REACTION OF FRENCH BEAN ACCESSIONS AND VARIETIES TO BEAN COMMON MOSAIC POTYVIRUS AND SEED TRANSMISSION OF THE VIRUS
Citation :- REACTION OF FRENCH BEAN ACCESSIONS AND VARIETIES TO BEAN COMMON MOSAIC POTYVIRUS AND SEED TRANSMISSION OF THE VIRUS.Legume Research.2006.(29):126 - 129
Fifteen accessions and varieties of french bean (Phaseolus vulgaris L.) obtained from various sources were tested for their reaction to Bean common mosaic potyvirus (BCMV) by mechanical inoculations on the 10-day-old seedlings in the screenhouse. Three accessions among the fifteen viz., Arka Komal, IIHR 909 and MFB-2 were diagnosed as susceptible based on symptoms and were confirmed by ELISA. The remaining twelve, were ELISA-negative. Seeds collected from the infected plants of each accession/variety were analyzed for the seed transmission of BCMV by growing-on test, recording 39% transmission in Arka Komal. The infected seedlings manifested typical mosaic and leaf roll symptoms. Studies highlight the existence of resistant genotypes for breeding programmes.
- Al-Fadhil, F.H. and Al- Ani, R.A. (1987). J. Agric. Water Resou. Res.-Plant Production, 6: 99-114.
- Capoor, S.P. et al. (1985). Indian Phytopath., 38: 152-154.
- Gupta, Y. and Chowfla, S.C. (1990). Indian Phytopath., 84: 434-436.
- Hobbs, H.A. et al. (1987). Plant Dis., 71: 747-749.
- Klein, R.E. et al. (1988). Plant Dis., 72: 301-302.
- Khetarpal, R.K et al. (1994). Indian J. Virol., 10: 13-16.
- Muniyappa, V. (1970). Madras Agric. J., 63: 69-70.
- Omunyin, M. et al. (1988). Trop. Agric. (Trinidad), 65: 166-168.
- Parthasarathy, V.A. (1993). In: Vegetable Crops: (T.K Bose et al., eds.). Naya Prakash Publishers, Calcutta, India, pp. 581-602.