Chief EditorT. Mohapatra
Print ISSN 0367-8245
Online ISSN 0976-058X
NAAS Rating 5.20
Screening of cultivable endophytic bacterial isolates for their plant growth promoting activity in rice
First Online 29-09-2017|
- Ahemad, M. and Kibret, M. (2014). Mechanisms and applications of plant growth promoting rhizobacteria: Current perspective. Journal of King Saud University 26: 1-20.
- Andreote, F., Rocha, U., Araújo, W., Azevedo, J. and Overbeek, L. (2010). Effect of bacterial inoculation, plant genotype and developmental stage on root-associated and endophytic bacterial communities in potato (Solanum tuberosum). Antonie van Leeuwenhoek 97: 389 -399.
- Burch, G. and Sarathchandra, U. (2006). Activities and survival of endophytic bacteria in white lover (Trifolium repens L.). Canadian Journal of Microbiology 52: 848 - 856.
- Dai, J. X., Wang, Y. J., Wu, X. J. and Zhang, X. L. (2012). Stress resistance and genetic diversity of endophytic bacteria isolated from Caragana spp. root nodules. Ying Yong Sheng Tai Xue Bao. 23: 519 - 524.
- Deivanai Subramanian, Bindusara Amitraghata Santhanam, Prabhakaran Guruswamy & Janardhan, B. S. (2014). Culturable bacterial endophytes isolated from Mangrove tree (Rhizophora apiculate Blume) enhance seedling growth in Rice. Journal of Natural Science, Biology and Medicine 5: 437 - 444.
- Dhanya, N. N. and Padmavathy, S. (2014). Impact of Endophytic Microorganisms on Plants, Environment and Humans. The Scientific World Journal 11: 1
- Dong, Z., Canny, M. J., McCully, M. E., Roboredo, M. R., Cabadilla, C. F., Ortega, E. and Rodes, R. (1994). A nitrogen-fixing endophyte of sugarcane stems (A New Role for the Apoplast). Plant Physiology 105: 1139 - 1147.
- Gyaneshwar, P., James, E. K., Mathan, N., Reddy, P. M., Reinhold-Hurek, B. and Ladha, J. K. (2001). Endophytic colonization of rice by a diazotrophic strain of Serratia marcescens. Journal of Bacteriology 183: 2634 - 2645.
- Hamdali, H., Hafidi, M., Virolle, M. and Ouhdouch, Y. (2008). Rock phosphate-solubilizing Actinomycetes: screening for plant growth-promoting activities. World Journal of Microbiology and Biotechnology 24: 2565 - 2575.
- Hayat, R., Ali, S., Amara, U., Khalid, R. and Ahmed, I. (2010). Soil beneficial bacteria and their role in plant growth promotion: a review. Annals of Microbiology 60: 579 - 598.
- Hilbert, M., Voll, L. M., Ding, Y., Hofmann, J., Sharma, M. and Zuccaro, A. (2012). Indole derivative production by the root endophyte Piriformospora indica is not required for growth promotion but for biotrophic colonization of barley roots. New Phytologist 196: 520 - 534.
- Jha, P. and Kumar, A. (2009). Characterization of novel plant growth promoting endophytic bacterium Achromobacter xylosoxidans from wheat plant. Microbial Ecology 58: 179 - 188.
- Khan, A. L., Waqas, M., Hamayun, M., Al-Harrasi, A., Al-Rawahi, A. and Lee, I. J. (2013). Co-synergism of endophyte Penicillium resedanum LK6 with salicylic acid helped Capsicum annuum in biomass recovery and osmotic stress mitigation. BMC Microbiology 13: 51.
- Khan, Z. and Doty, S. (2009). Characterization of bacterial endophytes of sweet potato plants. Plant and Soil 322: 197 - 207.
- Kloepper, J., and Ryu, C.-M. (2006). Bacterial Endophytes as Elicitors of Induced Systemic Resistance. In Microbial Root Endophytes: B. E. Schulz, C. C. Boyle, & T. Sieber (Eds.), Springer Berlin Heidelberg.
- Li, Y. and Yang, X. K. (2006). The effects of single Cr and complex pollutants and La on the growth of rice seedlings. Natural Science 24: 39 - 42.
- Lin, L. and Xu, X. (2013). Indole-3-acetic acid production by endophytic Streptomyces sp. En-1 isolated from medicinal plants. Current Microbiology 67: 209 - 217.
- Long, H. H., Schmidt, D. D. and Baldwin, I. T. (2008). Native bacterial endophytes promote host growth in a species-specific manner; phytohormone manipulations do not result in common growth responses. PLoS One 3. e2702.
- Loon, L. C. (2007). Plant responses to plant growth-promoting rhizobacteria. European Journal of Plant Pathology 119: 243 - 254.
- Rosenblueth, M. and Martínez-Romero, E. (2006). Bacterial endophytes and their interactions with hosts. Molecular Plant Microbe Interaction 19: 827 - 837.
- Santi, C., Bogusz, D. and Franche, C. (2013). Biological nitrogen fixation in non-legume plants. Annals of Botany 111: 743 - 767.
- Sheraz Mahdi, S., Hassan, G. A. Samoon and Rather. (2010). Bio-fertilizers in organic agriculture. Journal of Phytology 2: 42 - 54.
- Spaepen, S., Vanderleyden, J. and Remans, R. (2007). Indole-3-acetic acid in microbial and microorganism-plant signaling. FEMS Microbiol Reviews 31: 425 - 448.
- Steenhoudt, O. and Vanderleyden, J. (2000). Azospirillum, a free-living nitrogen-fixing bacterium closely associated with grasses: genetic, biochemical and ecological aspects. FEMS Microbiology Reviews 24: 487 - 506.
- Sun, L., Qiu, F., Zhang, X., Dai, X., Dong, X. and Song, W. (2008). Endophytic bacterial diversity in rice (Oryza sativa L.) roots estimated by 16S rDNA sequence analysis. Microbial Ecology 55: 415 - 424.
- Szilagyi-Zecchin, V. J., Ikeda, A. C., Hungria, M., Adamoski, D., Kava-Cordeiro, V., Glienke, C. and Galli-Terasawa, L. V. (2014). Identification and characterization of endophytic bacteria from corn (Zea mays L.) roots with biotechnological potential in agriculture. AMB Express 4: 26.
- Tariq, M., Hameed, S., Yasmeen, T., Zahid, M. and Zafar, M. (2013). Molecular characterization and identification of plant growth promoting endophytic bacteria isolated from the root nodules of pea (Pisum sativum L.). World Journal of Microbiology and Biotechnology 30: 719 - 725.
- Taurian, T., Anzuay, M., Angelini, J., Tonelli, M., Ludueña, L., Pena, D. and Fabra, A. (2010). Phosphate-solubilizing peanut associated bacteria: screening for plant growth-promoting activities. Plant and Soil 329: 421 - 431.
- Tsavkelova, E. A., Cherdyntseva, T. A., Botina, S. G. and Netrusov, A. I. (2007). Bacteria associated with orchid roots and microbial production of auxin. Microbiological Research 162: 69 - 76.
- Verma, S. C., Ladha, J. K. and Tripathi, A. K. (2001). Evaluation of plant growth promoting and colonization ability of endophytic diazotrophs from deep water rice. Journal of Biotechnology 91: 127 - 141.
- Waqas, M., Khan, A. L., Kamran, M., Hamayun, M., Kang, S. M., Kim, Y. H. and Lee, I. J. (2012). Endophytic fungi produce gibberellins and indoleacetic acid and promotes host-plant growth during stress. Molecules 17: 10754 - 10773.
- Woodward, A. W. and Bartel, B. (2005). Auxin: regulation, action, and interaction. Annals of Botany 95: 707 - 735.
- Yanni, Y. G., Rizk, R. Y., El-Fattah, F. K. A., Squartini, A., Corich, V., Giacomini, A. and Dazzo, F. B. (2001). The beneficial plant growth-promoting association of Rhizobium leguminosarum trifolii with rice roots. Functional Plant Biology 28: 845 - 870.
- Zachow, C., Fatehi, J., Cardinale, M., Tilcher, R. and Berg, G. (2010). Strain-specific colonization pattern of Rhizoctonia antagonists in the root system of sugar beet. FEMS Microbiology and Ecology 74: 124 - 135.
All claims expressed in this article are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of their affiliated organizations, or those of the publisher, the editors and the reviewers. Any product that may be evaluated in this article or claim that may be made by its manufacturer is not guaranteed or endorsed by the publisher.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.