FIELD SCREENING OF LOCAL GENOTYPES AGAINST CHARCOAL ROT OF SORGHUM CAUSED BY MACROPHOMINA PHASEOUNA (TASSI) GOlD
Citation :- FIELD SCREENING OF LOCAL GENOTYPES AGAINST CHARCOAL ROT OF SORGHUM CAUSED BY MACROPHOMINA PHASEOUNA (TASSI) GOlD.Agricultural Science Digest.2002.(22):87 - 89
Twelve local genotypes were screened for charcoal rot resistance in the sick plot duing 1998–99 and 1999–2000. The results of the study indicated that the local genotypes Honnutagi local (17.9%), Kannoli local (20.3%), Muddebihallocal (21.1%) and Barsi Prakash (24.1%) followed by disease incidence were found superior to popularly grown variety M 35-1 (41.2%). The study also revealed that the local genotypes recorded reduced levels of other charcoal not parameters such as per cent lodging due to charcoal rot (% soft stalk), MLS and MNC. The local genotypes also possessed desired breeding traits such as delayed senescence and stay green type could be employed in resistance breeding programme for rabi sorghum.
- Anahosur, KH. and Rao, M.V.H. (1977). Sorghum NewsJ. 20: 22.
- Anaso, A.B. (1995). CUrT. Res. Communs, 23: 153-159.
- Bramel-cox, P.J. and Claffin, L.E. (1990). Crop Sci., 29: 1468-72.
- Desai, SA (1998). Karnataka J. Agric. Sci., 11:403-409.
- Hiremath, R.v. and Palakshappa (1991). Sorghum NewsJ., 32:39.
- Hosmani, M.M. and Chitapur, B.M. (1997). Sorghum Production and Technology. S.M. Hosamani and Wood Ridge Hill, Texas, 161p.
- Padagoankar, S.M. and Mayee, C.D. (1990). Indian Phytopath, 43: 192-196.