A FIELD COMPARISON OF CONVENTIONAL SUCKERS WITH IN-VITRO DERNED PLANTING MATERIAL OF BASRAI BANANA
Citation :- A FIELD COMPARISON OF CONVENTIONAL SUCKERS WITH IN-VITRO DERNED PLANTING MATERIAL OF BASRAI BANANA.Agricultural Science Digest.2005.(25):149 - 150
In banana,large scale multiplication of plants through tissue culture has been already commercialized, An experiment was conducted to compare in-vitro plants and conventionally produced suckers of Basrai banana. The observations on plant characters consisting growth, duration and yield revealed that, the tissue culture plants were more vigorous in growth and superior in yield compared to banana plants raised front conventional suckers. Plants raised through tissue culture recorded increase in height and girth of pseudostem by 16.90 and 26.30 per cent respectively. Total number of leaves (36.48) per plant produced by plants raised through tissue culture were significantly more than those raised by using conventional suckers (34.63). Reduction in total crop duration was observed in plants raised through tissue culture. An increase in bunch weight (31.37 per cent) was recorded in plants raised through tissue culture. Increase in number of hands and fingers per bunch contributed to the higher bunch weight in plants raised through tissue culture.
- Daniels, JW. (1988). Banana News., 1: 11:2.
- Drew, RA and Smith, MK (1990). Aust. J. Expt. Agnc., 30: 569-574.
- Hwang, S.C. and Chen, C.L. (1984). Hort. Sci., 19: 232-233.
- Kwa, M. and Ganry, J. (1990). Fruits, Paris (Special issue): 107-111.
- Menon, R. and Premlatha, T. (1996). Proc. Conf., 'Chal/enges for Banana Prod. and Utilization in 21" Century., Trichy (24-25th Sept., 1996):264-266.
- Reddy, B.M.C. and Kumar, V. (1996). Proc. Conf., 'Chal/enges for Banana Prod. and Utilization in 21 Sf century., Trichy. (24-25'hSept., 1996): 242-245.
- Robinson, J.C. (1990). Acta. Hort., 275: 181·187.
- Robinson, J.e. and Anderson (1995). Citrus and Subtropical Fruit. Res. Inst. Inform. Bulletin. 210: 3.