Reproductive toxicity of quinalphos on female albino rats: Effects on ovary and uterus
Citation :- Reproductive toxicity of quinalphos on female albino rats:Effects on ovary and uterus .Indian Journal Of Animal Research.2016.(50):537-543
Quinalphos is a toxic organophosphate pesticide having a wide applicability to control pests in a number of vegetable crops like ladyfinger, brinjal, cauliflower etc. due to its good penetrative properties and long residual action in animals. The present investigation was carried out to determine its toxic effects on reproduction in the female albino rats. Technical quinalphos (2 mg/kg body weight) was administered orally to female albino rats for 15 and 30 days respectively. The weight of ovary decreased significantly in 30 day treated group. In the same group the corpus luteum also decreased significantly. The histologic observations of the ovary revealed the presence of less number of healthy follicles and more number of atretic follicles. There was a non significant decrease in the surface follicles and corpus luteum of treated rats. Gross morphology of uterus had shown significant increase in epithelial cell height and changes in lumen length even. There was a decline in the number of uterine glands with decreased thickness of myometrium. Hence quinalphos at dose concentration of 2mg/kg body weight is toxic for female reproduction.
Female albino rats
- Abell, A.; Juul, S. and Bonde, J. P. (2000) Time to pregnancy among female greenhouse workers. Scandinavian Journal of Work, Environment & Health 26: 131-36.
- Adilaxmamma, K.; Janardhan, R. A. and Reddy, K. S. (1994) Monocrotophos induced dysfunction of estrous cycle and follicular development in mice. Industrial Health 26: 126-29.
- Akbarsha, M. A. and Sivasamy, P. (1998) Male reproductive toxicity of phosphamidon : histopathological changes in epididymis. Indian Journal of Experimental Biology 36: 34-38.
- Baligar, P. N. and Kaliwal, B. B. (2001) Induction of gonadal toxicity to female rats after chronic exposure to mancozeb. Industrial Health 39: 235-43.
- Baligar, P. N. and Kaliwal, B. B. (2002) Reproductive toxicity of carbofuran to the female mice: Effects on estrous cycle and follicles. Industrial health 40: 345-52.
- Bindali B B and Kaliwal B B (2002) Anti-implantation effect of a carbamate fungicide mancozeb in albino mice. Industrial Health 40: 191-97.
- Brucker, D. F. (1998) Effects of environmental synthetic chemicals on thyroid function. Thyroid 8: 827-56.
- Chapin, R. E.; Harris, M. W.; Davis, B. J.; Ward, S. M.; Wilson, R. E.; Mauney, M. A.; Lockhart, A. C.; Smialowicz, R. J.; Moser, V. C.; Burka, L. T. and Collins, B. J. (1997) The effects of prenatal/ juvenile methoxychlorexposure on adult rat nervous, immune and reproductive system function. Fundamental and Applied Toxicology 40: 138-57.
- Ejaz, S.; Akram, W.; Lim, C. W.; Lee, J. J. and Hussain, I. (2004) Endocrine disrupting pesticides : A leading cause of cancer among rural people in Pakistan. Experimental Oncology 26: 98-105.
- Farr, S. L.; Cooper, G. S.; Cai, J.; Savitz, D. A. and Sandler, D. P. (2004) Pesticide use and menstrual cycle characteristics among premenopausal women in the agricultural health study. American Journal of Epidemiology 160: 1194-1204.
- Fisher, R. A. (1950) Statistical Methods for Research Workers, eleventh Edn. Oliver and Boyd Ltd, Edinburgh.
- Goldman, J. M.; Parrish, M. B.; Cooper, R. L. and McElory, W. K. (1997) Blocked of ovulation in the rat by systemic and ovarian intrabursal administration of the fungicide N-methyldithiocarbamate. Reproductive Toxicology 15: 185–90.
- Jadaramkunti, U. C. and Kaliwal, B. B. (1999) Effect of dificol formulation on estrous cycle and follicular dynamics in albino rats.Journal of Basic & Clinical Physiology & Pharmacology 10: 305-19.
- Kang, H. G.; Jeong, S. H.; Cho, J. H.; Kim, D. G.; Park, J. M. and Cho, M. H. (2004) Chlorpyrifos-methyl shows anti- androgenic activity without estrogenic activity in rats. Toxicology 199: 219-30.
- Kaur, K. (2008) Effect of cypermethrin on reproduction in female albino rats.Ph.D. Thesis, Punjab Agricultural University, Ludhiana, India.
- Kaur, S. (2003) Evaluation of some organophosphorous pesticides for their effect on female reproduction and development in albino rats.Ph.D. Thesis, Punjab Agricultural University, Ludhiana, India.
- Krieger, R. I. (ed) (2001) Handbook of Pesticide Toxiciology.2nd edn. Vol I, Academic Press, Florida, pp 375-423.
- Mahadevaswami, M. P.; Jadaramkunti, U. C.; Hiremath, M. B. and Kaliwal, B. B. (2000) Effect of mancozeb in ovarian ` compensatory hypertrophy and biochemical constituents in hemicastrated albino rats. Reproductive Toxicology 14: 127-34.
- Radhika, M. P. and Kaliwal, B. B. (2002) Monocrotophos induced dysfunction of estrous cycle and follicular dynamics in mice. Indian Journal of Pharmacology 26: 126-29.
- Raifa, F. and Garieb, E. (2001) Estrogenic effect of orthopedic DDT on the female genital organs of mice. Egyptian Journal of Hospital Medicine 2: 108-20.
- Sarkar, R.; Mohanakumar, K. P. and Chowdhury, M. (2000) Effect of an organophosphate pesticide, quinalphos, on the hypothalamo-pituitary gonadal axis in adult male rats. Journal of Reproduction and fertility 18(1):
- Suvardhan, K.; Kumar, K. S. and Chiranjeevi, P. (2005) Extractive spectrofluorometric determination of quinalphos using fluorescein in environmental samples. Environ Monitoring and Assessment 108: 217-27.
- Swarup, D. and Balagangatharathilagar, M. (2002) Endocrinology of reproductive disorders in farm animals. Indian Veterinary Research Institute, Izatnagar, Pp.53-59.