Chief EditorArvind kumar
Print ISSN 0253-150X
Online ISSN 0976-0547
NAAS Rating 4.75
Yield Reductions of Wheat Cultivar Obora (UTIQUE96/FLAG-1) due to Russian Wheat Aphid (Diuraphis noxia) Infestation under Field Conditions at Selected Districts of West Showa Zone, Ethiopia
First Online 16-01-2022|
Methods: The experiment was carried out at selected districts of West Showa zone, Ethiopia during off cropping season 2019 to evaluate the yield reduction in wheat crop due to the invasion of Russian wheat aphids. Malamar, Dimethoate, neem seeds, leaves, Beaveria bassiana and Metarhizium anisopliae were used in form of spray.
Result: However, Malamar and Dimethoate highly significantly lowered the population of Diuraphis noxia. The combination of Beaveria bassiana and Metarhizium anisopleae significantly lowered the population of Russian wheat aphid. The combination of Neem leaf and Neem seeds, as well as Beaveria bassiana, proved to be effective against Russian wheat aphid yet they were protected and sound against the environments. Malamar showed the maximum decrease in Diuraphis noxia populations followed by Dimethoate, the combination of Beaveria bassiana and Metarhizium anisopleae.
- Aheer, G.M., Munir, M., Ali, A. (2007). Impact of weather factors on the population of wheat aphids at Mandi Baha-ud-Din district. Journal of Agricultural Research. 45: 61-66.
- Aheer, G.M., Ali, A., Ahmad, M. (2008). Abiotic factors affect population fluctuation of a late aphids in wheat. Journal of Agricultural Research. 46: 367-371.
- Alemu, A., Getnet, M. (2012). Yield loss assessment in bread wheat varieties caused by yellow rust (Puccinia striiformis f. sp. tritici) in Arsi Highlands of South Eastern Ethiopia. American Journal of Bioscience. pp. 104-112. doi: 10.11648/j.ajbio. 20190706.14.
- Anna-Maria, B., Youchun, L. and Lapitan, N.l.V. (2003). Cereal host interactions with Russian wheat aphid: A review. Journal of Plant Interactions. 1(4): 211-222.
- Aslam, M., Razaq, M., Akhter, W., Faheem, M., Ahmad, F. (2005). Effect of sowing date of wheat on aphid (Schizaphis gramium Rondani) population. Pak Entomol. 27: 79-82.
- ATA, (2014.) Agricultural Transformation Agency.
- Azhar, A.K., Khan, A.M., Tahir, H.M., Afzal, M., Khaliq, A., Khan, S.Y. and Raza, I. (2011). Effect of wheat cultivars on aphids and their predator populations. African Journal of Biotechnology. 10(80): 18399-18402.
- Burnett, P.A., Robinson, J., Skovmand, B., Mujeeb-Kazi, A. and Hettel, G. (1991). Russian Wheat Aphid Research at CIMMYT. Current Status and Future Goals. Wheat Special Report No. 1. Mexico, D.F.: CIMMYT.
- CSA (Central Statistical Agency), (2014). Agricultural sample survey report on area and production of major crops. Statistical Bulletin (532), Volume VI, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
- Demeke, M. and Di Marcantonio, F. (2013). Analysis of incentives and disincentives for wheat in Ethiopia. Technical notes series, MAFAP, FAO and Rome.
- Falola, A., Achem, B.A., Oloyede, W.O. and Olawuyi, G.O., (2017). Determinants of Commercial Production of Wheat in Nigeria: A Case Study of Bakura Local Government Area, Zamfara State. Trakia Journal of Sciences. 15(4): 397-404.
- FAO, (2009). Agricultural commodities: profiles and relevant WTO negotiating issues, 2009. Retrieved fromhttp://www.fao. org/docrep/006/y4343e/y4343e02. htm#TopOfPage)
- Gair, R., Jenkins, J.E.E., Lester, E. (1987). Cereal pests and diseases (9th edn). Farming Press Ltd, United Kingdom.
- Haregewoin, T., Belay, B., Bezabeh, E., Kelemu, K., Hailu, D. and Daniel, F., (2018). Impact of Improved Wheat Variety on Productivity in Oromia Regional State, Ethiopia.
- Karimullah, Ahmad, K.F. (1989). Incidence of the cereal aphid Sitobion avenae (F) on different cultivars of wheat. Sarhad Journal of Agriculture. 5: 59-61.
- Hatchett, A.H., Starks, K.J., Webster, J.A. (1987). Insect and Mites Pest of Wheat. In: Wheat and Wheat Improvement (E.G. Heyne Edition) Madison, Wisconsin, USA.
- Khan, A.A., Khan, A.M., Tahir, H.M., Afzal, M., Khaliq, A. et al. (2011). Effect of wheat cultivars on aphids and their predator populations. African Journal of Biotechnology. 10: 18399-18402.
- Khan, S.S. (2000). Impact of plant phenology of various wheat genotypes on aphid population and subsequent losses in wheat due to aphids. Approved M.Sc. Thesis, Dept of Plant Protection, NWFP Agricultural University, Peshawar.
- Khakwani, A.A., Dennett, M.D., Munir, M. and Abid, M. (2012). Growth and yield response of wheat varieties to water stress at booting and an thesis stages of development. Pakistan Journal of Botany. 44: 879-886.
- Kiss, J. (2011). Some impacts of the EU accession on the New Member States’ agriculture. Eastern Journal of European Studies. 2(2): 49-60.
- Kostyukovskii, M.G., Kushnerik, V.M. (1990). Population dynamics of cereal leaf aphids on winter wheat. Zashchita rastenii (Kiev). 37: 10-13.
- Miller, R.H. and Haile, A. (1988). Russian wheat aphid on barley in Ethiopia. Rachis. 7: 51.
- Najafi, A. (2014). Wheat production price-performance prediction in the Iranian north province. African Journal of Agricultural Research. 9(1): 74- 79.
- Nawaz, H. (2000). Insect pest of wheat and the effect of fertilizer (NPK) on aphid population. M.Sc Thesis Deptt of Entomology, NWFP Agricultural University, Peshawar.
- Nigussie, A., Kedir, A., Adisu, A., Belay, G., Gebrie, D. and Desalegn, K. (2015). Bread wheat production in small scale irrigation users agro-pastoral households in Ethiopia: Case of Afar and Oromia Regional State. Journal of Development and Agricultural Economics. 7(4): 123-130.
- Oakley, U.N., Ellis, S.A., Walters, K.F.A., Watling M (1993). The effects of cereal aphid feeding on wheat quality: Cereal Quality III, proceedings of Association of Applied Biologist, Churchill College Cambridge, UK Aspects of Applied Biology.
- Riedell, W.E. (1990). Tolerance of wheat to Russian Wheat aphids: Nitrogen fertilization reduces yield loss. Journal of Plant Nutrition. 13: 579-584.
- Sultan, U. (2016). Analysis of Wheat Value Chain: The case of Sinan district, Bale Zone, Oromia region, Ethiopia. Thesis Haramaya University, Haramaya, Ethiopia.
- Wains, M.S., Aziz-ur-Rehman, Latif, M., Hussain, M. (2008). Aphid dynamics in wheat as affected by weather and crop planting time. Journal of Agricultural Research. 46: 361-366.
- Yang, X.W. (1990). Effects of temperature and light on the population growth of Schizaphis graminum (Rondani). Insect Knowledge. 27: 263-266.
All claims expressed in this article are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of their affiliated organizations, or those of the publisher, the editors and the reviewers. Any product that may be evaluated in this article or claim that may be made by its manufacturer is not guaranteed or endorsed by the publisher.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.