Chief EditorArvind kumar
Print ISSN 0253-150X
Online ISSN 0976-0547
NAAS Rating 4.75
Genetics and Phenotypic Analysis of First Lactation Production, Reproduction and Part Lactation Traits in Frieswal Cattle
First Online 26-02-2021|
Methods: The present study was undertaken on first Part lactation production, reproduction and part lactation records of 1470 Frieswal cows maintained over a period of 10 years (2003-2012) two military farms viz Meerut and Ambala at CIRC, Meerut.
Result: The estimate the heritability of production and reproduction traits were 0.29 ±0 .098,0.142±.081, 0.130±0.079, 0.087 ±.074, 0.631 ± 0.255, 0.345 ± 0.247 and 0.100 ± 0.153 for standard 305 days milk yield, age of first calving (AFC), First lactation total milk yield (FLMY), First lactation 305-day or less milk yield (FL305DMY), First lactation length (FLL), Inter calving interval (ICI), First dry period (FDP), First Service Period (FSP), respectively. All the genetic and phenotypic correlation among different production and reproduction traits were high and positive. The estimates of heritability of first lactation individual part monthly yields in Frieswal cattle were found to be 0.100 ± 0.069, 0.105 ± .070, 0.100 ± 0.069, 0.112 ± 0.071, 0.204 ± 0.086, 0.160±0.079, 0.176 ± 0.081, 0.221 ± 0.088, 0.213 ± 0.087 and 0.192 ± 0.09, respectively.
- Annual Report (2011-12), Project Directorate on Cattle, Meerut.
- Annual Report (2010-11), Project Directorate on Cattle, Meerut.
- Annual Report (2001-02), Project Directorate on Cattle, Meerut.
- Banik, S. (2004). Sire evaluation in Sahiwal cattle. Ph.D. Thesis NDRI (Deemed University), Karnal India.
- Banik, S. and Gandhi, R.S. (2006). Animal model versus conventional methods of sire evaluation in Sahiwal cattle. Asian-Aust. Journal Animal Science. 19(9): 1225-1228.
- Becker, W.A. (1975). Manual of Quantitative Genetics. Academic Enterprises Pullman, Washington.
- Chander, R. Singh, D. Dalal, D.S. Malik, Z.S. and Dixit, S.P. (2008). Genetic studies on components of first lactation and lifetime traits in Sahiwal cattle. Indian Journal Animal Research. 42(1): 44-48.
- Dash, S.K. (2014). Genetic evaluation of Karan Fries cattle for fertility and production traits. Ph. D. Thesis National Dairy Research Institute Karnal India.
- Divya, P. (2012). Single versus multi-trait models for genetic evaluation of fertility traits in Karan Fries cattle. M.V. Sc. Thesis National Dairy Research Institute Karnal India.
- Goshu and D. Kita. W. (2014). Effect of non-genetic factors on herd life, selective value and its components in Holstein Friesian cows. Indian Journal Animal Science. 1(84): 50-53.
- Goshu, G. and Singh, H. (2013). Genetic and non-genetic parameters of replacement rate component traits in Holstein Friesian cattle. Springer Plus. 2: 581-287.
- Golverdi, Y.I. Hafezian, H. Chashnidel, Y. and Farhadi, A. (2012). Genetic parameters and parameters of production traits in Iraniaan Holstein population. African journal of Biotechnology. 11(10): 2429-2435.
- Kannan, D.S. (2002). Lifetime performance evaluation of Sahiwal cattle. M.Sc. Thesis, NDRI, (Deemed University), Karnal, India.
- Kathiravan, P. (2009). Genetic evaluation of lifetime performance of Sahiwal cattle. Ph.D. Thesis, NDRI, (Deemed University) Karnal India.
- Kumar, A. (2007). Genetic analysis of stay ability in Sahiwal cattle. Ph.D. Thesis NDRI (Deemed University) Karnal India.
- Kumar, P. (2003). Genetic evaluation of first lactation traits in Sahiwal cattle using restricted maximum likelihood technique. Asian-Aust. Journal Animal Science. 16(5): 639-643.
- Kumar, S. Singh, Y.P. and Kumar, D. (2008). Genetic studies on performance traits in Frieswal cattle. Indian Journal Animal Science. 78(1): 107-110.
- Manoj, M. (2009). Evolving multi-trait selection criteria using body weights and first lactation traits in Sahiwal cattle. M. Sc. Thesis NDRI (Deemed University) Karnal India.
- Mohanty, J.S. (2001). Principal component analysis: A multi trait selection criterion in Sahiwal cattle. M.Sc. Thesis NDRI (Deemed University) Karnal India.
- Mukherjee, S. (2005). Genetic Evaluation of Frieswal cattle. Ph.D Thesis, National Dairy Research Institute (Deemed University), Karnal India.
- Nehra, M. (2011). Genetic analysis of performance trends in Karan- Fries cattle. M.sc. Thesis, National Dairy Research Institute (Deemed University), Karnal, India.
- Raja, T.V. (2010). Part lactation records for Sahiwal sire evaluation. Ph.D. Thesis, NDRI Karnal India.
- Rathee, (2015). Genetic Evaluation of Frieswel cattle for life time traits. Ph.D thesis, national Dairy Research Institute Karnal India.
- Saha et al (2010). Effect of genetic and non-genetic factors on production traits of Frieswal (Holstein Friesian x Sahiwal) crossbred cows. Thesis, National Dairy Research Institute (Deemed University), karnal.
- Saha, S. (2001). Generation-wise genetic evaluation of Karan-Swiss and Karan-Fries cattle. Ph.D. Thesis, national Dairy Research Institute (Deemed University), karnal.
- Singh, V.P., R.V. Singh, C.V. Singh and S.P. Singh (1990). Genetic studies on reproductive efficiency traits in Sahiwal and in crosses with Jersey and Red Dane. Indian J. Anim. Sci. 60: 90-92.
All claims expressed in this article are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of their affiliated organizations, or those of the publisher, the editors and the reviewers. Any product that may be evaluated in this article or claim that may be made by its manufacturer is not guaranteed or endorsed by the publisher.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.