Identification of SSR marker associated with rust resistance in cowpea (Vigna unguiculata L.) using bulk segregant analysis
Citation :- Identification of SSR marker associated with rust resistance in cowpea (Vigna unguiculata L.) using bulk segregant analysis .Legume Research.2016.(39):39-42
Bulked segregant analysis was undertaken to tag gene(s) controlling rust resistance using molecular markers in cowpea, to permit rapid selection of superior desirable rust resistant genotypes in the breeding program. For this purpose, the C-152, cultivated variety with high yielding, semi determinate plant type, good protein content and highly rust susceptible was crossed with genotype IC202778, the landrace from Himachal Pradesh, India having determinate, semi spreading and rust resistant characters. The parental genotypes were analyzed with 92 SSR markers for detection of polymorphism and only 13 markers showed polymorphism between the parents. Using each of these 13 SSR primers, we carried out bulked segregate analysis on F2 plants representing two extremes of rust disease resistance and susceptible trait. Three SSR markers VuUGM02, VuUGM08 and VuUGM19 were found to be associated with rust resistance. This was further confirm through selective genotyping. The co-segregation data on these molecular markers and rust resistance on F2 plants were analysed by means of single-marker linear regression approach. Significant regression suggested linkage between VuUGM02 and rust resistance gene.
Bulk Segregating analysis
- Asish I. Edakkalathur. (2009). Identification of parental polymorphism using SSR markers and evaluation of segregating population for rust resistance in Cowpea [Vigna unguiculata (L.) Walp]. M.Sc (Ag.) Thesis, Univ. Agric.Sci., Bangalore, India
- Chandrashekar, M., Anil kumar, T. B. and Sailulla, M. (1989). Effect of different dates of sowing of cowpea on the severity of leaf rust caused by Uromyces phaseoli var vignae. Tropical Agric.,65: 149.
- Hittalmani, S., Foolad, M.R., Mew, T., Rodriguey, R.J and Huang, N. (1995). Development of a PCR based marker to idemtify rice blast resistsnce gene, Pi-2(t) in a segregating population. Theor. Appl. Genet., 91: 9-14.
- Huang, N, Angeles, E.R., Domingo, J., Magpantay, G., Singh, S., Zhang, G., Kumaravadivel, N., Bennett, J and Khush, G.S. (1997). Pyramiding of bacterial blight resistance genes in rice: marker-assisted selection using RFLP and PCR. Theor Appl Genet. 95: 313-320
- Ichikawa, N., Kishimoto, N., Inagaki, A., Nakamura, A., Koshino, Y., Yokozeki, Y., Oka, M., Samoto, S., Akagi, H., Higo, K., Shunjyo, C., Fujimura, T and Shimada, H. (1997). A rapid PCR-aided selection of rice line containing the Rf-1 gene, which is involved in restoration of the cytoplasmic male sterility. Mol Breed. 3: 195-202
- Lang, N.T., Subudhi, P.K., Virmani, S.S., Brar, D.S., Khush, G.S., Li, Z and Huang, N. (1999). Development of PCR based marker for thermosensitive genetic male sterility gene tms 3 (t) in rice ( Oryza sativa L.). Hereditas. 131:121-127.
- Mayee C. D. and Datar V. V. (1986). Phytopathology, Marathewada Agricultural University, Parbhani (M.S.), India.
- Michelmore, R.W., Paran, I and Kesseli, R.V. (1991). Identification of markers linked to disease resistance genes by bulked segregant analysis: a rapid method to detect markers in specific genomic regions by using segregating populations. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 88: 9828-9832.
- Rangaiah. S. (1997). Inheritance of resistance to Uromyces phaseolus in Vigna unguiculata (L.) Walp. Crop imrovement, 24: 251-252.
- Sambrook J and Russel D.W. (2001). Rapid isolation of yeast DNA. In: Molecular Cloning: A Laboratory Manual (Sambrook J and Russel DW, eds.). Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory, New York, 631-632.
- Tinker NA. (1996). New strategies for QTL mapping. Barley workshop (no. 15) at the Plant Genome IV Conf.
- Uma, M. S. and Salimath, P. M.(2003).Inheritance of rust resistance in cowpea[Vigna unguiculata(L.)Walp].The Indian Journal of Genetics and Plant Breeding. 63: 167-168.
- Uma, M.S. and Salimath.P.M.(2004).Evaluation of segregating populations of cowpea for slow rusting.J.arid legumes, 1: 181-182.
- Uma.M.S., Asish, I. Edakkalathur,Shailaja Hittalamani, Viswanatha. K.P., Somashekhar. Y.M. and Nagaraja. T.E. (2011).SSR Marker Aided Parental Polymorphic Survey for Rust Resistance in Cowpea [Vigna unguiculata (L.) Walp] Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding, 2:326-333.