Chief EditorT. Mohapatra
Print ISSN 0367-8245
Online ISSN 0976-058X
NAAS Rating 5.20
Effects of Plant Density and Row Spacing on Yield and Yield Components of Peanut (Arachis hypogaea L.) on the Coastal Sandy Land Area in Nghe An Province, Vietnam
First Online 02-04-2021|
Methods: Five planting densities were tested in Randomized Complete Block Design with three replications in 2019 spring crop on the coastal sandy land area in Dien Chau district, Nghe An, Vietnam.
Result: The different density treatments affect the growth, development and yield of the peanut variety L14. With increasing plant density, the number of pod per plant, 100 pods weight, 100 seeds weight decreased, whereas plant height, leaf area index, dry matter production increased. Population yield increased with increasing plant density from the lowest density of 25 plants m-2 (2.78 tons ha-1), reached the highest at 35 plants m-2 (4.53 tons ha-1), then decreasing with increasing plant density. Peanut variety L14 is grown in plant densities and row spacing of 35 plants m-2 (25 cm × 25 cm) and 40 plants m-2 (25 cm × 20 cm) are most appropriate; plants grow, develop better and give a higher yield than other densities under the same conditions.
- Abady, S., Shimelis, H., Janila, P. and Mashilo, J. (2019). Groundnut (Arachis hypogaea L.) improvement in sub-Saharan Africa: A review. Soil and Plant Science. 69(6): 528-545.
- Abdullah, T., Rahmianna, A.A., Hardaningsih, S. and Rozi, F. (2007). Increasing groundnut yield on dry land Alfisols in Indonesia. Journal of Semi-Arid Tropics Agricultural Research. 5(1): 84-96.
- Ahmad, A., Rahim, M. and Khan, U. (2007). Evaluation of different varieties, seed rates and row spacing of groundnut, planted under agroecological conditions of Malakand Division. Journal of Agronomy. 6(2): 385-387.
- Annadurai, K., Naveen, P., Sangu, A. and Masilamani, P. (2009). Agronomic management technologies for peanut production: A review. Agricultural Reviews. 30: 235-261.
- Dapaah, H.K., Mohammed, I. and Awuah, R.T. (2014). Growth yield performance of groundnuts (Arachis hypogaea L.) in response to plant density. International Journal of Plant and Soil Science. 3(9): 1069-1082.
- Gabisa, M., Tana, T. and Urage, E. (2017). Effect of planting density on yield components and yield of Groundnut (Arachis hypogaea L.) varieties at Abeya, Borena Zone Southern Ethiopia. International Journal of Scientific Engineering and Applied Science. 3(3): 23-34.
- Giayetto, O., Cerioni, G.A. and Asnal, W.E. (1998). Effect of sowing spacing on vegetative growth, dry matter production and peanut pod yield. Peanut Science. 25: 86-92.
- Gulluoglu, L., Bakal, H., Onat, B., Kurt, C. and Arioglu, H. (2016). The effect of harvesting dates on yield and some agronomic and quality characteristics of peanut grown in Mediterranean Region (Turkey). Turkish Journal of Field Crops. 21(2): 224-232.
- Hieu, N.M., Bon, L.T. and Minh, H.K. (2011). Potentials and challenges for developing peanut production on sandy soil in Quang Binh province. Vietnam Journal of Agriculture and Rural Development. 7: 3-7 (in Vietnamese).
- Jadon, K.S., Thirumalaisamy, P.P., Koradia, V.G. and Padavi, R.D. (2018). Management of peanut (Arachis hypogaea L.) diseases through nutrient supplements. Legume Research. 41(2): 316-321.
- Konlan, S., Sarkodie-addo, J., Asareand, E. and Kombiok, M.J. (2013). Groundnut (Arachis hypogaea L.) varietal response to spacing in the guinea savanna agro-ecological zone of Ghana: growth and yield. African Journal of Agriculture Research. 8(22): 2769-2777.
- Le, C.N., Thai, T.H., Tran, D.H., Nguyen, T.L., La, T.T.H. and Nguyen, X.V. (2019). Genetic diversity of groundnut rhizosphere antagonistic bacteria and biological control of groundnut wilted diseases in central Vietnam. Legume Research .(42): 405-410.
- Madkour, M.A., El-Mohandes, S.I. and El-Wakil, A.M. (1992). Effect of row spacing, phosphorus, potassium and boron application on some peanut cultivars. Egyptian Journal of Agronomy. 17: 127-140.
- Magagula, N., Mabuza, M.P. and Zubuko, N. (2019). Effects of plant density and planting pattern on growth and seed yield of groundnuts (Arachis hypogaea L.) in the Wet Middleveld of Eswatini. Asian Plant Research Journal. 3(2): 1-12.
- Mckenzie, B.A., Andrews, M., Ayalsew, A.Z. and Stokes, J.R. (1992). Leaf growth and canopy-development in chickpea. Proceeding of Agronomy Society, New Zealand. 22:121-125.
- Mvumi, C., Washaya, S. and Ruswa, C. (2018). The effects of planting methods on growth and yield of groundnut (Arachis hypogaea) cultivar natal common in Africa South of the Sahara. International Journal of Agronomy and Agricultural Research. 13(6): 1-9.
- Nandania, V.A., Modhawadia, M.M., Patel, J.C., Sadariaand, S.G. and Patel, B.S. (1993). Resonse of rainy-season bunch groundnut to row spacing and seed rate. Indian Journal of Agronomy. 37(3): 597-599.
- Olayinka, B.U. and Etejere, E.O. (2015). Growth analysis and yield of two varieties of groundnut (Arachis hypogaea L.) as influenced by different weed control methods. Indian Journal of Plant Physiology. 20(2): 130-136.
- Onat, B., Bakal, H., Gulluoglu, L. and Arioglu, H. (2016). The effects of row spacing and plant density on yield and yield components of peanut grown as a double crop in mediterranean environment in Turkey. Turkish Journal of Field Crops. 22(1): 71-80.
- Rasekh, H., Asghari, J., Safarzadeh wishkai, M.N., Massoumi, S.L. and Zakerinejad, R. (2010). Effect of planting pattern and plant density on physiological characteristics and yield of peanut (Arachis hypogaea L.) in Iran. Research Journal of Biological Sciences. 5(8): 542-547.
- Sreelatha, P., Sudhakar, P., Umamahesh, V., Subramanyam, D. and Vasanthi, R.P. (2019). Variability in growth and yield attributes among different growth habits of groundnut geno-types. International Journal of Current Microbiology and Applied Sciences. 8(6): 1066-1071.
- Sternitzke, D.A., Lamb, M.C., Davidson, J.I., Barron, J.R.T. and Bennet, C.T. (2000). Impact of plant spacing and population on yield for singlerow non irrigated peanuts (Arachis hypogaea L.). Peanut Science. 27(2): 52-56.
- Wells, R.J., Burton, J.W. and Kilen, T.C. (1993). Soybean growth and light interception: Response to differing leaf and stem morphology. Crop Science. 33: 520-524.
- Yilmas, H.A. (1999). Effect of different plant densities of two groundnut (Arachis hypogaea L.) genotypes on yield, yield components and oil and protein contents. Turkish Journal of Agriculture and Forestry. 23: 299-308.
- Zhao, C.X., Shao, C.L., Yang, Z.L., Wang, Y.F., Zhang, X.J., Wang,M.L. and McGiffen, M.E. (2017). Effects of planting density on pod development and yield of peanuts under the pattern of precision planted peanuts. Legume Research. 40(5): 901-905.
All claims expressed in this article are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of their affiliated organizations, or those of the publisher, the editors and the reviewers. Any product that may be evaluated in this article or claim that may be made by its manufacturer is not guaranteed or endorsed by the publisher.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.