Chief EditorJ. S. Sandhu
Print ISSN 0250-5371
Online ISSN 0976-0571
NAAS Rating 6.67
Impact Factor 0.8 (2023)
Identification of superior parents and hybrids for improving pigeonpea [Cajanus cajan (L.) Millsp.] yield
First Online 03-03-2016|
A study involving three cytoplasmic-genetic male sterile lines and 14 diverse pollinators were crossed in a line × tester design during Kharif 2011. The resultant 42 hybrids and their parents were evaluated in a lattice design. Analysis of variance revealed that the ratio of variance due to GCA to SCA was less than unity for all the traits except secondary branches indicating that these traits may be under the influence of non additive gene action and these characters are more likely to be improved through heterosis breeding. The gca effects of parents revealed that ICPA-2043, ICPA-2047, GRG-2009-4 and ICPL-20 were good general combiners for seed yield and it’s direct components. The top three crosses exhibiting high specific combing ability effects along with their Per se performance, standard heterosis and gca status of the parents indicated that the cross combination ICPA-2047 x GRG-2009-4 was good specific combiner for seed yield per plant, number of secondary branches and number of pods per plant.
- Bajpai, G C., Jogendra Singh, Tewari, S. K., (2003), Pigeonpea hybrids - A review. Agric. Reviews, 24: 1-15.
- Baskaran, K and Muthiah, A R., (2007). Combining ability studies in pigeonpea. Legume Research 30: 67-69.
- Beekham AP and Umaharan. (2010). Inheritance and combining ability studies of pod physical and biochemical quality traits in vegetable pigeonpea. Euphytica 176:36-47.
- Bharate, B.S, Wadikar. P.B. and Ghodke, M.K. 2011. Studies on combining ability for yield and its components in pigeonpea. Journal of Food Legumes 24: 148-149.
- Chethana CK, Dharmaraj PS, Lokesha R, Girisha G, Muniswamy S, Yamanura, Niranjana kumar and Vinayaka DH. (2013). Genetic analysis for quantitative traits in pigeonpea (Cajanus Cajan L. Millsp.). Journal of Food Legumes 25: 1-18.
- Kempthorne O. (1957). An Introduction to Genetic Statistics. John Wiley and Sons Inc., New York; Chapman and Hall, London. Pp.545.
- Khorgade, PW, Wankhade RR. and Wanjari KB. (2000). Combining ability analysis in pigeonpea using male sterile lines. Indian Journal Agricultural Research 34: 112-116.
- Meshram, MP., Patil, AN. and Abhilasha, K. (2013). Combining Ability Analysis in Medium Duration CGMS Based Hybrid Pigeonpea (Cajanus cajan (L.) Millsp.,). Journal of Food Legumes 26: 29-33.
- Pandey, N. and Singh, NB., (2002), Hybrid vigour and combining ability in long duration pigeonpea [Cajanus cajan (L.) Millsp.] hybrids involving male sterile lines. Indian J. Genet. and Pl. Breed., 62: 221-225.
- Panse, VG. and Sukhatme, PV. (1961). Statistical Methods for Agricultural Workers, ICAR Publication, New Delhi. P. 359.
- Sameer Kumar, CV. Sreelaxmi, CH. and Kishore Verma, P. (2009). Studies on Combining ability and heterosis in pigeonpea [Cajanus cajan (L.) Millsp.]. Legume Research 32: 92-97.
- Saxena, KB. and Sharma, D. (1990), Pigeonpea Breeding. The pigeonpea (Eds. Nene, Y.I., Hall, S.D. and Sheila,V. K.,), pp. 375-399.
- Saxena, KB. (2008), Genetic Improvement of Pigeonpea- A review. Trop. Plant. Biol.,1: pp. 159-178.
- Sekhar MR. Singh SP. Mehra RB. and Govil JN. (2004). Combining ability and heterosis in early maturing pigeonpea [Cajanus cajan (L.) Millsp.] hybrids. Indian Journal of Genetics and Plant Breeding 64: 212 – 216
- Shobha D and Balan A. (2010). Combining Ability in CMS/GMS Based Pigeonpea (Cajanus cajan (L.) Millsp.,) Hybrids. Madras Agricultural Journal., 97: 25-28.
- Sony Tiwari. 2010. Estimation of heterosis, combining ability and genetic components for yield and yield attributes in Pigeonpea (Cajanus cajan L.) MSc (Agri) Thesis submitted to UAS, Raichur
- SunilKumar, Lohithaswa HC. Dharmaraj PS. (2003). Combining ability analysis for grain yield, protein content and other quantitative traits in pigeonpea. J. Maharashtra Agric. Univ. 28: 141-144.
- Upadhyaya HD, Reddy KN, Sharma S, Varshney RK, Bhattacharjee R, Singh S, Gowda CLL (2011) Pigeonpea composite collection and identification of germplasm for use in crop improvement programmes. Plant Genetic Resources 9:97–108.
- Vaghela KO. Desai RT. Nizama JR. Patel JD. and Sharma, V. (2009). Combining ability analysis in pigeonpea. Legume Research 32: 274-277.
- Yamanura, Lokesha R., Dharmaraj, P.S. , Muniswamy, S. and Diwan, J.R. (2014). Estimation of Heterosis, Combining ability and Gene action in Pigeonpea [Cajanus cajan (L.) Millsp.]. Elect. J. of Plant. Breed.5: 173-178.
All claims expressed in this article are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of their affiliated organizations, or those of the publisher, the editors and the reviewers. Any product that may be evaluated in this article or claim that may be made by its manufacturer is not guaranteed or endorsed by the publisher.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.