Chief EditorArvind kumar
Print ISSN 0253-150X
Online ISSN 0976-0547
NAAS Rating 4.75
Assessment of farmers saved groundnut seed quality of Devbhoomi Dwarka district of Gujarat, India
First Online 22-03-2017|
Present study was aimed to determine the seed quality of groundnut used for sowing by farmers of Devbhoomi Dwarka district of Gujarat. Eighty two samples of farmers saved seeds of groundnut were collected from four villages of Jam Khambhalia, six villages of Kalyanpur, one village of Dwarka and three villages of Bhanvad talukas of Devbhoomi Dwarka. The study revealed that 96.34 per cent of seed samples conformed to the prescribed seed standards for germination, moisture content, physical purity, insect infestation; while, 76.83 per cent of seed samples recorded equal or higher than 70 per cent field emergence. The results suggest that the quality of groundnut seed used for sowing by farmers was satisfactory in Devbhoomi Dwarka of Gujarat. However, farmers need to be more educated about the importance and advantages of using good quality certified seeds and shall be trained for maintenance of seed quality by adopting pre and post harvest measures so as to harvest good yields of the desired varieties.
- Anonymous (1991). Annual progress report groundnut 1990. 38th Annual kharif oilseed research worker’s group meeting. All India Co-ordinated Research Project on Oilseeds. 16-18.
- Anonymous (2008). International rules for seed testing. Seed Sci. Technol. Zurich, Switzerland.
- Dahiya, B.S., Deswal, D.P., Duhan, J.C. and Kashyap, R. (1997). Status of seed quality at farmers’ level in field crops. In: Seed Technology, B. S. Dahiya and K. N. Rai (eds.). Kalyani Publishers, Ludhiana, pp 18-25.
- Dhedhi, K.K., Ghelani, Y.H., Joshi, H.J. and Dangaria, C.J. (2011). The quality of farmers own saved groundnut seeds. Seed Res., 39: 107-111.
- Dhedhi, K.K., Parsana, G.J., Dangaria, C.J. and Joshi, A.K. (2007). Quality status of groundnut seed at farmers’ level in Gujarat. Seed Res., 35: 111-113.
- Dick, K.M. (1987). Losses caused by insects to groundnuts stored in a warehouse in India. Tropical Science, 27 : 65-75.
- Ghelani, Y.H., Dhedhi, K.K., Joshi, H.J. and Dangaria, C.J. (2010). Quality of Farmers Saved Groundnut Seeds With Special Reference to Insect Infestation in Gujarat. PKV Res. J., 34: 61-62.
- Kant, K. (2001). Advances in Physical Purity Analysis. In: Compendium of Advances in Seed quality evaluation (ed. Dr. Rajendra Kumar), Central Seed Testing Laboratory, Division of Seed Science and Technology, IARI, New Delhi, pp 182-185.
- Lukose, C., Kadvani, D.L., Jani, S.M., Buhecha, K.V. and Pethani, K.V. (1998). Seed health status of farmer’s groundnut seed. Seed Res., 26: 209-211.
- Narayanaswamy, S., Ujjinaiah, U.S. and Venkata Reddy, T.N. (1996). Quality of groundnut seeds used for sowing by farmers of Karnataka. Seed Tech News. 26: 5-7.
- Prasad, S.R., Ujjinaiah, U.S., Siddappa, B., Narayanaswamy, S. and Deshapande, V.K. (1994). The quality of seeds of paddy, groundnut and sunflower used by farmers in Karnataka. Seed Tech News. 24: 49.
- Rajendra, Kumar S., Parihar, S., Jethani, I. and Negi, H.C.S. (2005). Seed quality status in groundnut ( Arachis hypogea L.). Seed Res., 33: 61-64.
All claims expressed in this article are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of their affiliated organizations, or those of the publisher, the editors and the reviewers. Any product that may be evaluated in this article or claim that may be made by its manufacturer is not guaranteed or endorsed by the publisher.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.