Chief EditorJ. S. Sandhu
Print ISSN 0250-5371
Online ISSN 0976-0571
NAAS Rating 6.67
Impact Factor 0.8 (2023)
Studies on heterosis and inbreeding depression for yield and its attributes in greengram [Vigna radiata (L.) Wilczek]
First Online 12-04-2016|
Five crosses were evaluated to study the extent of heterosis and inbreeding depression for yield and its attributing traits in greengram. Heterosis over mid parent, better parent and standard variety was significant for pods/plant and seed yield/plant. The crosses exhibiting high heterosis also expressed high inbreeding depression for pods/plant, pods/cluster and seed yield/plant. Heterosis coupled with inbreeding depression revealed the predominance of non-additive gene action for most of the characters studied. Owing to its autogamous genetic architecture and biological constrains of the crop the heterosis could be exploited only by isolating the desirable segregants for yield attributes adopting bi-parental or recurrent selection in early segregating generations followed by single plant selection in subsequent generations.
- Bhagora, N.B., Nizama, J.R. and Patel, S.R. (2013). Hybrid vigour study in mungbean [Vigna radiata (L.) Wilczek]. Asian Reson. 2(4): 51-55.
- Dubois, M., Gilles, K.A., Hamilton, J., Rebers, P.A. and Smith, F. (1956). Colorimetric method for determination of sugars and related substances. Analytical Chemist. 28: 350-356.
- Isleib, T.G. and Wynne, J.C. (1983). Heterosis in test cross of exotic peanut cultivars . Crop Sci. 23: 832-841.
- Reddisekhar, M., Raja Reddy, K. and Raja Reddy, C. (1994). Heterosis for yield and yield components in mungbean (Vigna radiata (L.) Wilczek). Indian J.Genetics and Plant Breeding. 54(1): 1-5.
- Sathya, M. and Jayamani, P. (2011). Heterosis and combining ability studies in greengram. J. Legumes. 24(4): 282-287.
- Singh, K.B. (1971). Heterosis breeding in pulse crops. 5th All India Pulse Conference Haryana Agric. Unive. Hissar, March 18-20, 1971.
- Singh, S.K. and Chauhan, B.P.S. (2011). Heterosis studies in mungbean. Progressive Agric. 11(1): 160-162.
- Srivastava, R.L. and Singh, G. (2013). Heterosis for yield and its contributing characters in mungbean (Vigna radiata (L.) wilczek). Indian. Sci. Res. 4(1): 131-134.
- Sunilkumar, B. and Prakash, M. (2011). Heterosis for biometric and biochemical components in mungbean (Vigna radiata (L.) Wilczek.). Karnataka J. Agric. Sci. 24(4): 523-524.
All claims expressed in this article are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of their affiliated organizations, or those of the publisher, the editors and the reviewers. Any product that may be evaluated in this article or claim that may be made by its manufacturer is not guaranteed or endorsed by the publisher.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.