Effect of irrigation, straw mulching and weed control on growth, water use efficiency and productivity of summer mungbean
Citation :- Effect of irrigation, straw mulching and weed control on growth, water use efficiency and productivity of summer mungbean .Legume Research.2016.(39):284-288
The field experiment was conducted during summer season of 2008 on loamy sand soil. The experiment was comprised of eighteen treatment combinations with three irrigation treatments (two, three and four irrigations), two weed control methods (pendimethalin 0.75 kg/ha as pre- emergence and unweeded) and three mulching treatments (no mulching, mulching at sowing and straw mulching at 25 days after sowing). Three irrigations recorded significantly higher grain yield (1430 kg/ha) than two irrigations (1138 kg/ha) but statistically at par with four irrigations (1465 kg/ha). Water use efficiency was also higher in three irrigations. Pendimethalin @ 0.75 kg/ha was found to be effective in controlling weeds and increasing the grain yield as well as water use efficiency. Mulching applied at 25 days after sowing recorded the higher grain yield (1430 kg/ha) than no mulch (1289 kg/ha) and mulching at sowing (1364 kg/ha).
- Bunnaa, S., Sinatha, P., Makaraa, O., Mitchellb, J. and Fukaib, S. (2011). Effects of straw mulch on mungbean yield in rice fields with strongly compacted soils Field Crops Res. 124:295–301.
- Chaudhary, T.N., Chopra, U.K. and Sinha, A.K. (1985). Root growth, leaf water potential and yield of irrigated summer mung bean (Phaseolus aureus Roxb.) in relation to soil water status and soil temperature under various mulches. Field Crops Res. 11: 325–333.
- Khan, R.U., Rashid, A. and Khan, M.S. (2011). Impact of various rates of pendimethalin herbicide on weed control, seed yield and economic returns in moongbeam under rainfed conditions. J. Agric. Res. 49: 491.
- Ram, H., Singh, Y., Saini, K.S., Kler, D.S. and Timsina, J. (2013). Tillage and planting methods effects on yield, water use efficiency and profitability of soybean–wheat system on a loamy sand soil. Exp. Agric. 49: 524-542.
- Sekhon, H.S., Singh, G. and Sharma, A.K. (1994). Influence of some agronomic practices on the productivity of summer mungbean. Haryana J. Agron. 10: 36-42.
- Sheoran, P., Kumar, A., Singh, M. and Kumar, M. (2001). Influence of irrigation schedule and genotypes on soil moisture extraction, consumptive use and water use efficiency of summer greengram. Annals Agri. Bio. Res. 6: 69-72.
- Siddique, A., Bandyopadhyay, P. and Zaman, A. (2004). Effect of irrigation, dates of sowing and mulching on yield attributes, yield and benefit-cost ratio of summer greengram. Indian Agriculturist 48: 145-148.