Investigation of acid tolerance attribute of various Lactobacillus casei group strains
Citation :- Investigation of acid tolerance attribute of various Lactobacilluscasei group strains .Indian Journal Of Animal Research.2016.(50):190-193
Lactobacillus casei group is commonly used as probiotics. Various factors affect their viability in gastrointestinal tract. Twenty two strains of Lactobacillus casei group, were assessed for acid tolerance attribute. ASCC 292 showed the highest viability at pH 1.5. Fifteen remaining strains have shown no activity after 1 h. At pH 2.0, ASCC 1002 has shown lowest viability after 2 h of incubation. At pH 2.5, all twenty two strains decreased their viable count after 3 h of incubation. Greater viable count of Lactobacillus strains were observed at pH 3.0. This study suggests the importance to identify all the useful Lactobacillus strains in order to study further for their therapeutic benefits.
- Beck, C. and Necheles, H. (1961). Benificial effects of administration of Lactobacillus acidophilus in diarrhoea and other intestinal disorders Am J Gastroenterol; 35: 522-533.
- Berrada, N., Lemeland, J. F., Laroche, G., Thovenot, P. and Piaia, M. (1991). Bifidobactrium from fermented milk: Survival during gastic transit. J Dairy Sci; 74: 409.
- Charteris, W. P., Kelly, P. M., Morelli, L. and Collins, J. K. (1998). Development and application of an in-vitro methodology to determine the transit tolerance of potential probiotic Lactobacillus and Bifidobacteria species in the upper gastrointestinal tract. J. Appl. Microbiol; 84: 759-768.
- Fernandez, M.F., Boris, S. and Barbes, C. (2003). Probiotic properties of human lactobacilli strains to be used in the gastrointestinal tract. Journal of Applied Microbiology; 94:449–455.
- Gilliland, S. E. and Speck, M. L. (1977). Deconjugation of bile acids by intestinal Lactobacilli. Appl Environ Microbiol; 33: 15-18.
- Jacobsen, C. N., Nielsen, V. R., Hayford, A. E., Moller, P. L., Michaelsen, K. F., Paerregaard, A., Sandström, B., Tvede, M., Jakobsen, M. (1999). Screening of probiotic activities of forty-seven strains of Lactobacillus spp. by in vitro techniques and evaluation of the colonization ability of five selected strains in humans. Appl. Environ. Microbiol; 65: 4949–4956.
- Lankaputhra, W. E. V. and Shah, N. P. (1995). Survival of Lactobacillus acidophilus and Bifidobacterium spp. in the presence of acid and bile salts. Cultured Dairy Products J; 30: 2-7.
- Liong, M. T. and Shah, N. P. (2005). Acid and bile tolerance and cholesterol removal ability of lactobacilli strains. Journal of Dairy Science; 88:55-66.
- Marteau, P., Pochart, P., Bouhnik, Y. and Rambaud, J. C. (1993). Fate and effects of some transiting microorganisms in the human gastrointestinal tract. World Review of Nutrition and Dietetics; 74:1–21.
- Millette, M., Luquet, F-M., Marcia Teresa Ruiz, M.T. and Lacroix, M. (2008). Characterization of probiotic properties of Lactobacillus strains. Dairy Science Technology; 88:695–705.
- Muhammad. G., Ashraf, M., Arshad, M. and Siddique, M. (2009). In vitro screening of locally isolated lactobacillus species for probiotic properties. Pakistani Veterinary Journal; 29:186-190.
- Pereira, D. I. and Gibson, G. R. (2002). Effects of consumption of probiotics and prebiotics on serum lipid levels in humans Crit Rev Biochem Mol Biol; 37: 259-281.
- Saran, S., Singh, K., Bisht, M.S. and Teotia, U.V.S. (2012). Analyzing probiotic attributes to assess comparatively two isolates of Lactobacillus acidophilus in prebiotics, honey and inulin. Double Helix Research’s-International Journal of Biomedical and Life Sciences; 2:26-34.
- Shah, N. P. (2000). Probiotic Bacteria: Selective enumeration and survival in dairy foods J Dairy Sci; 83: 894-907.
- Simon, G. L. and Gorbach, L. (1987). Intestinal flora and gastrointestinal function: In: Physiology of Gastrointestinal Tract. [L. R. Johnson. (ed)] Raven Press, New York, NY. 2: 1729.
- Succi, M., Tremonte, P., Reale, A., Sorrentino, E., Grazia, L., Pacifico, S. and Coppola, R. (2005). Bile salt and acid tolerance of Lactobacillus rhamnosus strains isolated from Parmigiano Reggiano cheese. FEMS Microbiology Letters; 244:129–137.
- Shukla, G., Sharma, G. and Goyal, N. (2010). Probiotic characterization of lactobacilli and yeast strains isolated from whey beverage and therapeutic potential of lactobacillus yoghurt in murine giardiasis. American Journal of Biomedical Science; 2:248-261.
- Veldman, A., (1992). Probiotics. Tijdschr Diergeneeskd. 15: 117; 345-348.