Revealing genetic diversity in land races and wild accessions of mungbean [Vigna radiata (L.) Wilczek] using SDS-PAGE of seed storage proteins
Citation :- Revealing genetic diversity in land races and wild accessions of mungbean [Vigna radiata (L.) Wilczek] using SDS-PAGE of seed storage proteins .Legume Research.2016.(39):155-162
Total seed storage protein profiles of 74 mungbean land races, three wild accessions and a popular variety ‘Jyoti’ of Odisha were analysed by Sodium dodecyl sulphate polyacrylamide gel electrophoresis (SDS-PAGE). 32 genotypes could be clearly identified based on genotype-specific seed protein fingerprints while rest of the test genotypes were categorized into eight protein types. Genotypes included in each protein type had 100% homology and some of these could be duplicates. In this pursuit, a few specific polypeptide markers have been detected for identification of the land races/ genotypes. Dendrogram based on electrophoretic data clustered the genotypes into seven groups at 70% phenon level. Paralakhemundi local, Samarjhola local and Phulbani local-D; and three wild accessions (TCR 20, TCR 213 and TCR 243) were comparatively divergent from other genotypes. Besides, Jyoti, Kalahandi local 2A, Sikri local, kodala local A and TCR 20 were identified to be protein rich with high seed yield. TCR 20 being morphologically similar to mungbean, moderately high protein content and high yielding as well as resistant to drought and bruchids; it may serve as a valuable source genotype in recombination breeding
Seed storage protein profile
Wild vigna radiata.
- Asghar, R., Tayyaba, S. and Afzal, M. (2003). Inter and intra-specific variation on SDS-PAGE electrophoregrams of seed protein in chickpea (Cicer arietinum L.) germploasm. Pak. J. Biol. Sci. 6: 1991-1995.
- Aykroyd, W.R., Doughty, J. and Walker, A. (1982). Legumes in human nutrition, FAO, Rome, Italy, P.10-13.
- Blum, H., Beier, H. *and Gross, H.J. (1987). Improved silver staining of plant proteins, RNA and DNA in polyacrylamide gels. Electrophoresis, 8(2): 93-99.
- Dutta, S. and Mallick, S. K. (2012). Studies on genetic diversity of mungbean cultivars using polypeptide banding pattern polymorphism (PBPP) markers. International Journal of Life Sciences 1 (3): 56-58.
- Ghafoor, A., Ahmed, Z., Qureshi, A.S. and Bashir, M. (2002). Genetic relationship in Vigna mungo (L.) Hepper and V. radiata (L.) Wilczek based on morphological traits and SDS-PAGE. Euphytica 123 (3): 367-378.
- Ghallab, K.H., Ekram, A.M., Afiah, S.A. and Ahmed, S.M. (2007). Characterization of some superior mungbean genotypes on the agronomic and biochemical genetic levels. Egyptian J. Desert Res. 57 : 1-11.
- Jaccard, P. (1908). Nouvelles recherches Sur la distribution florale. Bulletin Society Vaud Science National 44 : 223-270.
- Koenig, R.L., Singh, S.P. and Gepts, P. (1990). Novel phaseolin types in wild and cultivated common bean (Phaseolus vulgaris, Fabaceae). Economic Botany 44: 50-60.
- Ladizinsky, G. and Adler, A. (1975). The origin of chickpea as indicated by seed protein electrophoresis. Israel J. Bot. 24 : 183-189.
- Laemmli, U.K. (1970). Cleavage of structural protein during the assembly of the read of bacteriophage. Nature, 227: 680-685.
- Mohapatra P. (2011). Characterization of mungbean (Vigna radiata L. Wilczek) genotypes for drought tolerance through SDS-PAGE. M.Sc. (Ag.) Thesis, Dept. of Plant Breed. & Genetics, CA, OUAT, Bhubaneswar, p. 2-4.
- Naik, B.S. (1998). Genetic characterization of cultivars and seed protein in mungbean. Ph.D. Thesis, Utkal Univ., Vani Vihar, Bhubaneswar, India p: 5-85.
- Naik, B.S., Pattanayak, S.K. and Kole, C. (2000). Selection of protein rich genotypes in mungbean. Indian J. Genet. 60 : 321-326
- Panda A. (2013). Study of genetic diversity of mungbean(Vigna radiata L. Wilczek) landraces based on SDS-PAGE of total seed storage protein. M.Tech.(Biotech.) Thesis, Dept. of Biotech., SIET, Visveswaraya Technological Univ., Tunkur, Karnataka, p. 28-30.
- Polignanao, G.B., Splendido, R. and Perrino, P. (1990). Seed storage proteins diversity in faba bean (Vicia faba L.) entries from Ethiopia and Afghanisthan. J. Genet. Breed. 44 : 31-38.
- Sardar, S.S. (2011). Morphological and molecular characterization, and germplasm evaluation in mungbean (Vigna radiata L. Wilczek). Ph. D. Thesis, Utkal University, Vani Vihar, Bhubaneswar, India, p.73-102.
- Sokal, R.R. and Michener,C.D. (1958). A statistic method for evaluating systematic relationships. University Kansas Scientific Bulletin 28 :1409–1438.
- Sonnate, G., Piergiovanni, A.R. and Perrino, N.Q.N.P. (1996). Relationships of V. vexillata (L.) A. Rich and species of section Vigna based on isozyme variation. Genetic Resou Crop Evolution 43: 157-165.
- Thakare, R.G., Gadgil, J.D. and Mitra, R. (1988). Origin and evolution of seed protein genes in Vigna mungo and Vigna radiata. In : S Shanmuga Sundaram, BT McLean (eds.) Proc. 2nd Int. Symp. Mungbean AVRDC Taiwan, p. 47-52.
- Tomooka, N., Lairungreang, C., Nakeeraks, P. and Egawa, Y.T.C. (1992). Centre of genetic diversity and dissemination pathway in mungbean deduced from seed protein electrophoresis. Theor. Appl. Genet. 83 : 289-293.
- Tripathy, S.K., Sardar, S.S., Lenka, D. and Sahoo, S. (2010a). Genetic diversity of mungbean (Vigna radiata (L.) Wilczek) genotypes based on SDS-PAGE of albumin seed storage protein. Legume Res. 33 : 54-57.
- Tripathy, S.K., Sardar, S.S., Mishra, D.R. and Sahoo, S. (2010b). Genetic diversity of mungbean (Vigna radiata (L.) Wilczek) genotypes based on SDS-PAGE of globulin seed storage protein. Environment & Ecology 28 : 1798-1800.
- Tripathy, S.K., Sardar, S.S. and Mishra, P.K. (2010c). Analysis of seed storage protein pattern: A method for studying genetic variation and diversity among Vigna genotypes. Indian J. Genet 70: 140-144.
- Xu, R.Q., Tomooka, N., Vaughan, A.D. and Doi, K. (2000). The Vigna angularis complex: Genetic variation and relationships revealed by RAPD analysis and their implications for in-situ conservation and domestication. Genetic Resources and Crop Evolution 47: 123-134.
- Yan, J., Li, A. and Zhao, B. (1991). The correlation between seed gloss and qualitative characters of mungbean seed. Acta Agri. Bot. Sin. 6: 96-98.