Chief EditorArvind kumar
Print ISSN 0253-150X
Online ISSN 0976-0547
NAAS Rating 4.75
Response of local rice (Oryza sativa L.) cultivars to recommended NPK fertilizer dose under upland rainfed conditions
First Online 22-03-2017|
The present investigation was conducted to study the growth and yield response of local rice cultivars to application of recommended dose of NPK fertilizers under upland rainfed conditions. It was found that the application of recommended NPK fertilizer dose (60:30:30 kg/ha) resulted in significantly superior expression of rice growth and yield attributes by the different cultivars recording increased grain yields up to 36.51 q/ha and straw yields of 60.96 q/ha. Among the 8 local rice cultivars tested signification variations in plant growth, yield and yield attributes were observed. However, the cultivar ‘Muntse’ was found to be the most adaptable rice variety recording the highest grain yield of 42.94 q/ha followed by ‘Temeseng’, ‘Leikhumo’ and ‘Chongloi Mann’. Application of recommended fertilizer dose (60:30:30 kg/ha) to the cultivar ‘Mumtse’ was found to record the highest gross return/ha (Rs.51,342), net return/ha (Rs. 30,169) as well as BCR (1.42) compared to the rest of the treatments tested.
- Alam, M. M., Hassanuzzaman, M. and Nahar, K. (2009). Tiller dynamics of three irrigated rice varieties under varying phosphorus levels. Am.-Eurasian J. Sustain. Agric. 2: 89-94.
- Anonymous. (2005). Annual Administrative Report 2004-05. Department of Agriculture, Government of Nagaland, Nagaland.
- Anonymous. (2014). Statistical handbook of Nagaland. Directorate of Economics & Statistics, Government of Nagaland, Nagaland.
- Bhiah, K. M., Guppy, C., Lockwood, P. and Jessop, R. (2010). Effect of potassium on rice lodging under high nitrogen nutrition. 19th World Congress of Soil Science, Soil Solutions for a Changing World, 1 – 6 August 2010, Brisbane, Australia.
- Chaturvedi, I. (2005). Effect of nitrogen fertilizers on growth, yield and quality of hybrid rice (oryza sativa). J. Cent. Eur. Agric. 6: 611-618.
- Dey, S. K. and Narasinga Rao, C. H. (1998). Influence of nutrient deficiency on photosynthesis and productivity in early rice varieties.Oryza. 26:317-319.
- Ikramullah, M. and Mahunta, R. (2001). Response of rice to the graded level of NPK fertilizers. Crop Res. Hisar. 21: 120- 122.
- Irshad, A., Abbas, G. and Khaliq, A. (2000). Effect of different nitrogen application techniques on the yield and yield components of fine rice. Int. J. Agric. Biol. 2-3: 239-241.
- Lotha, L., Singh, P. L. and Ahmed, P. (2005). Growth and yield of direct seeded upland rice varieties under rainfed condition of Nagaland. Res. on Crops. 6: 444-445.
- Mahapatra, I. C. and Panda, S. C. (1972). Uptake and utilization of nitrogen, phosphorus and potassium by dwarf indica rice. Rice Newsletter. 21:1-19.
- Nayagam, P. G., Nagarajan, M. and Raja, V. D. G. (1986). Studies on the performance of certain upland rice cultivars. Madras Agric. J. 73: 645-647.
- Panse, V. G. and Sukhatma, P. V. (1978). Statistical Methods for Agricultural Workers, ICAR, New Delhi.
- Prasad, R. (1998). Fertilizer urea, food security health and the environment. Curr. Sci.. 75: 677-683.
- Reddy, B. G. M., Pattar, P. S. and Kuchanur, P. H. (2005). Response of rice to poultry manure and graded levels of NPK under irrigated condition. Oryza. 42: 109-111.
- Satapathy, D. and Nanda, A. K. (1978). Inter-relationship between yield and some associated characters in upland rice grown under rainfed conditions. Oryza 15: 12-18.
- Sheela, K. R. and Alexander, V. T. (1995). Performance of rainfed rice (Oryza sativa) as influenced by varieties and nutrient levels. Indian J. Agron. 40: 407-411.
- Shekara, B.G., Venkatesh, K., Thimmarajappa M. and Govindappa, M. (2010). Grain yield, nitrogen use efficiency and economics as influenced by levels and time of nitrogen application in aerobic (Oryza sativa L.) under Cauvery command area. Res. on Crops. 12: 276-278.
- Singh, B. K., Thakur, R. B. and Singh, R. P. (1985). Effect of fertility levels on the performance of tall indica rice under ill- drained lowland conditions of North Bihar. Oryza. 22: 125-127.
- Sinha, M. K. and Banerjee, S. P. (1987). Path analysis of yield components in rice. Kasetsart J. Nat. Sci. 21: 86-92.
- Thakur, R. B. (1993). Performance of summer rice (Oryza sativa) to varying level of nitrogen. J. Agron. 38: 187-190.
- Tunga, A. K. and Nayak, R. L. (2000). Effect of NPK and Zn on different high yielding rice and hybrid rice varieties during wet season. J. Intercadamicia. 4: 562-565.
All claims expressed in this article are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of their affiliated organizations, or those of the publisher, the editors and the reviewers. Any product that may be evaluated in this article or claim that may be made by its manufacturer is not guaranteed or endorsed by the publisher.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.