Study of correlation and path coefficient analysis in germplasm lines of Indian mustard (Brasica juncea L.)
Citation :- Study of correlation and path coefficient analysis in germplasm linesof Indian mustard (Brasica juncea L.) .Agricultural Science Digest.2016.(36):92-96
An investigation was undertaken to study the correlation and path coefficient analysis of twelve quantitative traits in 30 Indian mustard (Brassica Juncea L.) germplasm lines. The experimental material was evaluated in a randomized block design with three replications. Correlation study revealed that harvest index and total biological yield per plant exerted high significant positive correlation coefficients with seed yield at both genotypic and phenotypic level. Seed yield is negatively correlated with days to 50 % flowering and days to maturity which promotes early flowering and early maturing genotypes. Path analysis revealed that harvest index showed maximum positive direct effect, followed by total biological yield per plant, days to maturity, siliquae length at the time of maturity and seed yield per plant at both genotypic and phenotypic levels. Based on result it has been concluded that two traits namely harvest index and total biological yield per plant exerted high correlation as well as direct influence on seed yield may be considered for selection and to improve the seed yield of the mustard genotypes.
- Choudhary, V.K., Kumar, R. and Sah, J.N. (2003). Path analysis in Indian mustard. J. App. Biol. 13: 6-8.
- Dewey, D.R. and Lu, K.H. (1959). A correlation and path coefficient analysis of components of crested wheat grass seed production. Agro. J. 51: 515-518.
- Shekhawat, K., Rathore, S.S., Premi, O.P., Kandpal, B.K. and Chauhan, J.S. (2012). Advances in Agronomic Management of Agro. J Indian Mustard [Brassica juncea (L.) Czernj. Cosson]: An Overview. Int. J. Agro. p. 14.
- Kumar, N. and Srivastava, S. (2004). Variability and character association studies in Indian mustard. J. App. Biol. 14: 9-12.
- Ramani, V.G., Patel, M.P. and Naik, P.L. (1995). Path analysis in mustard Gujrat Agriculture University. Res. J. 20: 157-159.
- Rawat, D.S. and Anand. (1977). Association of seed yield and oil content with yield components in Indian mustard. Crop. Improve. 4: 95-102.
- Satyavathi, C.T., Raut, R.N. and Bhardwaj. (2000). Regression and nature of association among different quantitative traits in some inter-specific hybrid derivatives of Indian mustard (B. juncea L.). Indian J. Agric. Sci. 70: 455-458.
- Searle, S.R. (1961). Phenotypic, genotypic and environmental correlations. Biometrics. 17: 474- 481.
- Shalini, T.S., Sheriff, R.A., Kulkarni, R.S. and Venkataramana, P. (2000). Correlation and path analysis of Indian mustard germplasm. Res. Crops. 1: 226-229.
- Singh, S. K. and Singh. A.K. (2010). Inter relationship and path analysis for seed yield in Indian mustard. Indian. J. Eco. 37: 8-12.
- Tak, G.M. (1976). Correlation and path-coefficient analysis of yield component in the three forms of Brassica campestris. Crop. Improv. 3: 50-52.
- Wright, S. (1921). Correlation and causation. J. Agric. Res. 20: 557-587.