IN VITRO PLANT REGENERATION OF TRICHOSANTHES DIOICA ROXB. CV. HILLI FROM NODAL EXPLANTS
Citation :- IN VITRO PLANT REGENERATION OF TRICHOSANTHES DIOICA ROXB. CV. HILLI FROM NODAL EXPLANTS.Indian Journal Of Agricultural Research.2011.(45):140 - 145
An efficient protocol was established for in vitro plant regeneration from nodal explants of Trichosanthes dioica Roxb. cv. hilli. Nodal segments were cultured on semisolid MS basal medium supplemented with different concentrations and combinations of cytokinins (BAP and Kinetin) and auxin (NAA) for direct shoot regeneration. Among the various concentrations of growth regulators used, MS supplemented with 2.0mg/l BAP + 0.3mg/l NAA showed highest percentage of shoot regeneration (92.74%) and maximum number of shoots per explants (4.00 ± 0.74) from lower nodal segment used as explants after four weeks of culture. The elongated shoots showed best rooting within seven to eight days after sub culturing in half strength MS supplemented with 1.0mg/l IBA. IBA proved to be better than IAA for efficient rooting. The in vitro raised plantlets were successfully established in earthen pots filled with soil, sand and farmyard mixture, and 75% of them survived in the field conditions.
Trichosanthes dioica Roxb. cv. hilli.
- Debergh, P. C. and Zimmerman, R.H. (1991) Micropropagation technology and application. Kluer Academic Publishers. Dordrecht. The Netherlands. Pp. 181-189.
- Devendra N K Rajanna L; Sheetal C and Seetharam N Y (2008) In vitro Clonal Propagation of Trichosanthes cucumerina L. var. cucumerina. Plant Tissue Cult. & Biotech. 18 (2) : 103-111.
- George E F (1993) Plant propagation by tissue culture. Part I. the technology. Exegetics Ltd. Edinghon, Wilts, U. K. pp. 42.
- Halder T and Gadgil V N (1982) Morphogenesis in some plant species of the family In ; Cucurbitaceae. (Rao, A.N. ed.) pp. 98-103.
- Hoque M E; Bhomik A and Khalequzzaman M (1998) In vitro culture of pointed gourd. Thai. J. Agri. Sci. 31 : 369.
- Islam R; Sarkar K P; and Naderuzzaman A T M and Joarder O I (1994) In vitro regeneration of plants from cotyledons of Momordica Charantia L. Plant Tissue Cult. 4 (2) : 105-109.
- Joshkutty P C; Prathapa S G and Shah S (1993) Direct and Indirect Organogenesis in Coccinia Indica. J. Hort. Sci. 68:31.
- Komal R; Gupta A K and Sinha U K (2010) In vitro Clonal Propagation of Trichosanthes dioica Roxb.cv. nimia from shoot tips. World Academy of Sci. Engineering Technol. 6 (69) : 1288-1297.
- Kumar S; Singh M; Singh A K; Srivastava K and Banerjee M K (2003) In vitro propagation of pointed gourd (Trichosanthes dioica Roxb.) Cucurbit Genetics Cooperative Report 26 :74-75.
- Malek A M; Miah B A M; Al-Amin M; Khanam D and Khatun M (2007) In vitro regeneration of pointed gourd. Bangladesh J. Agri.Res. 32 (3) : 461-471.
- Nath P and Subramanyam S (1972) Pointed gourd can be a paying crop. Indian Hort. 11 (1) : 20.
- Rout G R Samantary and Das P (2000) In vitro manipulation and propagation of medicinal plants. Biotechnol. Adv. 18: 91-120.
- Shasany A K; Khanuja S P S; Dhawan S; Yadav V; Sharma S and Kumar S (1998) High regenerative nature of Mentha arevensis internodes. J. Biosci. 23 : 641- 646.