MUTAGENIC EFFECTIVENESS AND EFFICACY OF EMS AND NG IN MUNGBEAN
Citation :- MUTAGENIC EFFECTIVENESS AND EFFICACY OF EMS AND NG IN MUNGBEAN.Legume Research.2008.(31):199 - 201
The usefulness of any mutagenic agent depends on its ability to induce high frequency of
desirable changes as compared to undesirable ones. Hence, often it is necessary to assess the
effectiveness and efficacy of mutagens for efficient and effective use. Though some studies have
been carried out in greengram, studies involving EMS and NG are scanty. The present investigation
was undertaken in greengram using both EMS and NG and results indicated higher effectiveness of
NG treatments in comparison to EMS treatments. The reverse trend was observed in case of
efficacy. Both effectiveness and efficacy of both chemicals decreased with increase in mutagenic
dose. The possible reason for this could be less damaging effect of lower doses of chemicals on the genetic material.
- Das, T.R. (2002). M.Sc. (Ag.) Thesis, OUAT, Bhubaneswar, India.
- Dellaert, L.M.W. (1980). Ph.D. Thesis. Wageningen Agril. University, Wageningen, The Netherlands pp.169.
- Dellaert, L.M.W. (1983). IAEA Tech. Doc. 289. IAEA Vienna, pp.333.
- Khan, I.A. and Hashim M. (1979). Indian J. Bot. 2:107-110.
- Konzak, C.F. et al. (1965). Rad . Bot. 5: 49-70.
- Konzak, C.F. et al. (1984). In: Plant Breeding Reviews, (J. Janick ed.), 2:3-72.
- Micke, A., et al. (1990). Mutation Breeding Review 7, 41pp.
- Mishra, T.K. (2004). Ph.D. Thesis OUAT, Bhubaneswar, India.
- Mishra, R.C. and Monin, B.D. (2004). P.G. Thesis, OUAT, Bhubaneswar, India.
- Singh, A.K. and Singh, R.M. (2001). Crop Improv. 28(2): 260-266.
- Thomas, H. and Grierson, D. (eds.) (1987). Developmental Mutants in Higher Plants. Press Syndicate. University of Cambridge, pp.288.