PATHOGENICITY OFMYCOPLASMAUKE ORGANISM OF SESAME (SESAMUMINDICUML.) AND ITS WILD RELATIVES
Citation :- PATHOGENICITY OFMYCOPLASMAUKE ORGANISM OF SESAME (SESAMUMINDICUML.) AND ITS WILD RELATIVES.Agricultural Science Digest.2005.(25):77 - 78
Pathogenicity of mycoplasma like organism (MLO) causing phyllody was investigated under field condition on eight cultivated sesame genotypes of Sesamum indicum L. and three other sesame's wild relatives. The results revealed that except one cultivar namely SVPR 1, all other sesame cultivars were susceptible to MLO induced phyllody. Three wild relatives such as Sesamum alaturn Thonn., Sesamum malabaricum Burm. and Sesamum yanaimalaiensis showed resistance to phylIody disease. Hence, the sesame cultivar SVPR 1 and its wild relatives can be very well utilized as the donor parent in resistant breeding programme against phyllody disease.
- Ashri, A. and Palevitch, D. (1970). Exp. Agric., 4: 81-83.
- Joshi, A.B. (1961). Sesamum. A Monograph. Indian Central Oilseeds Committee, Hyderabad.
- Murugesan, M. etaJ. (1978). MadrasAgric. J., 65: 290-295.
- Shanthi, S. (1997). Ph.D. Thesis. TNAU. Coimbatore.
- Srinivasalu. B. (1991). Ph.D. ThesIs. TNAU, Coimbatore.