Sci., 15 (2): 287-290.
- Oghaikhe, S. (1995). Effect of pubescence in cowpea resistance to the legume pod borer, Maruca testulalis (Lepdioptera: Pyralidae). Crop Prot., 14 (5): 379-387.
- Oghiakhe, S. Jackai, L. E.N. and Makanjuola, W.A (1993). Cowpea plant architecture in relation to infestation and damage by legume pod borer, Maruca testulalis (Geyer) (Lepidoptera; Pyralidae). 3. Effect of plant growth habit. Insect Sci. Applic., 14 (2): 199-203.
- Panse, V.G. and Sukhatme. P.V. (1989). Statistical Methods for Agricultural Workers. Indian Council for Agricultural Research, New Delhi, 359p.
- Reddy, A. (2009). Pulses Production technology: Status and way farward. Econ. and Politic. Weekly, 34 (52): 73-80.
- Soundararajan, R.P. and Chitra, N. (2011). Effect of bioinoculants on sucking pests and pod borer complex in urdbean. J.Biopesticides, 4 (1); 7-11.
- Soundararajan, R.P., Chitra, N. and Geetha, S. (2013). Host plant resistance to insect pests of grain legumes – A review. Agric.Reviews, 34 (3); 176-187.
- Swaminathan, R., Kan Singh and Nepalia, V. (2012). Insect pests of green gram Vigna radiata (L.) Wilczek and their management. In: Agricultural Science. Godwin Aflakpui (Ed.), InTech Publications, Croatia, pp.197-222
- Umbarkar, P.S., Parsana, G.J. and Jethva, D.M. (2011a). Estimation of yield losses by pod borer complex in greengram. Legume Res., 34(4): 308-310.
- Umbarkar, P.S., Parsana, G.J. and Jethva, D.M. (2011b). Screening of greengram genotypes for resistance against gram pod borer, Helicoverpa armigera (Hubner). Legume Res., 34(1): 71-72.
All claims expressed in this article are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of their affiliated organizations, or those of the publisher, the editors and the reviewers. Any product that may be evaluated in this article or claim that may be made by its manufacturer is not guaranteed or endorsed by the publisher.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.