Correlation of body condition score, weight, measurements and effect of parity and stage of lactation on milk parameters of Gir cows
Citation :- Correlation of body condition score, weight, measurements and effect of parity and stage of lactation on milk parameters of Gir cows .Indian Journal Of Animal Research.2016.(50):255-259
Experiment was conducted on 100 Gir cows of different parity and stage of lactation maintained at Ashti Dairy Farm, Ashti, taluka Partur, district Jalna of Maharashtra state. The present experiment was carried out to know the effect of parities and stage of lactation on milk parameters viz; Weekly Milk Yield (WMY), Weekly Fat Corrected Milk Yield (WFCMY), Fat and Solid Not Fat (SNF) percent and correlation between Body Condition Score (BCS), Body Weight (BW) and body measurements viz; height at wither, height at hook, heart girth and body length with milk parameters. The Least Squares Analysis of Variance has revealed significant effect of parity on the WMY, WFCMY and Fat percentage whereas, significant effect of stages of lactation on the WMY and WFCMY of Gir cows. The positive to negative significant correlation coefficients of body condition score with WMY (0.110); Height at wither with WMY (0.131) and Fat percent (-0.156); Hearth girth with WMY (0.125) and Fat percent (-0.155) and Body length with Fat percent (-0.139) respectively.
Milk yield and milk parameters.
- Aggarwal Anjali, Ashutosh, Veena Mani, Parveen Kumar and Harjit Kaur. (2008). Antioxidant Status in Relation to body condition score in periparturient crossbred cows. Indian J. Anim. Nutr., 25: 231-235.
- Balakrishnan, M., Ramesha, K.P. and Chinnaiya, G.P. (1997). Effect of postpartum body condition loss on performance in crossbred cows : An assessment through body condition scoring. Indian J. Dairy Sci., 50: 393-397
- Berry, D. P., F. Buckley, and P. Dillon.(2007). Body condition score and live-weight effects on milk production in Irish Holstein-Friesian dairy cows. J. Dairy Sci., 1:1351.
- Bhakat (2004) Body Condition Scoring system and its relationship with productive performance of Murrah buffalo and Crossbred cows ; M.V.Sc. Thesis, submitted to NDRI Karnal, Haryana.
- Chavan and Siddiqui (2012) Studies on Body Condition Score on Productivity of Murrah Buffaloes, M.V.Sc. Thesis, submitted to MAFSU, Nagpur.
- Dechow,C.D., Rogers,G.W., Sander-Nielsen.U., Klel.L., Lawlor.T.J., and VanRaden .P.M.,(2004) Body Condition Scores and dairy form Evaluations as indicators of days open in US Holsteins. J. Dairy Sci.,8 : 3534-3541.
- Ferguson, J. O., D. T. Galligan, and N. Thomsen. (1994). Principal descriptors of body condition score in Holstein cows. J. Dairy Sci. 77:2695.
- Gulinski. P., Mlynek.K., Litwinczuk .Z., Dobrogowska .E., (2005). Heritabilities of and genetic and phenotypic correlations between condition score and production and conformation traits in Black- and –white cows. Animal Science papers and Reports 23: 33-41.
- Holter JB, Slotnick MJ, Hayes HH, Bozak CK, Urban WE and McGilliard ML (1990). Effect of prepartum dietary energy on condition score, postpartum energy, nitrogen partitions, and lactation production responses. Journal of D Science 73: 3502–3511.
- Jilek.F., Pytloun.P., Kubesova., Stipkova.M.,Bouska.M.,Volek.J.,Frelich.J.,Rajmon.R. (2008). Relationships among body condition score, milk yield and reproduction in Czech Fleckvieh cows. Czech. J. Anim.Sci.,53: 357-367.
- Jogi. R.V.K. and Patel, U.G. (1978). Body measurements and their relationship with milk yield and fat percent. Guj. Vet ., 9(1/2): 12-18.
- Kadermideen.H.N. and Wegmann. S.(2003). Genetic parameters for body condition score and its relationship with Type and production Traits in Swiss-Holsteins. J Dairy Sci.86: 3685-3693
- Katok.N. and Yanar. M., (2012) Milk traits and estimation of genetic, phenotypic and environmental trends for milk and milk fat yields in Holstein Friesian cows. International J.of Agriculturre and Biology 14: 311-314
- Kumar , S. and Bhatnagar, D.S. (1980). Conformation ratings in Sahiwal and Brown Swiss–Sahiwal crossbred cows. Indian J. Dairy Sci., 33b: 145-147.
- Mushtaq Anila, and Muhammad Subhan Quereshi (2009). Variation in milk composition and its relationship with physiological states and management in crossbred cattle under tropical conditions.
- Petrovic .G.., Mlynek.K., Litwinczuk .Z., Dobrogowska .E., (2009). Heritabilities of and genetic and phenotypic correlations between condition score and production and conformation traits in black- and –white cows. Animal Science papers and Reports 23: 33-41.
- Puranik D.B, Nagabhushan V, Appanavar.M.M (2000) Studies on effect of breed and stage of lactation on the milk composition in HF X Deoni and Jersey X Deoni crossbred cows. Department of Dairy Science, Bidar, Karnataka Indian Vet J., 38: 211-219.
- Rao, C.S. and Venkayya, D. (1973). Effect of body measurements and age on milk production of Ongole cows. Indian Vet J., 50: 217-230.
- Snedecor, G.W. and Cochran, W.. G.(1967). Statistical Methods, 8th Edn. USA State University Press.
- Veerkamp, R.F. (1998). Selection for economic efficiency of dairy cattle using information on live weight and feed intake : A review. J.Dairy Sci., 81 : 1109-1119.
- Waltner, S. S., J. P. McNamara, J.P. (1991). Relationships of body condition score to milk production traits. J Dairy Sci., 74 (Suppl 1): 254.