VARIABILITY AND CORRELATION STUDIES ON GROUNDNUT (ARACHIS HYPOGAEAE L.) GERMPLASM
Citation :- VARIABILITY AND CORRELATION STUDIES ON GROUNDNUT (ARACHIS HYPOGAEAE L.) GERMPLASM.Legume Research-An International Journal.2011.(34):26 - 30
Four hundred sixty genotypes of groundnut germplasm were evaluated in four different seasons for phenotypic variation, heritability, genetic advance and correlations among pod yield and yield components. Pod yield/ha was observed to be high during pre-rabi and rabi seasons, might be due to increase in yield contributing characters. The GCV estimates were low for shelling percentage and moderate for hundred pod weight and hundred kernel weight. High heritability coupled with high genetic advance as per cent of mean has been noticed for hundred pod weight and hundred kernel weight. Consistently positive association in all the seasons was observed for unfilled pods per plant with number of branches per plant and hundred pod weights with hundred kernel weight. Rabi and kharif performance of yield and yield contributing characters were positively correlated except unfilled pods per plant and plant height. Selection for high yield in groundnut could be made by inclusion of pod weight, shelling percentage and hundred kernel weight as selection criteria along with plant height.
- Korat, V.P. et al. (2009).Legume Res, 32:224-226.
- Mahalakshmi, P. et al. (2005). Legume Res.28:197.
- Mothila A.,et al.(2004) National Symposium on “Enhancing Productivity of Groundnut for Sustaining Food and Nutritional Security” held at NRCG Junagadh during October 11-12, 2004.
- Panse V.G. and Sukhatme P. V.(1989). Stastical Methods for Agricultural Workers.ICAR. New Delhi.
- Singh R.K. and Chaudhary B.D.(1985). Biometrical Methods in Quantative Genetic Analysis. Kalyani Publishers. New Delhi.
- Thaware, B.L. et al.(2000). Indian J. Agric. Res. 34:47-50.