Morphological characteristics of foetal membranes of swamp buffaloes of Assam
Citation :- Morphological characteristics of foetal membranes ofswamp buffaloes of Assam .Indian Journal Of Animal Research.2016.(50):156-159
The present investigation was undertaken to study the morphological characteristics of foetal membrane of swamp buffaloes of Assam. Animals were calved normally and no cases of retention of placenta were recorded. The average expulsion time, weight, length, width and number of cotyledons of foetal membranes were 241.20+ 22.05 minutes, 3.47+0.12 kg, 171.87+ 2.99 cm, 30.83+ 0.73 cm and 114.83+ 5.56 respectively. A highly significant (P<0.01) positive correlation between birth weight of the calf and weight and width of the foetal membranes and a significant (P<0.05) positive correlation between birth weight and number of small cotyledons of foetal membranes were recorded in the present study. There was no significant effect of parity on various characteristics of foetal membranes except the number of large cotyledons. The number of large cotyledons was significantly (P<0.05) higher in animals of third to fifth lactation than in animals of first and second lactation. The sex of calves had no significant effect on various characteristics of foetal membranes.
- Abd- Elnaeim, M. M. M.; Miglino, M. A.; Pfarrer, C. and Leiser, R. (2003). Microvascular architecture of the foetal cotyledons in water buffaloes during different stages of pregnancy. Ann. Anat. 185: 325-334.
- Benirschke, K. (2005). Comparative placentation. http// medicine. Ucsd. Edu/ cpa/ indxfs. htm. Electronic citation.
- Bhalaru,S.S.; Tiwana, M.S. and Dhillon, J.S. (1985). Factors effecting the time taken for normal expulsion of placenta in buffaloes. Indian J. Anim. Res. 19: 101-104.
- Bhosrekar, .R.and Sharma, K. N. (1972). Studies on foetal placenta of cattle and Murrah buffaloes of different breeds. Indian J. Anim. Prod. 3: 8-15.
- Jainudeen M.R., Hafez E.S.E. (2000). Gestation prenatal physiology and parturition In: Hafez B, Hafez E.S.E. ed.: Reproduction in Farm Animals. Maryland: Lippicott Williams and Wilkins p 140-156.
- Kadu, M. S. and Kaikini, A.S. (1975). Studies on foetal placenta in Sahiwal cows. Indian Vet. J. 52: 6-11.
- Misra,B.S.; Raizada, B,C. and Tewari, R.B.L. (1970). Gestation length, birth weight of calves and body weight changes during pregnancy in buffaloes bred during summer. Indian J. Anim. Sci. 40:103-109.
- Ranjhan, S. K. and Pathak, N.N. (1993). Text book on Buffalo Production. 3rd edn. Vikas Publishing House, New Delhi.
- Sarvaiya, N.P,; Mehta, V.M.; Despande, V. and Jankiraman, K. (1990). Effect of sex of calf, season of calving and parity on placental weight and expulsion time in Surti buffaloes. Cheiron 19:122-126.
- Schmidt, S. (2005). Morphology of peri-partal placentomes and post- partal foetal membranes in African buffalo (Syncerus caffer) and comparative aspects with cattle (Bos taurus). M.V.Sc. thesis, submitted to Department of Production Animal studies in Faculty of Veterinary Science, University of Pretoria, South Africa.
- Sharma, R.D.; Gupta, S.K. and Kohli, R.N. (1979). Morphological studies on foetal membranes in Murrah buffaloes. Indian J. Dairy Sci. 32: 1-6.
- Singh, D.; Bhalla, R.C. and Soni, B.K. (1966). Studies on reproduction in Murrah buffalo cows. 1. Process of parturition. Indian Vet. J. 43: 812-819.
- Singh,R.; Khar, S.K. and Chander, S. (1994).Parturition in buffaloes. Indian J. Anim. Sci. 64: 1028-1033.
- Snedocore, G.W. and Cochran, W.G. (1989): Statistical Methods. 8th edn. Oxford and IBH publishing Co., New Dehli, India.
- Tulloh, N.M. and Holmes J.H.G.(1992).World animal science, C6, buffalo production. School of Agriculture and Forestry, the University of Melbourne, Victoria 3052, Australia.