Chief EditorArvind kumar
Print ISSN 0253-150X
Online ISSN 0976-0547
NAAS Rating 4.75
Assessment of yield losses of rice caused by paddy leaf folder, Cnaphalocrocis medinalis Guenee
First Online 22-03-2017|
Six genotypes viz., Palam Basmati-1, Palam Red Rice, HPR 1068, Arize 6129, HPR 2143 and Kasturi Basmati were evaluated to assess the crop/ yield losses by paddy leaf folder, Cnaphalocrocis medinalis at CSK Himachal Pradesh Krishi Vishvidyalaya, Rice and Wheat Research Centre, Malan, during Kharif 2012. The leaf infestation (47.1%) at maturity stage was significantly lower in HPR 2143 as compared to other varieties. However, Kasturi Basmati was having significantly higher leaf infestation (77.2%) as compared to Arize 6129 (59.2%), HPR 1068 (57.7%), Palam Red Rice (57.0%) and HPR 2143 (47.1%) and was found at par with Palam Basmati-1 (73.3%).Yield data revealed that the grain yield was higher in protected plots as compared to unprotected plots irrespective of the varieties. The highest grain yield was recorded in protected plots of Arize 6129 (76.45 q/ha) followed by Kasturi Basmati (59.07 q/ha), HPR 1068 (57.15 q/ha), Palam Basmati-1 (56.52 q/ha), HPR 2143 (52.84 q/ha) and Palam Red Rice (46.22 q/ha). The grain yield varied from 35.26 to 53.40 q/ha in the unprotected plots. Assessment of yield losses revealed that the maximum per cent avoidable losses was found in Kasturi Basmati (37.9%) and least in HPR 2143 (11.9%).
- Atwal, A.S. and Singh, B. (1990). Pest population and assessment of crop losses. Indian council of Agricultural Research, New Delhi p 107.
- Chhavi, Srivastava, A. and Sharma, P.K. (2016). Population build up of rice leaf folder, Cnaphalocrocis medinalis (Guenee) under mid-hill conditions of Himachal Pradesh. Journal of Insect Science 29: 37-42.
- Nanda, V.K. and Bisoi, R.C. (1990). Bionomics of rice leaf folder, Cnaphalocrocis medinalis. Orissa Journal of Agricultural Research 3: 130-135.
- Pandya, H.V., Shah, A.H. and Purohit, M.S. (1987). Yield loss caused by leaf folder damage alone and combined with yellow stem borer damage. International Rice Research Newsletter 12: 28.
- Rai, A.K., Sinha, R.B.P. and Singh, A.K. (2000). Effect of abiotic factors on the population of rice leaf folder, Cnaphalocrocis medinalis (Guenee). Annals of Plant Protection Sciences 8: 154-158.
- Reddy, P.P. (2013). Recent advances in crop protection http://springer.com/book/
- Saikia, P. and Parameswaran, S. (1999). Assessment of yield losses at different growth stages of rice due to rice leaf folder, Cnaphalocrocis medinalis Guenee. Annals of Plant Protection Sciences 7: 135-138.
- Satish, D., Chander, S. and Reji, G. (2007). Simulation of economic injury levels for leaf folder Cnaphalocrocis medinalis (Guenee) on rice (Oryza sativa L.). Journal of Scientific and Industrial Research 66: 905-911.
- Shanmugam, T.R., Sendhil, R. and Thirumalvalavan, V.V. (2006). Quantification and prioritization of constrainst causing yield loss in rice (Oryza sativa) in India. Agricultura Tropica et Subtropica 39: 194-201.
- Srivastava, A., Rana, S., Prashar, A., Sood, A., Kaushik, R.P, and Sharma, P.K. (2009). Paddy insect pests and diseases management in Himachal Pradesh. Indian Farming 59: 24-29.
All claims expressed in this article are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of their affiliated organizations, or those of the publisher, the editors and the reviewers. Any product that may be evaluated in this article or claim that may be made by its manufacturer is not guaranteed or endorsed by the publisher.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.