Chief EditorArvind kumar
Print ISSN 0253-150X
Online ISSN 0976-0547
NAAS Rating 4.75
Repercussion of photosynthetic variables and related enzymes under influence of sodium dihydrogen orthophosphate and sodium sulphate with two modes of gibberellic acid application
First Online 22-03-2017|
An experiment was carried out to investigate whether the application of gibberellic acid (GA) along with NaH2PO4 and/or Na2SO4 could ameliorate photosynthetic variables and enzymes in chickpea cultivar DCP 92-3 without compromising the nitrogen fixing activity. Before, sowing the seeds of chickpea were soaked for 8 h in 10-6MGA. 60 and 70 days after sowing (DAS), the plants were sprayed with 10-6MGA along with 2 kg P and /or S/ha in two equal splits. Performance of the crop was assessed in terms of chlorophyll content (Chl), net photosynthetic rate (PN), stomatal conductance (gs), carbonic anhydrase activity (CA) and one most significant N-fixing enzyme, NR. Treatment (16) SGA+FGAPS proved best, it enhanced Chl content by 46.16% and 48.84% PN by 64.24 and 65.37%, NR by 22.37% and 22.46% respectively at 90 and 100 DAS. CA at 100 DAS only and gs at both stages of sampling found non-significant. Moreover, CA enhanced by 64.56% at 90 DAS also.
- FAO (2011) Crops statistics-concepts, definitions and classifications. Retrieved May 29, 2011 from http://www.org/crops- statistics-concepts-definitions-and-classifications.
- Anonymous (1992) The Wealth of India. Vol.III. C.S.I.R., New Delhi, pp. 340-349
- Arnon, D.I. (1949). Copper enzymes in isolated chloroplasts. Polyphenol oxidase in Beta vulgaris. Plant Physiol, 24: 1-15.
- Buchanan, B.B., Gruissen, W. and Jones, R.L. (2000) Biochemistry and Molecular Biology of Plants. American Society of Plant physiologists, Rockville, Maryland
- Chin, TY and Lockhart, JA (1965) Translocation of applied gibberellin in bean seedlings. Am. J. Bot, 52: 828-833
- Chaurasia, S and Chaurasia, AK (2008) Effect of fertility levels and growth regulators on growth and yield of chickpea (Cicer arietinum L.). Crop Res, 36: 71-75
- Dwivedi, RS and Randhawa, NS (1974) Evaluation of rapid test for the hidden hunger of zinc in plants. Plant Soil, 40: 445-451
- Gana, AS (2010) The role of synthetic growth hormones in crop multiplication and improvement. African J. Biotechnol, 10:10330-10334
- Hopkins, WG (2004). Introduction to Plant Physiology. 2nd ed. John Wiley and Sons, Inc. New York
- Jafri, N (2009). Study of the Effect of GA3 Application on the Performance of Sunflower. M.Phil. Dissertation, Aligarh Muslim University, Aligarh, India
- Jaworski, EG (1971) Nitrate reductase assay in intact plant tissues. Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun, 43: 1274-1279
- Khan,TA, Mazid, M and Quddusi, S (2014) Role of organic and inorganic chemicals in plant-stress mitigation. Approaches to Plant Stress and their Management (Ed.).P.K.Gaur and P.Sharma. DOI-10.1007/978-81-322-1620-9-3. Springer, India, 2014. Pp. 39-52
- Khan, T (1993) Studies on the Effect of Soil and Foliar Application of Nutrients on the Performance of Mustard. Ph.D. thesis, Aligarh Muslim University, Aligarh, India
- Mazid, M. (2014a) Response of Cicer arietinum L. to plant growth regulators and mineral nutrients. Ph.D. thesis, Aligarh Muslim University, Aligarh, India.
- Mazid, M. (2014b) Seed priming application of gibberellic acid on growth, biochemical, yield and protein status of Chickpea (Cicer arietinum L. cv. DCP 92-3). Int. J. Genetic Eng. Biotechnol. 5: 17-22.
- Mazid, M, Ali, B, Hayat, S and Ahmad, A (2010) The effect of 4-chloro-3-indoleacetic acid on some growth parameters in mung bean under cadmium stress.Turk. J. Biol, 34: 9-13.
- Mazid, M, Khan, TA, and Mohammad, F (2011a) Cytokinins, A classical multifaceted hormone in plant system. J. Stress Physiol & Biochem, 7: 347-368.
- Mazid, M, Khan, TA and Mohammad, F (2011b) Response of crop plants under sulphur stress tolerance: A holistic approach. J Stress Physiol Bioch, 7: 23-57
- Mazid, M, Khan, TA, and Mohammad, F (2011c) Cytokinins, A classical multifaceted hormone in plant system. J. Stress Physiol Biochem, 7: 347-368.
- Mazid, M, Khan, TA, Mohammad, F and Nooris, N (2013) Physico-biochemical effects of pre-sowing seed treatment with gibberellic acid on Helianthus annus L.- National conference of Plant Physiology” Current Trends in Plant Biology Research”: 895-896. Junagarh,Gujarat
- Mazid, M, Khan, TA and Mohammad, F (2012) Medicinal Plants of rural India: A review of use by Indian folks. Indo Global .J. Pharmaceu. Sci, 2:286-304
- Mazid, M (2014). Response of cicer arietinum L. to plant growth regulators and mineral nutrients. Ph.D. thesis, Aligarh Muslim University, Aligarh, India.
- Naqvi, N, Khan, TA, Mazid, M, Khan, F Quddusi, S Roychowdhury, R (2014) Phytoremediatory potential of Guava and Ashok tree at three different sites of Bareilly district-A case study: ARPN J Agric Biol sci, 9:101-109
- Naqvi, A Afridi, MMRK and Samiullah (1977) Effect of phosphorus and sulphur on the growth and yield of Laha -101. Geobios, 4: 253-254
- Ouzounidou, G and Ilias, I (2005) Hormone-induced protection of sunflower photosynthetic apparatus against copper toxicity. Biol. Plant, 49: 223-228
- Quddasi, S Khan, F Mazid, M Khan, TA Shakeel, A and Arshad, M (2014) Quality status of nutrients,vitamins and hormones under pathological threats in tomato: Basic scenario.Medi.Chemis.Anal, 4:12-21
- Shah, SH (2007a) Physiological effects of pre-sowing seed treatment with gibberellic acid on Nigella sativa L. Acta Bot. Croat, 66: 67-73.
- Shah, SH (2007b) Photosynthetic and yield responses of Nigella sativa L. to pre-sowing seed treatment with GA3.Turk J Biol, 31: 103-107
- Shah, SH (2008) Effects of nitrogen fertilisation on nitrate reductase activity, protein, and oil yields of Nigella sativa L. as affected by foliar GA3 application. Turk J Bot, 32: 165-170
- Sandahya, D Kathuria, E Kakralya, BL and Malik, CP (2012) Influence of plant growth regulators on photosynthesis in moongbean subjected to water-stress. Indian J. Plant Physiol, 17: 241-245
- Tiwari, DK, Pandey, P, Giri, SP and Dwivedi, JL (2011) Effect of GA3 and other plant growth regulators on hybrid rice seed production. Asian J. Plant Sci, 10: 133-139
- Taiz, L. and Zeiger. E. (2010). Plant Physiology. 5th Ed. Sinauer Associates, Inc., Sunderland, MA, USA.
- Thakare, U Patil, N and Malpathak, N (2011) Performance of chickpea under the influence of gibberellic acid and oxygenated peptone during germination. Adv. Biosci. Biotechnol, 2: 40-45
All claims expressed in this article are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of their affiliated organizations, or those of the publisher, the editors and the reviewers. Any product that may be evaluated in this article or claim that may be made by its manufacturer is not guaranteed or endorsed by the publisher.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.