CALLOSOBRUCHUS CHINENSIS L. (BRUCHIDS) CAUSE DAMAGE TO NUMBER OF IMPORTANT PULSE GRAINS DURING STORAGE
Citation :- CALLOSOBRUCHUS CHINENSIS L. (BRUCHIDS) CAUSE DAMAGE TO NUMBER OF IMPORTANT PULSE GRAINS DURING STORAGE.Legume Research.2005.(28):74 - 76
Infestation due to attack of Callosobruchus chinensis L. in five different pulse seeds chickpea, arhar, green gram, peas and kidney bean were studied under laboratory condition. The emergence of adult insect was maximum (257) in Kabuli type chickpea but not a single adult emerged from kidney bean. Average weight loss was highest (22.88%) in green gram while kidney bean showed no weight loss as there was no infestation. A non significant correlation was found between average number of adults emerged and per cent average weight loss. This study also helps to optimize the conditions for insect bioassay to confirm the tolerance of transgenic chickpea lines against Callosobrochus spp.
- Giga, D.P. and Smith, R.H. (1987). J. Stores Prod. Res.. 23: 9-18.
- Girish, G.K. etal. (1974). Bu//. Grain Tech., 12: 113-116.
- Jotwani, M.G. etal. (1967). IndianJ. £nt., 29: 309-311.
- Khokhar, K.S. and Singh, D. (1987). Bul/. Grain Tech., 25: 244-251.
- Krishnamurthy, B. and Rao, D.S. (1950). £nt. Series Bu//. No. 14. pp.I-93.
- Mannan, MA and Bhuiyah, I.M. (1994). Ann. £nt. Soc. Am., 90: 848·855
- Raina, A.K. (1970). J. £nt., 32(4): 303-310.
- Schroeder, H.E. et al. (1995). PI. Physio/" 107: 1233-1239.
- Teotia. T.PS. and Singh, V.S. (1960) Bu//. Grain Tech., 4(1): 3-10.