GENERAL AND SPECIFIC COMBINING ABILITY STUDIES IN MAIZE USING LINE X TESTER DESIGN
Citation :- GENERAL AND SPECIFIC COMBINING ABILITY STUDIES IN MAIZE USING LINE X TESTER DESIGN.Agricultural Science Digest.2011.(31):8 - 13
Information about combining ability is important for making breeding strategies. Fifteen parents involving Line x tester mating design to was carried out identify superior parental lines and crosses on the basis of their combining ability. GCA effects were highly significant for all traits. Data were recorded on ten morphological and three quality traits .Non additive effects were found important for all characters .The inbred lines L4, L5,T2 and T5 were good combiner for yield and quality traits .The hybrids L10xT2,L5xT5,L4xT2 and L9xT4 were identified to be significantly superior in term of yield and quality traits.
Line × Tester.
- Dalby, A. and Tsai, C. (1975) Acetic anhydride requirement of calorimetric determination of tryptophan. Analyst Biochem. 63:283-285.
- Dubey, R.B., Joshi,V.N. and Verma, M. (2009) Heterosis for nutritional quality and yield in conventional and non conventional hybrids of maize (Zea mays L). Indian J.Genet. 69 (2) :109-114.
- Joshi, V.N., Pandiya, N.K. and Dubey, R.B. (1998) Heterosis and combining ability for quality and yield in early maturing single cross hybrid of maize (Zea mays L.). Indian J. Genet., 58: 519-524.
- Kempthorne, O. (1957) An introduction to genetic statistics. John Wiley and Sons Inc., New York, pp. 545.
- Khristova,P.and Khristova,K. (1995) Study of combining ability and inheritance with regard to crude protein content in mutant maize lines. Rasteniv Dni Nauki 32:13-115.
- Lowry, O.N., Rosebrough, N.J., farr, A.L. and Randall, R.J. (1951) Protein measurement with folin phenol reagent. J. Biol. Chem. 193:265-275.
- Morrie ,M.L., Risopoulos J. and Beck, D. (1999) Genetics changes in future recyled maize seed: A review of the evidence CIMMYT econ. Working paper no. 99-07 Mexico D.E.CIMMYT P.1
- Ortega, E.I. and Bates,L.S. (1983) Biochemicals and agronomical studies of two modified hard endosperm opaque –2 maize population . Cereals Chem. 60:107-111.
- Panse,V.G. and Sukhatme, P.V. (1967) Statistical Methods for Agricultural Workers, Ed.2 ICAR, New Delhi.
- Pixley, K.V. and Bjarnason, M. (1993) Combining ability for yield and protein quality among modified endosperm opaque-2 tropical maize inbred. Crop Sci., 33(6): 1229-1234.
- Shanthi, P.Babu G.S., Satyanarayana E.and Kumar R.S. (2010) Combining ability and stability studies for grain yield and quality parameters in QPM (Zea mays L.) inbred lines crosses.Indian J.Genet. 70 (1):22-28.
- Singh,A.K., Shahi, J.P.and Rakshit , K. (2010) Heterosis and combining ability for yield and its related traits in maize (Zea mays L). Indian Agric. Sci.. 80 (3): 248-249.
- Sprague, G.F. and Tatum, L.A. (1942) General vs. specific combining ability in single crosses of corn. J. American Soc. Agron., 34: 923-932.
- Vacaro,E.,Fernandes, J.,Neto, B.,Pegoraro,D.G.,Nuss,C.N.and Conccicao,L.H. (2002) Combining ability of twellaw maize population Pesq. Agropec.Bras. Brasilia, 37:67-72.
- Vasal, S.K., Srinivasan, G. Gohzalez, C.F., Beck, D.L. and Crossa, J. (1993) Heterosis and combining ability of CIMMYT quality protein maize germ plasm II sub tropical. Crop Sci. 33(1): 51-57.
- Vasal,S.K.,Villegas.,Bjarnsason, M.,Gelau, B. and Goertz, P. (1980) Genetic modified and breeding strategies in developing hard endosperm opaque -2 material In Improvement of quality traits of grains and silage use Pallmer, W.G. and Phipps, P.H. (Ed.). Martinus Nijhoff Publ. The Hague .Netherland pp. 37-73.