Chief EditorArvind kumar
Print ISSN 0253-150X
Online ISSN 0976-0547
NAAS Rating 4.75
Production and Economics of Hybrid Maize (Zea mays L.) under Integrated Nutrient Management Practices
First Online 02-01-2021|
Methods: A Field experiment was conducted during rabi season of 2018, at experimental farm, Department of Agronomy, Annamalai University, Chidambaram, Tamilnadu. India. Thirteen treatments with three replications were laid out in randomized block design. The treatments combinations were T1: Recommended dose of fertilizer (RDF) 135:62.5:50 kg N:P2O5:K2O ha-1, T2: RDF + Beema green granules (25 kg ha-1) as soil application, T3: 75% RDF + Beema green granules (25 kg ha-1) as soil application, T4: RDF + Uphaar (250gm ha-1) as foliar spray twice, T5: RDF + Beema green granules (25 kg ha-1) soil application + Uphaar (250gm ha-1) foliar spray twice, T6: 75% RDF + Beema green granules (25 kg ha-1) soil application + Uphaar (250gm ha-1) foliar spray twice, T7: RDF + Tracel (3.75kgha-1) foliar spray twice, T8: RDF + Beema green granules (25 kg ha-1) soil application + Tracel (3.75kg ha-1) foliar spray twice, T9: 75% RDF + Beema green granules (25 kg ha-1) soil application + Tracel (3.75kg ha-1) foliar spray twice, T10: RDF + Uphaar (250gm ha-1) first and Tracel (3.75kg ha-1) second foliar spray. T11: RDF + Beema green granules (25 kg ha-1) soil application + Uphaar (250gm ha-1) first and Tracel (3.75kg ha-1) second foliar spray, T12: 75% RDF + Beema green granules (25 kg ha-1) soil application + Uphaar (250gm ha-1) first and Tracel (3.75kg ha-1) second foliar spray, T13: RDF + water spray twice. The collected samples were statistically analyzed for cob length, cob diameter, grain no. /cob, grain yield, stover yield, available Nitrogen, Phosphorus and Potassium and Post-harvest nutrient status of Nitrogen, Phosphorus and Potassium.
Result: Our investigation in the maize hybrid crop has confirmed us with unique results. Among the treatments RDF + Beema green granules (25 kg ha-1) soil application + Uphaar (250gm ha-1) first and Tracel (3.75kg ha-1) second foliar spray (T11) was highly significant with increased yield and yield attributes and was best in gross and net returns too. The present work will be a contribution to the comprehensive study of the integrated nutrient management in hybrid maize.
- Agriculture Statistics at a Glance. (2018). Ministry of Agriculture and Farmers Welfare, DAC and FW, Directorate of Economics and Statistics.
- Chapagain, T. (2010). Effects of integrated plant nutrient management practices on the sustainability of maize-based hill farming system in Nepal. Journal of Agricultural Science. 2(3): 26-32. DoI:10.5539/jas.v2n3p26
- Chaudhry, A.N., Jilian, G., Khan, M.A. and Iqbal, T. (2009). Improved processing of poultry litter to reduce nitrate leaching and enhance its fertilizer quality. Asian Journal of Chemistry. 21(7): 4997: 5003.
- Dash, D., Patro, H., Tiwari, R.C. and Shahid. (2010). Effect of organic and inorganic sources of N on growth attributes, grain and straw yield of rice (Oryza sativa). International Journal of Pharma and Life Sciences. 2(4): 655-660.
- Habtamu Yigermal, Klemu Nakachew and Fenta Assefa. (2019). Effects of integrated nutrient application on phonological vegetative growth and yield-related parameters of maize in Ethiopia: A review: Cogent food and agriculture. 5: 1567 998. DoI: https://doi.org/10.1080/23311932. 2019. 1567998
- Kumar, R., Deka, B.C., Baishya, L.K., Pandey, A. and Ngachan, S.V. (2012). Effect of mulching, liming and integrated nutrient management on production potential of rabi maize under rainfed condition of Nagaland. (In) Extended Summaries, vol.2.pp.50-51. International Agronomy Congress during 26-30 November, 2012 at New Delhi, India.
- Maidul Hasan, Md., Tushkar Kanti Ray, K.M., Manirul Islam, S.M., Younus Ali, Noor Muhammad, Md. Ataur Rahman and Nitay Chand Barman. (2018). Growth and Yield of Hybrid Maize as Influenced by Fertilizer Management. Turkish Journal of Agriculture-Food Science and Technology. 6(12): 1727-1733. DoI: https://doi.org/10.24925/turjaf.v 6i12.1727-1733.1965
- Malakouti, M.J. (2008). The Effect of Micronutrients in Ensuring Efficient Use of Macronutrients. Turkish Journal of Agriculture. 32 (3): 215-220.
- Meena, O., Khafi, H.R., Shekh, M.A., Mehta, A.C. and Davda, B.K. (2006). Response of rabi Maize (Zea mays L.) to vermicompost and nitrogen levels. Research on Crops. 8(1): 93-94.
- Mudalagiriyappa, B.K., Ramachandrappa, H.V. and Nanjappa, T. (2012). Moisture conservation practices and nutrient management on growth and yield of Rabi sorghum (Sorghum bicolor) in the vertisols of peninsular India. Agricultural Sciences. 3(4): 588-593.
- Nasab, M.V., Mobasser, H.R. and Ganjali, H.R. (2015). Effect of different levels of vermicompost on yield and quality of maize varieties. Biological forum-An international Journal. 7(1): 856-860.
- Panse, V.G. and P.V. Sukhatme. (1978). Statistical methods for Agricultural workers. Indian Council for Agricultural Research, New Delhi.
- Pinjari, S.S. (2007). Effect of integrated nutrient management and polythene mulch on the performance of sweet corn under laterate soils of Konakan Ph.D (Agri) Thesis Dr. Balasaheb Sawant Konakan Krish Viyadeeth.
- Prasad, B.K., Singh, D.N. and Singh, S.N. (2003). Effect of long term use of fertilizer, lime and manures on growth and yield of sweet corn. Journal Indian Society Soil Science. 34(2): 271- 274.
- Prasannakumar, A., Halepyati, S., Pujari, B.T. and Desai. B.K. (2007). Effect of integrated nutrient management on productivity, nutrient uptake and economics of maize (Zea mays L.) under rainfed condition. Karnataka Journal of Agriculture Science. 20(3): 462-465.
- Rajender kumar, Dohiya, O.R., Tyagi, N.K., and M.J. Kaledhonker. (1997). Nitrogen production functions of summer maize (Zea Mays). Crop Research. 13(2): 327-332.
- Rakesh Kumar (2015). Productivity, profitability and nutrient uptake of maize (Zea mays) as influenced by management practices in North-East India. Indian Journal of Agronomy. 60(2): 273-278.
- Rao, S.S. and Shaktawat, M.S. (2002). Effect of organic manure, phosphorus and gypsum on groundnut (Arachis hypogaea) production under rainfed condition. Indian Journal of Agronomy. 47(2): 234-241.
- Rautaray, S.K., Ghosh, B.C. and Mittra, B.N. (2013). Effect of fly ash, organic wastes and chemical fertilizers on yield, nutrient uptake, heavy metal content and residual fertility in rice mustard cropping sequence under acid lateritic soils. Bioresource Technology. 90:275-283. DOI: 10.1016/S09 60-8524(03)00132-9
- Ravikumar, H.S. (2009). Effect of FYM and biodested liquid manure on growth and yield of groundnut under rainfed condition. M.Sc. (Agri) thesis, University of Agricultural Science. Bangalore, 2009.
- Saini, J.P. and Kumar, R. (2014). Long term effect of organic sources of nutrients on productivity and soil health in maize+ soybean-wheat+gram cropping system. RAHMANN G and AKSOY U (Eds.). Proceedings of the 4th ISOFAR Scientific Conference. ‘Building organic bridges’, at the Organic World Congress, 13-15 Oct., Istanbul, Turkey.
- Samsami, S. (2016). Effect of vermicompost on yield and yield components of two corn cultivars, International Journal of Environment, Agriculture and Biotechnology. 1(3): 445-447. DOI: 10.22161/ijeab/1.3.21.
- Sharma, A.R., Singh, R., Dhyani, S.K. and Dube, R.K. (2010). Effect of live mulching with annual legumes on performance of maize (Zea mays) and residual effect on following wheat (Triticum aestivum). Indian Journal of Agronomy. 55(3): 177-184.
- Sharma, P., Abrol, V. and Sharma, R.K. (2011). Impact of tillage and mulch management on economics, energy requirement and crop performance in maize-wheat rotation in rainfed sub humid Inceptisols, India. European Journal of Agronomy. 34: 46-51. DOI: 10.1016/j.eja.2010.10.003
- Sharma, R.C., Banik, P. (2012). Effect of integrated nutrient management on baby corn-rice cropping system: economic yield, system productivity, nutrient-use efficiency and soil-nutrient balance. Indian Journal of Agricultural Sciences. 82(3): 220-224.
- Shukla, L., Tyagi, S.P. (2009). Effect of integrated application of organic manures on soil parameters and growth of mungbean (Vigna radiata). Indian Journal of Agricultural Sciences. 79(3): 174-177.
- Verma, A., Nepolia, A., Kanthaliya, P.C. (2006). Effect of integrated nutrient supply on growth, yield and nutrient uptake by maize (Zea mays L.)-Wheat (Triticum aestivum) crop ping system. Indian Journal of Agronomy. 51(1): 3-6.
All claims expressed in this article are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of their affiliated organizations, or those of the publisher, the editors and the reviewers. Any product that may be evaluated in this article or claim that may be made by its manufacturer is not guaranteed or endorsed by the publisher.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.