FLOWERING PATTERN AND REPRODUCTIVE EFFICIENCY IN LENTIL
Citation :- FLOWERING PATTERN AND REPRODUCTIVE EFFICIENCY IN LENTIL.Legume Research.2013.(36):153-157
An experiment was conducted to investigate flower production, flowering pattern, reproductive efficiency and their relationship with seed yield in fifteen lentil mutants/cultivars. The experiment was laid out in a randomized complete block design with three replicates. Results of the study revealed that the high yielding genotypes produced higher number of flowers, having longer flowering duration than the low yielding ones. It was also appeared that the high yielding genotypes had higher rate of flower production than the low yielding ones. However, low yielding genotypes had higher reproductive efficiency than high yielding ones with few exceptions. Seed yield had significant positive correlation with pod and flower number whereas negative relation was noted with reproductive efficiency. This aspect may be considered for future plant breeding programme of lentil yield improvement.
- Erskine, W., Muehlbauer, F. J. and Short, R. W. (1990). Stages of development in lentil. Exp. Agric., 26: 297-302.
- Fakir, M. S. A., Mondal, M. M. A., Ismail, M. R. and Ashrafuzzaman, M. (2011). Flowering pattern and reproductive efficiency in mungbean. Int. J. Agric. Biol., 13: 966-970.
- Kumar, S., Srivastava, S. B. L. and Malik, I. P. S. (2008). Genetic variation and inter relationship of yield and its component traits in lentil. Legume Res., 31: 8-13.
- Miah, M. S., Hossain, M. A. and Fakir, M. S. A. (2006). Flower production and yield in five Phaseolus vulgaris genotypes. Legume Res., 29: 89-95.
- Mondal, M. M. A., Howlader, M. H. K., Akter, M. B. and Dutta, R. K. (2007). Evaluation of five advanced lentil mutants in relation to morpho-physiological characters and yield. Bangladesh J.Crop Sci., 18: 367-372.
- Mondal, M. M. A., Rahman, M. A. and Akter, M. B. (2009). Flower production and yield in mungbean. Bangladesh J. Crop Sci., 20: 181-185.
- Mondal, M. M. A., Hakim, M. A., Juraimi, A. S. and Azad, M. A. K. (2011a). Contribution of morpho-physiological attributes in determining yield of mungbean. African J. Biotech., 10: 12897-12904.
- Mondal, M. M. A., Fakir, M. S. A., Prodhan, A. K. M. A., Ismail, M. R. and Ashrafuzzaman, M. (2011b) Effect of nodal position on rachis morphology and yield attributes in raceme of mungbean. Australian J. Crop Sci., 5: 1685- 1691.
- Nahar, B. S. and Ikeda, T. (2002). Effect of silver-sheet and figaron on flower production, abscission of reproductive organ, yield and yield components in soybean. J. Agron. Crop Sci., 188:193-200
- Russell, D. F. (1986). MSTAT-C computer package programme. Crop and Soil Science Department, Michigan State University, USA.
- Saitoh, K., Nishiura, K. and Kuroda, T. (2004). Characteristics of flowering and pod set in wild and cultivated types of soybean. Plant Prod. Sci., 7: 172-177.
- Samad, M. A., Hasan, M. K. and Mondal, M. M. A. (2010). Flowering behavior and its relationship with yield in lentil. Bangladesh J. Agriculturist, 3: 7-10.
- Setia, N., Setia, R. C., Kaur, D. and Malik, C. P. (1989). Effect of some phenolic compounds on yield components in lentil. Lens Newsl., 16: 36-39.
- Sinha, S. K. (1977). Food legumes: Distribution, adaptability and biology of yield. FAO plant production and protection paper III. Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO), Rome. pp. 174-181.
- Tambal, H. A. A., Erskine, W., Baalbaki, R. and Zaiter, H. (2000). Relationship of flower and pod numbers per inflorescence with seed yield in lentil. Expl. Agric., 36: 369-378.
- Togun, A. O. and Tayo, T. O. (1990). Flowering and pod and seed development in pigeon pea. J. Agric. Sci. (Camb), 115: 327-335.
- Yoshida, K., Nomura, F. and Gotoh, K. (1993). Significance of intra-plant flowering date in soybean seed production. II. Number of flowers, podding efficiency, nodal distribution of pods and yield components among different flowering dates. Japn J. Crop Sci., 52: 567-573.