Evaluation of oxidative stress in rats (Rattus rattus) inhabiting Bathinda region of Punjab, India
Citation :- Evaluation of oxidative stress in rats (Rattus rattus) inhabiting Bathinda region of Punjab, India .Indian Journal Of Animal Research.2016.(50):168-174
Exposure to various toxic chemicals has become an increasingly recognized source of illness in human and animals, worldwide. The present study was designed to evaluate the oxidative stress in Rattus rattus inhabiting Bathinda region of Punjab. Punjab Agricultural University, Ludhiana campus rats served as control rats. Rattus rattus were brought to laboratory and separated according to sex. The animals were dissected, vital organ excised and weighed and blood and tissues were processed for histological and biochemical studies. Relative weights of liver, heart and kidney were observed to be higher in rats collected from Bathinda as compared to the control rats. Light microscopic observations of liver and kidney sections of Bathinda rats showed many histological changes. Levels of total proteins were found to be lower in blood, liver, kidney and brain of rats collected from Bathinda region. Activities of antioxidant enzymes namely catalase, glutathione peroxidase and glutathione transferase were reduced
- Aebi, H. (1983). Catalase In: Bergmeyer H U and Weinheim (ed) Methods of Enzymatic Analysis. Academic Press. Pp 227-282.
- Agar, N.S., Sadrzadeh S.M.H., Hallaway P.E. and Eaton J.W. (1986). Erythrocyte catalase: a somatic oxidant defense. J. Clinic. Investigation., 77:319-321.
- Bhalla, A., Singh G., Kumar S., Shahi J.S. and Mehta D. (2011). Elemental analysis of ground water from different regions of Punjab state (India) using EDXRF technique and the sources of water contamination. International conference on environmental and computer science PCBEE 19:156-164.
- Carlberg, I., and Mannervik B. (1985).Glutathione reductase. Methods. Enzymol., 113:484-490.
- El-Gendy, K. S., Radwan, M. A. and Gad, A. F. (2010) In vivo evaluation of oxidative stress biomarkers in the land snail, Theba pisana exposed to copper-based pesticides. Chemosphere., 77: 339-344.
- Gattermann, R., Fritzsche P., Weinandy R. and Neumann K. (2002). Comparative studies of body mass, body measurements and organ weights of wild-derived and laboratory golden hamsters (Mesocricetus auratus). Lab. Anim., 36: 445-54.
- Habig, W.H., Pabst M.J. and Jakoby W.B. (1974). Glutathione-S-transferase: the first enzymatic step in mercapturic acid formation. J. Biol. Chem., 249: 7130-7139.
- Hafeman, D.G., Sunde R.A. and Hoekstra W.G. (1984). Effect of dietary selenium erythrocyte and liver glutathione peroxidise in the rat. J. Nutrition., 104: 580-587.
- Heikal, T., Mossa A.T., Rasoul M. and Marei H. (2013). The ameliorating effects of green tea extract against cyromazine and chlorpyrifos induced liver toxicity in male rats. Asian. J. Pharm. Clin. Res., 6(1): 48-55.
- Lowry, O.H., Rosebrough N.J., Farr A.L. and Randall A.J. (1951). Protein measurement with folin phenol reagent. J. Biol. Chem., 193:265-275.
- Marklund, S. and Marklund G. (1974). Involvement of the superoxide anion radical in the autoxidation of pyrogallol and a convenient assay for superoxide dismutase. Euro. J. Biochem., 47:469-474.
- Mates, J.M., Cristina P.G. and Ignacio N.C. (2000). Antioxidant enzymes and human diseases. Clinic. Biochem., 32 (8): 595-603.
- Mathur, P.P. and Cynthia D’Cruz. (2011). The effect of environmental contaminants on testicular function. Asian. J. Androl., 13: 585–591.
- Mostafalou, S. and Abdollahi M. (2012). Current Concerns on Genotoxicity of Pesticides. Inter. J. Pharma., 8: 473-474.
- Othman, A.M.A., Numair K.S.A., Gaber E., Yusuf K., Othman Z., Aboul-Soud M and Giesy J.P. (2011). Protection of á- tocopherol and selenium against acute effects of malathion on liver and kidney of rats. Afric. J. Pharma., 5(10): 1263-1271.
- Ozden. I., Sullivan M.R., Lee H.M. and Wang S.S.(2009). Reliable coding emerges from coactivation of climbing fibers in microbands of cerebellar Purkinje neurons. J. Neurosci., 29:10463–10473.
- Piao, Y., Liu Y. and Xie X. (2013). Change trends of organ weight background data in spraguedawley rats at different ages. J. Toxicol. Pathol., 26(1): 29–34.
- Puri, S.N., Murthy K.S. and Sharma O.P. (1999). Integrated Pest Management for Sustainable Cotton Production. In: Sundram V, Basu A.K., Iyar K.K.R., Narayana S.S. and Rajendran T.P. (ed) Handbook of Cotton in India. Pp 233-245. Indian Society for Cotton Improvement (ISCI), C/o. Central Institute for Research on Cotton Technology, Mumbai.
- Raina, R., Verma P., Pankaj N.K. and Prawez S. (2009). Induction of oxidative stress and lipid peroxidation in rats chronically exposed to cypermethrin through dermal application. J. Veter. Sci., 10:257-259.
- Sodhi, S., Sharma A., Chawla J.S. and Brar A.P.S. (2008). Supplementation of vitamin E and selenium in malathion toxicity in broiler chicks. Indian. J. Poult. Sci., 36: 100–102.
- Stocks, J. and Dormandy T.L. (1971). The autoxidation of human red cell lipids induced by hydrogen peroxide. British. J. Haem., 20 (1): 95-111.
- Sung, D.Y., Lee D., Harris H., Raab A., Feldmann J., Meharg A., Kumabe B., Komives E.A. and Schroeder J. (2007). Identification of an arsenic tolerant double mutant with a thiol-mediated component and increased arsenic tolerance in phyA mutants. Plant. J., 49:1064–1075.
- Tekman, B., Ozdemir H., Senturk M. and Ciftci M. (2008). Purification and characterization of glutathione reductase from rainbow trout (oncorhynchusmykiss) liver and inhibition effects of metal ions on enzyme activity. Comp. Biochem. Physio- Part C., 148: 117-121.
- Tunçmen, H. and Tüzmen H.M. (2007). Biochemical effects of pesticide contaminated drinking water on lipid peroxidation and free-radical scavenger. Hacettepe. J. Biol. Chem., 35(2): 111-116.
- Zelko, I.N., Mariani T.J. and Folz R.J. (2002). Superoxide dismutase multigene family: A comparison of the CuZn-SOD (SOD1), Mn-SOD (SOD2), and EC-SOD (SOD3) gene structures, evolution, and expression. Free. Radic. Biol. Med., 33:337–49.
- Zhang, Y.C., Rosso W.B., Lacis A.A., Oinas V. and Mishchenko M.I. (2004). Calculation of radiative fluxes from the surface to top of atmosphere based on ISCCP and other global data sets: Refinements of the radiative transfer model and the input data. J. Geophys. Res., 109:1-27.