Chief EditorArvind kumar
Print ISSN 0253-150X
Online ISSN 0976-0547
NAAS Rating 4.75
Performance of green gram - sesame mixed cropping in the red and lateritic zone of West Bengal
First Online 22-03-2017|
A field experiment was carried out in the red and lateritic soil of Regional Research Station, Jhargram, Bidhan Chandra Krishi Viswavidyalaya,West Bengal during the prekharif season of 2015 to evaluate the technological feasibility of mixed cropping of green gram with sesame under different seeding ratio. The experiment was conducted in a randomized block design with four replications. The treatments comprises for the experiment were T1-sole green gram, T2-sole sesame, T3-green gram: sesame -90:10, T4- green gram : sesame-75 : 25, T5- green gram : sesame-60 : 40 , T6 –green gram : sesame-50 : 50. Yield parameters like number branch/plant, number of pod/ plant, number of capsule/plant, pod length, number of grain per pod/capsule, grain weight etc. were studied. The highest grain yield for both crop was obtained from the sole cropping of green gram and sole sesame. The maximum land equivalent ratio(LER) of 1.18 was observed at green gram : sesame seeding ratio of 60 : 40.The highest green gram equivalent yield( 9.49 q/ha) was obtained from green gram : sesame seeding ratio of 60 : 40 . It was noticed that in all the mixed cropping systems, there was higher LER which indicates higher yield advantage over the sole crop.
- Ali, M.(1990). Pigeonpea Cropping Systems.The Pigeonpea CAB International ICRISAT, Patancheru, A.P. 502324, India. pp. 281-282
- Ali, M. O., Alam, M.J. , Alam, M.S., Islam, M.A. and Sahin-uz-zaman, M. (2007). Study on mixed cropping of mungbean with sesame at different seedings rates. Int. J. Sustain. Crop Prod. 2: 74-77.
- Alom, M.S., Paul, N.K. and Quayyum, M.A. (2008). Performance of hybrid maize (Zea mays L.) under intercropping systems with mungbean (Vignaradiata L.) in different planting methods. SAARAC J. Agri. 6: 73-82.
- Anil, L. , Park, J, Phips, R.H. and Miller, F.A. (1998). Temperate intercropping of cereals for forage: A review of the potential for growth and utilization with particular reference to the UK. Grass Forage Sci. 53: 301-317.
- Anjeneyula.,V. R., Singh, S. P. and Ali. , M. (1982).Effect of competition free period and technique and pattern of pearl millet planting in growth and yield of mungbean and total productivity in solid pearl millet and pearl millet/ mungbean intercropping systems. Indian J. Agron. 27: 219-226.
- Basak, N. C.,Hosssain, S.M.A. Islam, I. and Bhuiyan, N. I. (2006). Intercrropping wheat with groundnut at variable plant population.Bangladesh J. Agril. Res.31:207-215.
- Chowdhury, B. L. and Bhargava, P. N. (1986). Statistical assessment of effect of sowing and fertilizer application on the yields of sorghum and pigeonpea intercrops. Indian J. of Agril. Sci. 56:629-634.
- Islam, M. N. and Akteruzzaman, M.(2008). Survey on multiple cropping systems in farmers field. In: Annual Research Report 2007-08, Agronomy Division, BARI, Joydebpur, Gazipur. Pp.22-25.
- Islam, M. S., Isla, M. A., Begum, M. A., Maniruzzaman and Alam. M. A. U.(2014).Yield performance of lentil as a mixed crop with rapeseed. Bangladesh Agron J.17: 33-40.
- Ofori, F. and Stern, W.R. ( 1987). Cereal-Legume intercropping systems. Adv. Agron. 41: 41-90.
- Patra, B. C., Mandal, B.K. and Padhi, A.L. (2000).Production potential of winter maize(Zea mays L.) based intercropping systems. Indian J. Agric. Sci. 70:2003-2006.
- Razzaque, M. A., Rafiquzzaman, S., Bazzaz, M. M. M. , Ali , A. and M. M. R. Talukdar, M.M.R.(2007). Study on the intercropping groundnut with chilli at different plant populations. Bangladesh J. Agril. Res. 32: 37-43.
- Santalla, M., Rodnio, Casquero, P.A. and De Ron, A.M. (2001). Intercropped with field and sweet maize. European J. Agron.15: 185-196.
- Willey, R.W.(1979).Intercropping- Its importance and research needs. Part I.Competetion and yield advantage. Fld. Crop. Abstract. 32: 1-10.
All claims expressed in this article are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of their affiliated organizations, or those of the publisher, the editors and the reviewers. Any product that may be evaluated in this article or claim that may be made by its manufacturer is not guaranteed or endorsed by the publisher.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.