Chief EditorJ. S. Sandhu
Print ISSN 0250-5371
Online ISSN 0976-0571
NAAS Rating 6.67
Impact Factor 0.8 (2023)
Some improvement strategies for the sustainable chickpea development: Single or combined application of monosodium phosphate and sodium sulphate with or without gibberellic acid treatment by foliar or seed priming
First Online 25-04-2017|
An experiment was laid out with a target to enhance the performance of gram by the foliar spray of a minute amount of monosodium phosphate and/or sodium sulphate (P and S each at 2 kg/ha were sprayed in two equal splits, i.e. half at 60 and the remaining half at the 70 DAS alone or in combination with the gibberellic acid (GA3) treatment i.e., spray or soaking or P and S solution at 0.1%) with or without the seed priming of GA3 (10-6M GA3 for 8h) and/ or the GA3 foliar application (10-6M GA3 at 60-70 DAS). Monosodium phosphate and sodium sulphate each at 2 kg/ha were foliage applied in two equal splits, i.e. half at 60 and the remaining half at the 70 DAS alone or in combination with the GA3. Prior to sowing, total seeds were categorised into two groups; one group of seeds was primed in 0.0M GA3 and the other was primed in 10-6M GA3 aqueous solution, each for 8 hours. Total 16 treatments with 10 best combinations of monosodium phosphate and/or sodium sulphate with GA3 are possible viz., FPS, SGA + FP, SGA + FS, SGA + FPS, FGAP, FGAS, FGAPS, SGA + FGAP, SGA + FGAS and SGA + FGAPS. The combined application of monosodium phosphate and sodium sulphate with GA3 stimulated seed yield per plant, total protein and carbohydrate content at 130 DAS, along with other parameters at the 80 and 90 DAS.
- Agrawal, A.K., Badola, R.C. and Kumar, R. (1994) Impact of foliar spray of growth regulators on nutrient dynamics of Trifolium alexandrium L. Indian bot. Soc.73: 550-559.
- Antony, E. (1995) Nitrogen utilization studies in groundnut (Arachis hypogaea L.) genotypes. M.Sc. (Agri.) Thesis, University of Agricultural Sciences, Dharwad.
- Arnon, D.I. (1949) Copper enzymes in isolated chloroplasts. Polyphenol oxidase in Beta vulgaris. Plant Physiol. 24: 1-15.
- Chaurasia, S. and Chaurasia, A.K. (2008) Effect of fertility levels and growth regulators on growth and yield of chickpea (Cicer arietinum L.). Crop Res. 36: 71-75.
- Chnadrababu, R., Manian, K., Nagarajan, M. and Ramchandran, T.K (1995) Effect of mepiquat chloride on growth and yield of groundnut. Madras Agric. J. 82: 229-23.
- Dashora, L.D. and Jain, P.M. (1994) Effect of growth regulators and phosphorus levels on growth and yield of soybean. Madras Agric. J. 81: 235-237.
- FAO (2012).http://faostat.fao.org/default.aspx December, 2010 to March, 2011.
- Ganeshamurthy, A.N. and Saha, J.K. (1999) Status in the soils of agro-ecological regions of India. Fertilizer News. 44: 57-66.
- Garai, A.K. and Datta, J.K. (2003) Effect of phosphorus sources and cycocel spray on green-gram [Vigna radiata (L.) Wilczek]. Leg. Res. 26: 15-19.
- Gomez, K.A. and Gomez, A.A. (1984) Statistical Procedures for Agricultural Research. 2nd Ed. J. Wiley and Sons, New York.
- Jaworski, E.G. (1971) Nitrate reductase assay in intact plant tissues. Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun. 43: 1274-1279.
- Kale, M.R. (1993) Effect of sulphur on growth and yield of groundnut (Arachis hypogaea). Ind. J. Agro. 38: 504-505.
- Khan, T. (1993) Studies on the Effect of Soil and Foliar Application of Nutrients on the Performance of Mustard. Ph.D. thesis, Aligarh Muslim University, Aligarh, India.
- Khan, T. A., Mazid, M, and Mohammad, F. (2011a) Sulphur management: An agronomic and transgenic approach. J. Indus. Res. Tech. 1: 147-161.
- Khan, T.A., Mazid, M. and Quddusi, S. (2014) Role of organic and inorganic chemicals in plant-stress mitigation. Approaches to Plant Stress and their Management (Ed.).P.K.Gaur and P.Sharma. DOI-10.1007/978-81-322-1620-9-3. Springer, India, 2014. Pp. 39-52.
- Khan, F. Mazid, M. Khan, T.A., Quddasi, S. Roychowdhury, and Naqvi, N. (2013) Application of Sesquiterpene (GA3) to spermology: A contradictory report. Res. J. Biol. 1: 45-51.
- Khan, T.A., Mazid, M. Azam, A. Ansari, S.A. and Naeem, A. (2012) Zinc oxide Nanoparticles promotes the aggregation of Conconavalin. A: Int. J. Peptide Res. Therapeu. 2: 23-29.
- Khan, T. A., Mazid M, and Mohammad, F. (2011b) Climate change, sustainable agriculture and future needs: A perspective of parallel re-thinking. J. Indian Res. Technol. 1: 40-50.
- Khan, T. A., Mazid, M, and Mohammad, F. (2011c) Status of secondary plant products under abiotic stress: an overview. J. Stress Physiol. Biochemis. 7: 75-98.
- Khan, T. A., and Mazid, M. (2011) Nutritional significance of sulphur in pulse cropping system. Biol. Med. 3: 114-133.
- Kumar, R.S., Pathmanaban, G., Kalarani, M.K., Vanangamudi, M. and Srinivasan, P.S. (2002) Effect of foliar application of growth regulators on biochemical attributes and grain yield in pearl millet. Indian J. Plant Physiol. 7: 79-82.
- Kumaravelu, G. David, L.V. and Ramanujam, M. P. (2000) Triacontanol- induced changes in growth, photosynthesis pigments, cell metabolites, flowering and yield of green gram. Biol. Plant. 43: 287-290.
- Kumawat, P.D. and Khangarot, S.S. (2002) Response of sulphur, phosphorus and rhizobium inoculation on growth and yield of cluster-bean [Cyamopsis tetragonalaba (L.) Taub]. Leg. Res. 25: 276-278.
- Lowry, O.H., Rosebrough, N.J., Farr, A.L. and Randall, R. J. (1951) Protein measurement with the Folin phenol reagent. J. Biol. Chem.193: 265-275.
- Mahla, C.P.S., Dadheech, R.C. and Kulhari, R.K. (1999) Effect of plant growth regulators on growth and yield of black- gram [Vigna mungo (L.) Hepper] at varying levels of phosphorus. Ann. Biol. Ludhiana. 15: 205-207.
- Mandal, S., Chakraborty, T. and Datta, J.K. (1997) Influence of growth retardant and rock phosphate on growth and development of green-gram (Vigna radiata L. Wilczek). Indian J. Plant Physiol. 2: 32-35.
- Mazid, M. (2014a) Response of Cicer arietinum L. to plant growth regulators and mineral nutrients. Ph.D. thesis, Aligarh Muslim University, Aligarh, India.
- Mazid, M. Mohammad, F. (2012) Environmental constraints responsible for reduction in productivity of chickpea: Revisit old problem. Int. J. Envt. Eng. Manag. 3: 32-35.
- Mazid, M. (2014b) Seed priming application of gibberellic acid on growth, biochemical, yield and protein status of Chickpea (Cicer arietinum L. cv. DCP 92-3). Int. J. Genetic Eng. Biotechnol. 5: 17-22.
- Mazid, M. (2014c) Application of spray and seed priming GA3 with P and S ameliorate seed protein content by augmenting photosynthetic attributes, enzymes activities and leghemoglobin content of chickpea. Int. J. Basic and App. Biol. 1:14-19.
- Mazid, M. and Roychowdhury, R. (2014) Leaf N-P-K content as indicators of yield, total protein and sugar content of seeds of Bengal gram (Cicer arietinum L.). Unique J. Pharmaceu. Biological Sci. 2:13-21.
- Mazid, M., Ali, B., Hayat, S. and Ahmad, A. (2010) The effect of 4-chloro-3-indole-acetic acid on some growth parameters in mung bean under cadmium stress. Turk. J. Biol: 34: 9-13.
- Mazid, M. and Naqvi, N. (2014a) Key approaches of plant growth regulator application in searching of best time for enhancing nitrogen fixation capacity of chickpea cultivar DCP 92-3. Unique J. Ayur. Herbal Med. 2:8-18.
- Mazid, M. and Naqvi, N. (2014b) Differential yield and quality response of four chickpea cultivars following the foliar spray of five selected plant growth regulators. Agric. Sci. Digest. 34 : 268-272.
- Mazid, M. Roychowdhury, R. and Khan, F. (2014b) Evaluation of chickpea cultivation approaches in terms of environmental resilience and future protein security. Curr. Agric. Res. 2: 164-174.
- Mazid, M. Hassanpourdagham, M. B. and El- Amery, E.M.S. (2014c) Note on the enzyme activities, productivity and quality parameters of chickpea cultivars under influence of diverse synthetic plant growth promoters. Post har. Sci. Tech. 2: 23-38.
- Mazid, M. Khan, T.A., Mohammad, F. and Nooris, N. (2013) Physico-biochemical effects of pre-sowing seed treatment with gibberellic acid on Helianthus annus L.- National conference of Plant Physiology” Current Trends in Plant Biology Research”: 895-896. Junagarh, Gujarat.
- Mazid, M., Khan, T.A., and Mohammad, F. (2012a) Role of nitrate reductase in nitrogen fixation under photosynthetic regulation. World J. Pharmaceu. Res. 1: 386-414.
- Mazid, M., Khan, T.A., Mohammad, F. (2012b). Medicinal Plants of rural India: A review of use by Indian folks. Indo Global. J. Pharmaceu. Sci. 2:286-304.
- Mazid, M., Khan, T. A, and Mohammad, F. (2011a) Role of secondary metabolites in defence mechanisms of plants. Biol. Med. 3: 232-249.
- Mazid, M., Khan, T. A., and Mohammad, F. (2011b) Effect of abiotic stress on synthesis of secondary plant products: a critical review. Agri. Rev. 32: 172-182.
- Mazid, M. and Khan, T.A. (2013) Molecules, Enzymes and Plant Productivity. APH Publishing Corporation, Pp. 285, Pvt. Ltd. Darya Ganj, New Delhi, INDIA.
- Meena, L.R., Singh, R.K. and Gautam, R.C. (2002). Effect of moisture conservation practices, phosphorus levels and bacterial inoculation on yield and economic returns of chickpea (Cicer arietinum L.) under dry land conditions. Ann. agric. Res. New Series 23: 284-288.
- Morris, K., Mackerness, S. A. H., Page, T., John, C. F., Murphy, A. M., Carr, J. P. and Buchanan-Wollaston, V. (2003). Salicylic acid has a role in regulating gene expression during leaf senescence. Plant J. 23: 677-685.
- Muthuchelian, K., Murugan, C., Harigovindan, R., Nedunchezhian, N. and Kulandaivelu, G. (1995) Effect of triacontanol in flooded Erythrina variegata seedlings. 1. Changes in growth, photosynthetic pigments and biomass productivity. Photosyn. 31: 269-275.
- Naqvi, N. Khan, T.A., Mazid, M. Khan, F. Quddusi, S. and Roychowdhury, R. (2014) Phytoremediatory potential of Guava and Ashok tree at three different sites of Bareilly district-A case study: ARPN J. Agric. Biol. Sci. 9:101-109.
- Ogilvy, S. (1985) Changing the shape of oilseeds rape. Annual Review of High Mowthrope Exp. Husb. Farm. 8: 24-27.
- Patra, A.K., Tripathy, S.K. and Samui, R.C. (1995) Effect of post flowering foliar application of nutrients on growth, yield and economics of rainfed groundnut (Arachis hypogaea). Ind. J. Plant Physiol. 38: 203-206.
- Premabatidevi, R.K. (1998). Effect of IAA, GA3 and kinetin on nitrate reductase and nitrite reductase in the leaves of a tree legume (Perkia javanica Merr). Indian J. Plant Physiol. 3: 97-101.
- Quddasi, S., Khan, F., Mazid, M. Khan, T.A., Shakeel, A. and Arshad, M. (2014) Quality status of nutrients, vitamins and hormones under pathological threats in tomato: Basic scenario. Med. Chem. Anal. 4:12-21.
- Radford, D.J. (1967) Growth analysis formulae: their use and abuse. Crop Science. 7: 171-175.
- Sadasivan, S. and Manickam, A. (2008) Biochemical Methods. 3ed Ed., New Age International, New Delhi.
- Shukla, K.C., Singh, O.P. and Samaiya, R.K. (1997) Effect of foliar sprays of plant growth regulator and nutrient complex on productivity of soybean var. JS 79-81. Crop Res. 13: 213-215
- Singh, H., Chandra, S. and Jolly, R.S. (1987) Effect of growth regulator in relation to time of sowing and yield of soybean cultivars. Annal. Biol. 3: 36-43.
- Taiz, L. and Zeiger. E. (2010) Plant Physiology. 5th Ed. Sinauer Associates, Inc., Sunderland, MA, USA.
- Turner, G.L. and Gibson, A. H. (1980) Methods for evaluating biological nitrogen fixation. In: Bergersen. New York: John Willey & Sons. Pp. 111-138.
- Wasnik, K.G. and Bagga, A.K. (1996) Effect of mepiquat chloride on growth and yield of chickpea (Cicer arietinum L.). Indian J. Plant Physiol. 1: 239-242.
- Naidu, M.V.S. and Rao, H. (1996) Effect of sulphur and rhizobium inoculation on dry matter, grain yield and protein content in green-gram. Leg. Res. 19: 10-14.
- Singh, J., Kavel, J.N. and Brar, Z.S. (1993) Compartmentation of canopy dry matter and seed yield of summer mung-bean in relation to irrigation and cycocel regimes. Ind. J. Pulses Res. 6: 207-209.
- Singh, S.K., Roomsingh, Singh, H.P. and Singh, R. (1994) Effect of sulphur on growth and yield of summer moong [Vigna radiata (L.) Wilczek]. Leg. Res. 17: 53-56.
- Shah, T. and Prathapasenan, G. (1991) Effect of cycocel on the growth and yield of mung-bean (Vigna radiata (L.) Wilczek var. Guj-2). J. Agron. 166: 40-47.
All claims expressed in this article are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of their affiliated organizations, or those of the publisher, the editors and the reviewers. Any product that may be evaluated in this article or claim that may be made by its manufacturer is not guaranteed or endorsed by the publisher.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.