Chief EditorJ. S. Sandhu
Print ISSN 0250-5371
Online ISSN 0976-0571
NAAS Rating 6.67
Impact Factor 0.8 (2023)
Effect of nitrogen and phosphorus levels on nodulation and yield components in faba bean (Vicia faba L.)
First Online 25-10-2016|
The objective of this research was to investigate different levels and the combined effect of nitrogen and phosphorus on the nodulation and yield components of faba bean (Vicia faba L.). A large seeded 584-066 accession numbered faba bean line, which was taken from a breeding program of the Field Crops Department, was used in the experiment. Four different nitrogen (0, 30, 60, 90 kg/ha) and three phosphorus (0, 40, 80 kg/ha) levels were applied to the soil at the sowing time. The number of pods/plant, biological and grain yield per unit area, together with grain and plant N content, were increased by 60 kg/ha nitrogen combined with 40 kg/ha phosphorus applications. The highest nodule and nodule weight/plant and 100-kernel weight were obtained from 80 kg/ha phosphorus and 30 kg/ha nitrogen combination.
- Achakzai, A. K. K. (2007). Effect of various levels of nitrogen fertilizer on nodulation of pea cultivars Pakistan Journal Bot., 39: 1673-1680
- Adak, M. S., Ulukan, H. and Güler, M. (1999). Determination of some agronomic traits in Turkish faba bean (Vicia faba) lines Fabis 42:29-31, ICARDA.
- Anonymous (1988). Faba Bean Germplasm Catalog. Pure Line Collection. 140 p., ICARDA.
- Anonymous (2015). http://faostat.fao.org/site/567/DesktopDefault.aspx?PageID=567# (communication: December, 2015)
- Bergareche, C., Vidal, D. and Simon E. (1988). Effect of nitrogen nutrition on the production and quality of two cultivars of Vicia faba L. var. major in a Mediterranean Area (Spain). Fabis, 20:30-32, ICARDA.
- Boddey, R.M., de Moraes Sa, J.C., Alves, B.J.R. and Urquiaga, S. (1997). The contribution of biological nitrogen fixation for sustainable agricultural systems in the tropics. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 29: 787–799.
- Elsheiky, E.A.E. and Elzidany, A.A. (1997). Effects of Rhizobium inoculation, organic and chemical fertilizers on yield and physical properties of faba bean seeds. Plant Foods for Human Nutrition 51: 137-144
- Graham, P.H. and Vance, C.P. (2000) Nitrogen fixation in perspective: an overview of research and extension needs. Field Crops Research 65: 93–106.
- Hamdi, Y. A. (1982). Symbiotic nitrogen fixation in faba beans. Faba Bean Improvement. 6: 127-138. (Edited by: G. Hawtin and C. Webb).
- Huber R, Keller E R. and Schwendimann F. (1987). Effects of biological nitrogen fixation by faba beans (Vicia faba L.) on the nitrogen economy of the soil. Fabis, 17:14-27, ICARDA.
- Jain, R. C., Tiwari, R. J. and Nema, D. P. (1988). Integrated nutrient management for lentil under rain-fed conditions in Madhya Pradesh. II. Nodulation, Nutrient Content and Economics. Lens Newsletter, 22: 3-15, ICARDA
- Jensen, E. S., Peoples, M. B. and Nilsen, H. H. (2010). Faba bean in cropping systems. Field Crops Research 115: 203-216
- Labuda, H. (2002). Flowering and pod setting of faba bean (Vicia faba L.) depending on nitrogen fertilization. Annales Universitatis Marie Cruie Sklodowska. 10:235-240.
- Leilah, A .A. (1988). Effects of plant density, Rhizobium inoculation and nitrogen rates on faba bean (Vicia faba L.). Journal of Agric. Sci. Mansoura Univ. 13(4):538-544, (obtained from Faba bean Agris Volume, 1990).
- Oladiran, O., Olajire, F., Robert, R. C. and Nnenna, I. (2012). Phosphorus response efficiency in Cowpea Genotypes. Journal of Agricultural Science 4: 81-90
- Quinn, M. A. (2009).Biological Nitrogen Fixation and Soil Health Improvement. The Lentil Botany, Production and Uses (Edited by: W. Erskine, F. J. Muehlbauer, A. Sarker and B.Sharma), p: 229-247
- Roughley, R.J. , Sprent, J.I. and Day, J. M. (1983). Nitrogen fixtation. The Faba Bean (Vicia faba L.), (Edited by: Hebblethwaite, P.D.) p: 233-260, Butterworths, London, UK.
- Salih, A F. (1987). Effect of nitrogen application and plant population per hill on faba bean (Vicia faba L.) yield. Fabis, 17:27-30, ICARDA
- Tairo E. V. and Ndakidemi, P. A. (2013). Possible benefits of rhizobial inoculatýon and phosphorus supplementation on nutrition, growth and economic sustainability in grain legumes. American Journal of Research Communication 1: 532-55
- Wojcieska, U. and Kocon, A. (1997). Reaction of faba bean plants to soil and foliar N application and K nutrition. Acta Physiologiae Plantarum 19 : 23-28
All claims expressed in this article are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of their affiliated organizations, or those of the publisher, the editors and the reviewers. Any product that may be evaluated in this article or claim that may be made by its manufacturer is not guaranteed or endorsed by the publisher.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.