Chief EditorArvind kumar
Print ISSN 0253-150X
Online ISSN 0976-0547
NAAS Rating 4.75
Analysis of variability, correlation and path coefficient studies for yield and quality traits in Rice (Oryza Sativa L.)
First Online 22-03-2017|
Variability, correlation and path analysis for yield and quality traits were studied on 27 rice genotypes. The higher estimates of PCV and GCV were observed for yield per plant (42.04) and filled seeds per panicle (33.9) indicate possibility of genetic improvement through direct selection. High heritability in broad sense coupled with high genetic advance as percent of mean exhibited by effective tillers, plant height, flag leaf length, filled grains per panicle, test weight, yield per plant, head rice recovery and length/breadth ratio indicating preponderance of additive gene action which provide good scope for further improvement by selection. Grain yield per plant had highest significant positive association with filled seeds per panicle, plant height, flag leaf length, effective tillers, flag leaf width and panicle length indicating importance of these characters for yield improvement, while head rice recovery was found to be significantly and positively correlated with milling percent and hulling percent . Path analysis reveals that test weight (3.48), effective tillers (1.57), and filled grains per panicle (1.41) had positive direct effect on grain yield per plant. Among the quality traits kernel length followed by milling percent and kernel elongation ratio had direct effect on head rice recovery.
- Bhadru, D., Thirumal, R. V., Chandra, M. and Bharathi, D. (2012) Genetic variability and diversity studies in yield and its component traits in rice (Oryza sativa L) SABRAO J. of Breeding and Genetics 44 : 129-137.
- Burton, G.W. and Devane. (1953) Estimation of heritability in tall fescue (Festula arundnaces) from replicated colonal material Agro. J. 45: 478-481.
- Chakravarty, A. and Ghosh, P. (2014) Interrelationship and cause effect analysis among panicle yield attributing traits in lowland traditional rice. J. of control Europe an Agriculture 15: 213-224.
- Dewey, D.R. and Lu. (1959) A correlation and path coefficient analysis of components of crested wheat grass seed production, Agro. J. 15: 515-518.
- Dhanwani, R.K., Sarawgi, A.K., Solanki, A., and Tiwari, J.K. (2013) Genetic variability analysis for various yield attributing and quality traits in rice (Oryza sativa L) The Bioscan 8: 1403-1407.
- Dhurai, S.Y., Bhati, P.K. and Saroj, S.K. (2014) Studies on genetic variability for yield and quality characters in rice (Oryza sativa L.) under irrigated fertilizer management. The Bioscan 9 : 745-748.
- Falconer, D.S. (1981). Introduction to Quantitative Genetics, ELBS, Longman.
- Ghaffar Kiani and Gahar banali Nematzadeh.(2012) Correlation and path coefficient studies in F2 Populations of rice Not Sci. Biol 4: 124-127.
- Hanson, C.H., Robinson, H.F. and Comstock, R.K. (1956). Biometrical studies on yield in segregating populations of koreass larphadezia. Agro. J., 48: 314-318.
- Johnson, H.W., Robinson, H.F. and Comstock, R.E. (1955). Estimation of genetic and environmental variability in soybean, Agro. J. 47: 317-318.
- Khan, A.S., Imran, M. and Ashfaq, M. (2009) Estimation of genetic variability and correlation for grain yield components in rice (Oryza Sativa L.). American Eurasian J.Agric & Environ.Sci., 6 (5): 585-590.
- Kole, P.C., Chakraborty, N.R. and Bhat, J.S. (2008) Analysis of variability, correlation and path coefficients in induced mutants of Aromatic non basmati rice. Tropical Agricultural Research and extension, 11:60-64.
- Krishna Veni, B., Vijaya Lakshmi, B. and Ramana, J.V. (2013) Variability and Association studies for yield components and quality parameters in rice genotypes. Journal of rice research, 6: 16-23.
- Kumar, V., Koutu, G.K., Singh, S.K., Mishra, D.K., Singh, P.K. and Sohgaura. (2014). Genetic analysis of inter subspecific derived mapping population (RILs) for various yield and quality attributing traits in rice (Oryza Sativa L.). International Science Journal Vol. I: 1-7
- Mamata, S., Kumar, K. and Singh, R. (2007). Study on coefficient of variation, heritability and genetic advance in hybrid rice Oryza 4: 12-21.
- Mulugeta seyoum., Sentayehu Alanerew and Kassahun Bantze . (2012) Genetic variability, heritability, correlation coefficient and path analysis for yield and yield related traits in upland rice (Oryza sativa L). Journal of Plant Sciences 7: 13-22
- Murthy, P.S.N. and Govinda Swamy. (1967). Inheritance of grain size and its correlation with the hulling and cooking qualities. Oryza 4: 12-21.
- Nandan, R., Swetha and Singh, S.K. (2010) Character association and path analysis in rice (Oryza sativa L) genotypes. World Journal of Agricultural Sciences 6: 201-206.
- Nirmala Devi, G., Padmavathi, G., Suneetha Kota and Babu V.R. (2015) Genetic variability, heritability and correlation coefficients of grain quality characters in rice (Oryza sativa L.) SABRAO. Journal of Breeding and Genetics 47: 424-433.
- Panse, V.G. (1957) Genetics of quantitative characters in relation to plant breeding. Indian Journel of genetics 17:318-328.
- Panse, V.G. and Sukhatme, P.V. (1961) Statistical Methods for Agricultural Workers 2nd edn ICAR New Delhi P 361.
- Shivani, D. and Sri Rama Reddy, N. (2000) Correlation and path analysis in certain rice genotypes (Oryza sativa L.) Oryza 37: 183-186.
- Singh, R.P. (1980). Association of grain yield and its components in F1 and F2 populations of rice. Oryza, 17: 200-204
- Singh, J., Dey, K., Sanjeev singh and Shahi, J.P. (2005) Variability, heritability, genetic advance and genetic divergence in induced mutants of irrigated basmathi rice (Oryza sativa L.) Oryza 42: 210-213.
- Vanisree, S., Swapna, K., Damodhar Raju, CH., Surender Raju, C.H. and Sreedhar, M. (2013). Genetic variability and selection criteria in rice, Journal of Biological and Scientific Openion 1: 341-346
- Venkata Subbaiah, P., Reddy Sekhar., Reddy, K.H.P. and Eshwara Reddy, N.P. (2011) Variability and genetic parameter for grain yield and its components and kernel quality attributes in CMS based rice hybrids (Oryza sativa L.) International Journal of Applied Biology and pharmaceutical technology 2: 303-609.
- Vinodhini, S. and Ananda Kumar, C.R. (2005) Correlation and path coefficient analysis in drought tolerant rice cultures for yield. The Andhra Agril. Journal 52: 373-377.
All claims expressed in this article are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of their affiliated organizations, or those of the publisher, the editors and the reviewers. Any product that may be evaluated in this article or claim that may be made by its manufacturer is not guaranteed or endorsed by the publisher.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.