Chief EditorT. Mohapatra
Print ISSN 0367-8245
Online ISSN 0976-058X
NAAS Rating 5.20
Allelopathic Influence of Rauwolfia tetraphylla L. for Enhancing the Seedling Root Vigour of Gram (Cicer arietinum L.)
First Online 10-11-2020|
Methods: The allelopathic action of Rauwalfia tetraphylla L. root extracts was assessed on alignment of rhizosphere pattern in gram seedling (Cicer arietinum L.). Various aqueous root extracts (200, 150, 100, 50, 25 and 12.5 mg ml-1) were prepared from young roots of Rauwalfia tetraphylla L. and the action was observed at 8th and 14th day on seedling especially on root after overnight soaking of seed.
Result: Significant variation was found in diverse seedling and root parameters. The roots extract (100 mg ml-1) stimulated total root length, surface area etc. which was also legitimated in shoot length, vigour index of the seedling. In most cases, allelopathic actions on seed enhanced the quality through modification of rhizosphere pattern with seedling performances than control. Therefore, it can be considered for seed invigoration under Gram seed/crop production programme.
- Arsenault, J.L., Pouleur, S., Messier, C., Guay, R. (1995). WinRhizo, a root measuring system with a unique overlap correction method. Hortculture Science. 30: 906.
- Brijwal Manoj and Kumar Rajesh. (2013) Studies on the seed germination and subsequent seedling growth of Guava (Psidium guajava L.). Indian Journal Agriculture Research. 47(4): 347- 352.
- Chakraborti, P. (2010). Effect of Na-salts on seedlings of Sesame genotypes. Crop Research. 36(1, 2 and 3): 160-165.
- Chakraborti Prabir and Mandal, J. (2017). Allelopathic effect of Rauwolfia tetraphylla L. on seedling root vigour of French bean (Phaseolus vulgaris L.). Journal of Crop and Weed. 13(3): 108-111.
- Cheng, F., Cheng, Z. (2015). Research progress on the use of plant allelopathy in agriculture and the physiological and ecological mechanisms of allelopathy. Front Plant Science. 6: 1020. DOI: 10.3389/fpls.2015.01020
- Giehl, R.F., Gruber, B.D., Von Wirén, N. (2014). It’s time to make changes: modulation of root system architecture by nutrient signals. Journal of Experimental Botany. 65: 769-778.
- Inderjit, Weston, L.A., Duke, S.O. (2005b). Challenges, achievements and opportunities in allelopathy research. Journal of Plant Interactions. 1: 69-81.
- Inderjit, Cadotte, M.W., Colautti, R.I. (2005a). The Ecology of Biological Invasions: Past, Present and Future. In: Invasive Plants: Ecological and Agricultural Aspects (Ed. Inderjit) Birkhauser Verlag / Switzerland. (pp.19-44).
- Kocaçalýskan, I., Terzi, I. (2001). Allelopathic effects walnut leaf extracts and juglone on seed germination and seedling growth. Journal of Horticultural Science and Biotechnology. 76(4): 436-440.
- Kaushik SK, Chakraborti Prabir (2019). Assessment of seed deterioration in varied storage environments through seedling root potentiality of lentil seed. Journal of Pharmacognosy and Phytochemistry. 8(1): 579-582.
- Mandal, A., Tarai, P., Kaushik, S.K., Mahata, A.C., Chakraborti, P. (2013). Allelopathic action of Rauwolfia tetraphylla L. root extracts on gram seeds. Journal of Crop and Weed. 9: 72-75.
- Mohammadi H, Soltani A, Sadeghipour HR, Zeinali E. (2011). Effects of seed aging on subsequent seed reserve utilization and seedling growth in soybean. International Journal of Plant Production. 5(1): 65-70.
- Regent Instruments (2000). User Guide, Mac/ WinRHIZO V4 1, Reference, Regent Instruments Inc.
- Smit, A.L., Sprangers, J.F., Sablik, P.W., Groenwold, J. (1994). Automated measurement of root length with a three-dimensional high-resolution scanner and image analysis. Plant Soil. 158: 145-149.
- Scognamiglio, M., Aborsca, B.D., Esposito, A., Pacifico, S., Monaco, P., Fiorentino, A. (2013). Plant growth inhibitors: allelopathic role or phytotoxic effects? Focus on Mediterranean biomes. Phytochemistry Reviews. 12: 803-830. DOI: 10.1007/s 11101-013-9281-9.
- Terzi, I. (2008). Allelopathic effects of Juglone and decomposed walnut leaf juice on muskmelon and cucumber seed germination and seedling growth. African Journal of Biotechnology. 7: 1870-1874.
- Tinus, R.W., Burr, K.E., Atzmon, N., Riov, J. (2000). Relationship between carbohydrate concentration and root growth potential in coniferous seedlings from three climates during cold hardening and dehardening. Tree Physiology. 20: 1097-1104. DOI: 10.1093/ treephys/20.16.1097.
- Wang, X., Wang, J., Zhang, R., Huang, Y., Feng, S., Ma, X., Zhang, Y., Sikdar, A., Roy R. (2018). Allelopathic Effects of Aqueous Leaf Extracts from Four Shrub Species on Seed Germination and Initial Growth of Amygdalus pedunculata Pall. Forests. 9: 711 (1-14). DOI:10.3390/f9110711.
- Yanagida, M. (2014). The Role of Model Organisms in the History of Mitosis Research. Cold Spring Harb Perspect in Biology. 6(9): a015768. DOI: 10.1101/cshperspect.a015768.
All claims expressed in this article are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of their affiliated organizations, or those of the publisher, the editors and the reviewers. Any product that may be evaluated in this article or claim that may be made by its manufacturer is not guaranteed or endorsed by the publisher.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.