Chief EditorJ. S. Sandhu
Print ISSN 0250-5371
Online ISSN 0976-0571
NAAS Rating 6.67
Impact Factor 0.8 (2023)
STANDARDIZATION OF SOWING DATE AND CULTIVARS FOR SEED PRODUCTION OF GARDEN PEA (PISUM SATIVUM VAR. HORTENSE L.) UNDER NORTH WESTERN HIMALAYAS
First Online |
P-1’, ‘Palam Priya’, ‘Arkel’ and ‘Pb-89’ in sub-plots. Different dates of sowing and varieties significantly influenced phenology and seed yield along with yield contributing traits. The early sowing on 31st October significantly increased the seed yield by 13% and 41% over 10th November and 21st November, respectively. Among the varieties, ‘Palam Priya’ out performed ‘Azad P-1’ and ‘Arkel’ for seed yield with an increase of 38 and 113 % while ‘Pb-89’ had an edge of 34 and 107% over these varieties. Interaction effects revealed that sowing beyond 31st October did not result in decline in seed yield in some cultivars. The highest seed yield was recorded in ‘Palam Priya’ on 31st October and 10th November and that of ‘Pb-89’on 31st October sowing dates over ‘Azad P-1’ and ‘Arkel’. Hence, sowing on end October in ‘Pb-89’ and that of ‘Palam Priya’ from end October to first quarter of November were the most ideal combinations to obtain higher seed yield in garden pea under sub-humid temperate environment.
- Amanullah, J.I., Hayat, T.F., Khan, A.I. and Khan, N. (2002). Effect of sowing dates on yield and yield components of mash bean varieties. Asian J. Pl. Sci., 1: 622-624.
- Bozoglu, H., Peksen, E., Peksen, A. and Gulumser, A. (2007). Determination of the yield performance and harvesting periods of fifteen pea (Pisum sativum l.) cultivars sown in autumn and spring, Pak. J. Bot., 39(6): 2017-2025.
- Dapaah, H.K., Mckenzie, B.A. and Hill, G.D. (2000). Influence of sowing date and irrigation on the growth and yield of pinto beans (Phaseolus vulgaris) in a subhumid temperate environment. J. Agric. Sci., 134: 33-43.
- Dass, A., Patnaik, U. S. and Sudhishri, S. (2005). Response of vegetable pea (Pisum sativum) to sowing date and phosphorus under on-farm conditions. Indian J. Agron., 50(1): 64-66.
- Gomez, K.A. and Gomez, A.A. (1983). Statistical Procedures for Agricultural Research, 2nd edn. Wiley, New York.
- Green, C.F., Paulson, G.A. and Ivins, J. D. (1985). Time of sowing and the development of winter wheat. J. Agric. Sci., 105: 217-221.
- ISTA (1987): Handbook of Vigour Test Methods. Second edition. International Seed Testing Association, Zurich, Switzerland. 72 p.
- Knott, C. M. and Belcher, S. J. (1998). Optimum sowing dates and plant populations for winter peas (Pisum sativum). J. Agric. Sci., 131: 449-454.
- Moniruzzaman, M., Rahman, S.M.L., Kibria, M.G., Rahman, M.A. and Kaisar, M.O. (2007). Performances of vegetable french bean as influenced by varieties and sowing dates in rabi season. Int. J. Sustain. Crop Prod., 2(5):69-73.
- Munier-Jolain, N. and Carrouee. B. (2003). Considering pea in sustainable agriculture: agricultural and environmental arguments. Cahiers Agricultures, 12: 111-120.
- Salter, P.J. (1963). The effect of wet or dry soil conditions at different growth stages on the components of yield of a pea crop. J. Hort. Sci., 38: 321-324.
- Siddique, A.B., Wright, D. and Ali, S. M. (2002). Effects of sowing dates on the phenology, seed yield and yield components of peas. J. Biol. Sci., 2(5): 300-303.
- Silim, S. N., Hebblethwaite, P. D. and Heath, M. C. (1985). Comparison of the effects of autumn and spring sowing date on growth and yield of combining peas (Pisum sativum L.). Article author querysilim sn [PubMed] J. Agric. Sci. 104: 35-46.
- Vange, T. and Obi, I.U. (2006). Effect of planting date on some agronomic traits and grain yield of upland rice varieties at Makurdi, Benue State, Nigeria. J. Sustain. Dev. Agric. & Env. 2: 1-9 (ISSN 0794-8867)
- Yadav, A. K., Chauhan, S. K., Singh, S. K., and Goyal, V. (2010). Effect of sowing dates and nitrogen levels on growth and yield of vegetable pea (Pisum sativum L.) and its residual effect on wheat (Triticum aestivum) and maize (Zea mays) in vegetable pea-wheat-maize cropping sequence. Indian J. Agric. Sci., 80: 1085-1088.
All claims expressed in this article are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of their affiliated organizations, or those of the publisher, the editors and the reviewers. Any product that may be evaluated in this article or claim that may be made by its manufacturer is not guaranteed or endorsed by the publisher.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.