Chief EditorT. Mohapatra
Print ISSN 0367-8245
Online ISSN 0976-058X
NAAS Rating 5.20
Optimizing Seed Rates and Effects of Direct and Indirect Selection Indices in Sugarcane Crop
First Online 29-12-2020|
Methods: A field experiment was carried using randomized complete block design with factorial arrangements having three replications at Sugarcane Research Institute, Faisalabad during 2016-17 and 2017-18.
Result: The results revealed that maximum cane diameter was recorded for S2008-AUS-133 at seed rate of 25000 and 50000 triple budded setts/ha. However; maximum number of canes/ha were recorded for S2008-AUS-133 at seed rate of 75000 setts/ha followed by HSF-240 at 75000 setts/ha. Maximum cane yield was noted for HSF-240 at seed rate of 75000 followed by S2008-AUS-133 at seed rate of 50000 and lowest can yield was recorded in S2003-US-127 at seed rate of 25000 triple budded setts/ha. Genotypic and phenotypic variances were higher for plant height (381.63, 133.91 cm) and cane yield (406.50, 330.65 kg/plot).Genotypic and phenotypic coefficient of variances were moderate for number of tillers (11.6%, 15.44%) and higher for cane yield (20.24%, 22.44%). It means that variability in 4 genotypes for cane yield was higher. Thus variety S2008-AUS-133 showed better performance at seed rate 75000 while during selection, number of tillers and height should be considered for further breeding program.
- Agrawal, R.K. and Kumar B. (2017). Variability, heritability and genetic advance for cane yield and its contributing traits in sugarcane clones under waterlogged condition. International Journal of Current Microbiology and Applied Sciences. 6(6): 1669-1679.
- Alam, M.N., Nath, U.K., Karim, K.M.R., Ahmed, M.M. and Mitul, R.Y. (2017). Genetic variability of exotic sugarcane genotypes. Scientifica. 27: 12-23.
- Béhou, M.Y. and Péné, C.B. (2019). Genetic variability and heritability among sugarcane genotypes in plant crop for some agronomic traits under tropical dry climate of Ferké, Ivory Coast. Journal of Experimental Agriculture International. 3: 1-14.
- Chand, M., Khippal, A., Singh, S., Lal, R. and Singh, R. (2011). Effect of planting material and seed rate in pit planted sugarcane (Saccharum spp. hybrid complex) in sub-tropical India. Indian Journal of Agronomy. 56(1): 78-82.
- Chaudhary, R.R. (2001). Genetic variability and heritability in sugarcane. Nepal Agriculture Research Journal. 21: 56-59.
- Dumont, T., Thong-Chane, A., Barau, L., Siegmund, B. and Hoarau, J.Y. (2019). Genetic variabilities and genetic gains for yield components in regional sugarcane breeding programmes on Réunion Island. Sugar Tech. 56: 1-11.
- Johnson, H.W., Robinson, H.F. and Comstock, R.E. (1955). Estimates of genetic and environmental variability in soybeans. Agronomy Journal. 47(7): 314-318.
- Khaliq A., Hafiz, B.A., Muhammad, A.N., Arshad, M., Naeem, A., Muhammad, Y. and Rashad, S. (2020). Valuation of weed control methods by using inter row rotary weeder in sugarcane crop. Indian Journal of Agricultural Research. DOI: 10.18805/IJARe.A-549.
- Luís A.B., Cortez R.B. and Jr. E.A., (2020). Energy from sugarcane. Sugarcane Biorefinery, Technology and Perspectives. Book chapter-7. 117-139. https://doi.org/10.1016/B978-0-12-814236-3.00007-X.
- Nair, N.V., Balakrishnan, R. and Sreenivasan, T.V. (1998). Variability for quantitative traits in exotic hybrid germplasm of sugarcane. Genetic Resources and Crop Evolution. 45(5): 459-463.
- Negi, A. and Koujalagi, D. (2018). Study of genetic variability, heritability and genetic advance for various yield and quality traits in sugarcane genotypes (Saccharum officinarum). Int. J. Curr. Microbiol. App. Sci. 7(4): 1464-1472.
- Panse, V.G. and Sukhatme, P.V. (1954). Statistical Methods for Agricultural Workers. 3(26): 347.
- Prabhakar K, G. Karuna Sagar, M. Sreenivasa Chari, C. Kiran Kumar Reddy and S. Chandra Sekhar, (2014). Effect of planting geometry and nitrogen application through fertigation on production and quality of sugarcane. Agricultural Science Digest. (34): 223-225.
- Sharar, M.S., Ayub, M., Choudhry, M.A., Amin, M.M.Z. and Khalid, M.M. (2000). Morpho-qualitative traits of sugarcane (Saccharum officinarum L.) varieties as influenced by seeding density. Pakistan Journal of Biological Sciences. 3(7): 1156-1157.
- Silva, M. de A., Silva, J.A.G. da, Enciso, J., Sharma, V. and Jifon, J. (2008). Yield components as indicators of drought tolerance of sugarcane. Scientia Agricola. 65(6): 620-627.
- Singh, K., Singh, K. and Kumar, S. (2016). Effects of seed rate, sett size and seed treatment on spring planted sugarcane. Journal of Sugarcane Research. 3(1): 12-27.
- Singh, R.K., Pratap, S.S. and Singh, S.B. (2005). Correlation and path analysis in sugarcane ratoon. Sugar Tech. 7(4): 176-178.
- Singh, R.K., Singh, D.N., Singh, S.K. and Singh, H.N. (1994). Genetic variability and correlation studies in foreign commercial hybrids of sugarcane. Agricultural Science Digest. 14(2): 103-107.
- Tena, E., Mekbib, F. and Ayana, A. (2016). Heritability and correlation among sugarcane (Saccharum spp) yield and some agronomic and sugar quality traits in Ethiopia. American Journal of Plant Sciences. 7(10): 1453-1477.
- Tyagi, S.D. and Singh and D.N. (1998). Studies on genetic variability for stalk characters in sugarcane. Indian Sugar. 48(4): 259-262.
All claims expressed in this article are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of their affiliated organizations, or those of the publisher, the editors and the reviewers. Any product that may be evaluated in this article or claim that may be made by its manufacturer is not guaranteed or endorsed by the publisher.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.