Chief EditorT. Mohapatra
Print ISSN 0367-8245
Online ISSN 0976-058X
NAAS Rating 5.20
Influence of nutrient management and moisture conservation practices on Growth and development of organic baby corn (Zea mays L.) in Assam
First Online 29-09-2020|
Methods: A field experiment was conducted at Assam Agricultural University, Jorhat during the year 2016-17. The experiment consisted of two different factors i.e. nutrient management viz., control, enriched compost 2.5 t ha-1, vermicompost 2 t ha-1 incubated with bio-fertilizers, poultry manure 2 t ha-1 incubated with bio-fertilizers, FYM 2.5 t ha-1 incubated with bio-fertilizers and FYM 2.5 t ha-1+lime+ash (1000:10:1) and moisture conservation i.e. no mulch and mulch with paddy straw @ 2 t ha-1). Plant height at harvest, number of leaves plant-1 at harvest and dry matter production (g plant-1), LAI, LAD at 30 day days interval was recorded. Reading on chlorophyll content was taken by SPAD- 502 chlorophyll meter at 45 DAS and 90 DAS. Cob yield was recorded from the net plot area and expressed in t ha-1.
Result: Application of enriched compost 2.5 t ha-1 in baby corn produced highest growth characters like plant height, number of leaves plant-1, dry matter production, leaf area index, leaf area duration, chlorophyll content, cob yield with husk (8.165 t ha-1) followed by FYM 2.5 t ha-1+lime+ash (6.495 t ha-1). Mulching with paddy straw 2 t ha-1 recorded the higher cob yield (6.172 t ha-1) over no mulch condition (5.431 t ha-1).
- Amujoyegbe, B.J., Opabode, J.T., Olayinka, A. (2007). Effect of organic and inorganic fertilizer on yield and chlorophyll content of maize (Zea mays L.) and sorghum Sorghum bicolour (L.) Moench. African Journal of biotechnology. 6(16): 1869-1873.
- Blackmer, TM. and Schepers, J.S. (1995). Use of a chlorophyll meter to monitor nitrogen status and schedule fertigation for corn. Journal of Production Agriculture. 8(1): 56-60.
- Boote, K.J., Jones, J.W., Pickering, N.B. (1996). Potential uses and limitations of crop models. Agronomy journal. 88(5): 704-716.
- Borah, N., Deka, N.C., Deka, J., Barua, I.C., Nath, D.J., Medhi, B.K. (2014). Enrichment of compost through microbial inoculation – effect on quality. International Journal of Current Research. 6: 8026-8031.
- Chakraborty, D., Nagarajan, S., Aggarwal, P., Gupta, V.K., Tomar, R.K., Garg, R.N., Sahoo, R.N., Sarkar, A., Chopra, U.K., Sarma, K.S., Kalra, N. (2008). Effect of mulching on soil and plant water status, and the growth and yield of wheat (Triticumaestivum L.) in a semi-arid environment. Agricultural Water Management. 95(12): 1323-1334.
- Follet, R.H., Murphy, L.S., Donalue, R.L. (1981). Soil-fertilizer-plant relationship. Fertilizer Soil Amend. 6(16): 478-481.
- Galinat, W.C. (1985). Whole ear baby corn, a new way to eat corn. In Northeast Corn Improvement Conference. 40: 22-27.
- Kar, P.P., Barik, K.C., Mahapatra, P.K., Garnayak, L.M., Rath, B.S., Bastia, D.K., Khanda, C.M. (2006). Effect of planting geometry and nitrogen on yield, economics and nitrogen uptake of sweet corn (Zea mays). Indian Journal of Agronomy. 51(1): 43-45.
- Kaur, G. and Reddy, M.S. (2014). Influence of P-solubilizing bacteria on crop yield and soil fertility at multilocational sites. European Journal of Soil Biology. 61: 35-40.
- Kumar, V and Singh, K.P. (2001). Enriching vermicompost by nitrogen-fixing and phosphate solubilizing bacteria. Bioresource Technology. 76(2): 173-175.
- Luikham, E., Rajan, J.K., Rajendran, K., Anal, P.S.M. (2003). Effect of organic and inorganic nitrogen on growth and yield of baby corn (Zea mays L.). Agricultural Science Digest. 23(2): 119-21.
- Madhavi, B.L., Reddy, M.S., Rao, P.C. (1995). Integrated nutrient management using poultry manure and fertilizers for maize. Indian Journal of Agronomy.40:307- 310.
- Mikhal, S.M. and Shalaby, Y.Y. (1979). Effect of plant density and nitrogen on maize dry matter production..Research Bulletins of Faculty of Agriculture Ain shams University Agricultural Research Centre Egypt. 1024: 7-9.
- Murdia, L. K., Wadhwani, R., Wadhawan, N., Bajpai, P., Shekhawat, S., (2016). Maize Utilization in India: An Overview. American Journal of Food and Nutrition. 4(6): 169-176.
- Pandey, A.K., Ved, P., Mani, V.P., Singh, R.D. (2000). Effect of rate of nitrogen and time of application on yield and economics of baby corn (Zea mays). Indian Journal of Agronomy. 45(2): 338-343.
- Power, J.F., Willis, W.O., Grunes, D.L., Reichman, G.A. (1967). Effect of soil temperature, phosphorus, and plant age on growth analysis of barley 1. Agronomy Journal. 59 (3): 231-234.
- Raja, V. (2001). Effect of nitrogen and plant population on yield and quality of super sweet corn (Zea mays). Indian Journal of Agronomy. 46(2): 246-249.
- Seemann, J.R., Sharkey, T.D., Wang, J., Osmond, C.B. (1987). Environmental effects on photosynthesis, nitrogen-use efficiency, and metabolite pools in leaves of sun and shade plants. Plant physiology. 84(3): 796-802.
- Sestak, Z., Catský, J., Jarvis, P.G., (1971). Plant photosynthetic production. Manual of methods.
- Thakur, D.R., Prakash, O., Kharwara, P.C., Bhalla, S.K. (1997). Effect of nitrogen and plant spacing on growth, development and yield of baby corn. Indian Journal of Agronomy. 42: 479-83.
- Thavaprakaash N, Velayudham K, Muthukumar VB (2005) Effect of crop geometry, intercropping systems and integrated nutrient management practices on the productivity of baby corn (Zea mays L.) based intercropping systems. Research Journal of Agricultural and Biological Sciences. 1(4): 295-302.
All claims expressed in this article are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of their affiliated organizations, or those of the publisher, the editors and the reviewers. Any product that may be evaluated in this article or claim that may be made by its manufacturer is not guaranteed or endorsed by the publisher.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.