Genetic association studies for yield and yield related traits in pigeonpea [Cajanus cajan (L.) Millsp.]
Citation :- Genetic association studies for yield and yield related traits in pigeonpea [Cajanus cajan (L.) Millsp.] .Legume Research.2016.(39):189-193
Twenty three pigeonpea genotypes were evaluated in a randomized block design during Kharif 2012-13. The objective of this research was to assess inter-relationships, direct and indirect effects among yield and its components for genetic improvement of pigeonpea. The analysis of variance revealed highly significant differences for all characters under study among the genotypes. Considering the correlation analysis biological yield/plant, pods/plant, 100-seed weight, harvest-index and secondary branches/plant had highly significant positive correlation with seed yield. Path analysis identified biological yield/plant followed by harvest-index, pods/plant, days to maturity, primary branches/plant 100-seed weight and seeds/pod as most important direct yield components while biological yield/plant and harvest-index as most important indirect components. Hence, these traits should be given much emphasis at the time of devising selection strategy to achieve a quantum jump in pigeonpea yield.
Yield and yield components.
- Baskaran, K. and Muthiah, A.R. (2006). Variability studies in pigeonpea [Cajanus cajan (L.) Millsp.]. Res. on Crops 7: 249-252.
- Baskaran, K. and Muthiah, A.R. (2007). Associations between yield and yield attributes in pigeonpea [ Cajanus cajan (L.) Millsp]. Legume Res. 30: 64-66.
- Basavarajaiah, D., Gowda, M.B., Lohithaswa, H.C. and Kulkarni, R.S. (2000). Assessment of pigeonpea germplasm and isolation of elite genotypes for Karnataka. Crop Res. 20:444-448
- Bhadru, D. (2008). Genetic variability, heritability and genetic advance in pigeonpea [Cajanus cajan (L.) Millsp].]. Res. on Crops 9: 661-662.
- Bhadru, D. (2011). Genetic studies in pigeonpea [Cajanus cajan (L.) Mill sp]. Electron. J. Plant Breed. 1: 132-134.
- Devi, S.R., Prasanthi, L., Reddy, K.H.P. and Reddy, B.V.B.(2012). Studies on interrelationships of yield and its attributes and path analysis in pigeonpea [Cajanus cajan (L.) Millsp.]. Legume Res. 35: 207-213.
- Dewey, D.R. and Lu, K.H. (1959). A correlation and path coefficient analysis of components of crested wheat grass seed production. Agron. J. 57: 515-518.
- Das S. Y., Chakraborty S., Chakraborty S. (1988). Genetic variation for seed yield and its components in green gram (Vigna radiate (L.) Wilczek). Adv. Plant Sci. 11:271-273.
- Kanade, P.B., Harer, P.N. and Kshirsagar, A.N. (2010). Correlation and path analysis studies in pigeonpea [Cajanus cajan (L.) Millsp]. J. Maharashtra Agric. Univ. 35:494-496.
- Mittal, V.P., Paramjit Singh and Brar, K.S. (2010). Character association and path coefficient analysis for yield components in pigeonpea. Madras Agric. J. 97: 319-320.
- Panse, V.G. and Shukhatme, P.V. (1967). Statistical Methods for Agricultural Workers. 2nd Edn. ICAR, New Delhi, pp. 152-157.
- Searle, S.R. (1961). Phenotypic, genotypic and environmental correlation. Biometrics 17: 474-480.
- Srinivas, T., Jain, K.C., Reddy, M.V. and Reddy, M.S.S. (1999). Genetic relationships among yield components in pigeonpea. Indian J. Pulses Res.12:180-186.
- Sodavadia, P.R., Pithia, M.S., Savaliya, J.J., Oansuriya, A.G. and Korat, V.P. (2009). Studies on character association and path analysis for seed yield and its components in pigeonpea [Cajanus cajan (L.) Millsp]. Legume Res. 32: 131-134.
- Venkateswarlu, O. (2001). Genetic variability in pigeonpea [Cajanus cajan (L.) Millsp]. Legume Res.24: 205-206.
- Yerimani, A.S., Mehetre, S. and Kharde, M.N. (2013). Genetic variability for yield and yield component traits in advanced F3 and F4 generations of pigeonpea [Cajanus cajan (L.)]., Mol. Plant Breed. 4: 136-140.