Chief EditorArvind kumar
Print ISSN 0253-150X
Online ISSN 0976-0547
NAAS Rating 4.75
Effect of pinching on yield of African marigold (Tagetes erecta L.) cv. Pusa Narangi Gainda under Andaman conditions
First Online 01-07-2017|
An experiment was carried out to study the effect of pinching on flower yield of African marigold cv.Pusa Narangi Gainda at ICAR-CIARI, Port Blair during 2012 and 2013. The experiment consisted of three treatments T1 (Control) –no pinching, T2- Single pinching 20 days after transplanting and T3-double pinching 15 days after single pinching. The results showed that maximum plant spread (47.2 cm), number of branches (13.7), duration of flowering (36.7 days), number of flowers per plant (56.6), size of flower (6.18 cm), weight of single flower (7.08g), flower yield per plant (347.8 g) and seed yield per plant (20.23g) were observed in the double pinching treatment. The flower yield was maximum in double pinching with three times more yield than the control.
- Arora, J. S. and Khanna, K. (1986). Effect of nitrogen and pinching on growth and flower production of marigold (Tagetes erecta). Indian Journal of Hort., 43 (3/4): 291-294.
- Badge, S., Panchbhai, D. M. and Ghajbhiye, R. P. (2015). Nutrient contect, uptake and yield in African marigold (Tagetes erecta Linn.) as influenced by pinching and foliar application of gibberellic acid. Indian J.Agril. Research 49(6): 534-538.
- Baskaran, V., Abirami, K. and Dam Roy, S. (2014). Effect of plant growth regulators on yield and quality in gladiolus under Bay Island conditions. J. Horti. Sciences. 9(2): 213-216.
- Bhat, Z .and Shephered, H. (2007). Effect of pinching on growth, flowering, seed yield and quality traits in African marigold (Tagetes erecta Linn). J. ornam. Horticulture 10(3): 197-198.
- Gowda J. V. N. and Jayanthi R. (1988). Studies on the effect of spacing and pinching on growth and flowering of chrysanthemum. Curr. Research 17(2): 21-22.
- Kumar, R. and Singh, K. (2003). Effect of growth regulators ad shoot tip pinching on carnation. J. ornam. Horticulture 6(2): 134-136.
- Mohanty, C. R., Mohanty, A. and Parhi, R. (2015). Effect of planting dates on seed traits in African marigold cv. Sirakole. Agril. Science digest 35(4): 285-289.
- Sunitha, H.M., Hunje, R., Vyakaranahal, B. S. and Bablad, H. B. (2007). Effect of pinching and growth regulators on plant growth, flowering and seed yield in African marigold (Tagetus erecta Linn.). J. ornam. Horticulture 10(2): 91-95
- Swaroop, K., Singh, K. P. and Raju, D. V. S. (2007). Vegetative growth, flowering and seed characters of African marigold (Tagetus erecta Linn) as influenced by different growth substances during mild off seasons. J. ornam. Horticulture, 6(2): 134-136
- Tomar B S., Balraj Singh., Negi H.C.S. and Singh, K. K. (2004). Effect of pinching on seed yield and quality traits in African marigold. J. ornam. Horticulture, 7(1):124-126.
All claims expressed in this article are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of their affiliated organizations, or those of the publisher, the editors and the reviewers. Any product that may be evaluated in this article or claim that may be made by its manufacturer is not guaranteed or endorsed by the publisher.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.